Food for thought: Nuclear explosion video

Perun

His name struck fear into hearts of men
Staff member
Found this on Facebook today:

Japanese artist Isao Hashimoto has created a beautiful, undeniably scary time-lapse map of the 2053 nuclear explosions which have taken place between 1945 and 1998, beginning with the Manhattan Project’s “Trinity” test near Los Alamos and concluding with Pakistan’s nuclear tests in May of 1998. This leaves out North Korea’s two alleged nuclear tests in this past decade (the legitimacy of both of which is not 100% clear).

Each nation gets a blip and a flashing dot on the map whenever they detonate a nuclear weapon, with a running tally kept on the top and bottom bars of the screen. Hashimoto, who began the project in 2003, says that he created it with the goal of showing”the fear and folly of nuclear weapons.” It starts really slow — if you want to see real action, skip ahead to 1962 or so — but the buildup becomes overwhelming.

The original link is: http://memolition.com/2013/10/16/time-lapse-map-of-every-nuclear-explosion-ever-on-earth/

I'm pretty speechless. Whoever said the 50s and 60s were the good old days?

Oh, I saw that just recently. I had no idea so many had been set off on the US mainland. I don't remember Britain doing any in the 80s, either.

The good old map. Puts things in an interesting (or for some: different) perspective!

Last edited:
I had no idea so many had been set off on the US mainland.

Yeah, that astonished me as well. It's crazy to think there are still people who say that mutual assured destruction is a guarantee for safety.

I felt especially uncomfortable watching those flashing dots for Hiroshima and Nagasaki, too.

Yeah it's kinda scary to know just how many nuclear explosions have occurred over the years.

If not mistaken none in Europe (if we do not count the most western parts of the USSR).

edit: and none in South America

Last edited:
Back