Font rip-off

Wicker Man

Trooper
[img src=\'http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVShows/img2/Programs/Idol3/hedleyCOVER2_240.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]
Saw this CD in a store a few days ago. I'm just commenting on it. I know they didn't steal it from Maiden and I know that Maiden didn't even come up with their writing style and that they got it from a movie poster.

Pfft, probably not, they're one of those emo/pop punk bands.

[a href=\'http://www.hana-b.co.uk/wrongmusic.com/index1.html\' target=\'_blank\']http://www.hana-b.co.uk/wrongmusic.com/index1.html[/a] Look at the company's logo! Thing is this bunch are really cool friendly guys so I wouldn't badmouth them for it though!!

I've seen the "maiden" font used on several other things before. On VH1's Metal Mania TV show, the font for "Metal Mania" is in the font that maiden uses. Ironically enough though, the only Maiden stuff I've ever seen on the show is the Wasted Years and Aces High promo videos, and Running Free from Live After Death, but trimmed down to about 4 minutes, taking out the part when Bruce interacts with the crowd. Basically, Metal Mania is about 95% glamour and hair metal. I've also seen the maiden font on the logo for V-Rock, a radio station in the game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Also, Edguy's logo has a font that reminds me of the maiden font.

[!--QuoteBegin-edbaldhead+Dec 14 2005, 09:20 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(edbaldhead @ Dec 14 2005, 09:20 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The font is called "Metal Lord"
[snapback]125018[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Only because the folks who market the "Metal Lord" font probably determined there were problems with calling the font "Iron Maiden". Problems like Rod Smallwood coming after them with a team of lawyers and ripping them a new one.

I mean, is there anything metallic about the font itself? No. It's just a font. The only metallic thing is the association with Maiden. Anyone calling this font "Metal Lord" is obviously going after people who want the Maiden font.

I've seen several imitations of the Maiden font, with different names. "Metal Lord" is just one of the many pretenders.

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Dec 19 2005, 06:18 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Dec 19 2005, 06:18 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Only because the folks who market the "Metal Lord" font probably determined there were problems with calling the font "Iron Maiden". Problems like Rod Smallwood coming after them with a team of lawyers and ripping them a new one.

I mean, is there anything metallic about the font itself? No. It's just a font. The only metallic thing is the association with Maiden. Anyone calling this font "Metal Lord" is obviously going after people who want the Maiden font.

I've seen several imitations of the Maiden font, with different names. "Metal Lord" is just one of the many pretenders.
[snapback]125441[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I have my suspicions about the font.

It's kind of accepted now that Steve "stole" the font from the film poster to "The Man Who Sold The World", however I doubt this, or at least think the evidence is circumstantial.
Steve worked as a draughtsman during the 70's, and as such would have had access to various types of font etc. I believe that the Maiden font must have already been in existence, and hence when the band claim that Steve created the font, the probably mean that he looked through a book of fonts and chose that one to use for the band logo. It can just be a coincidence that the same font was used in the Bowie film. I would imagine earlier examples could be found if you were to look hard enough.

[img src=\'http://www.sanity.com.au/coverscan/375000/372734.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Dec 21 2005, 05:01 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Dec 21 2005, 05:01 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Wrong. If I recall correctly, Steve has admitted to stealing the font from that poster.
[snapback]125597[/snapback]​
[/quote]

do you have a link etc?

[!--QuoteBegin-edbaldhead+Dec 22 2005, 04:51 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(edbaldhead @ Dec 22 2005, 04:51 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The Metal Lord font available right here on the maidenfans.com website in the downloads section, was created by larabiefonts.com in April of 2005.
[snapback]125643[/snapback]​
[/quote]

wtf? No, I had the metal Lord font on my PC waaay before April this year... I'm absolutely sure of that... [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Nephellim+Dec 22 2005, 05:15 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Nephellim @ Dec 22 2005, 05:15 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--][img src=\'http://www.sanity.com.au/coverscan/375000/372734.jpg\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]
[snapback]125635[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I had a consert pic with green day , and this logo in the background..

Nothing to do with GreenDay but what the heck:

[attachment deleted by admin]

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Dec 13 2005, 04:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Dec 13 2005, 04:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Just a sign of Heley's lack of creativity.
[snapback]124986[/snapback]​
[/quote]
[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] I've never even heard of them.

The font was also used in Vice City on the sign for Love Fist's Steel Heart and Stone Cold Prostate Tour. Steve didn't create it, its just a style of lettering used for ages. I doubt it was called Metal Lord initially, after all it was probably Maiden that got it popularity. The likely thing is whoever named it thought Maiden created it.

Hey, there's always been something like this in the metal world. Take a look at Behemoth's early records. (Grom, From the Pagan Vastlands etc.) The font is a direct rip-off of Bathory. And what about Mama's Boys? The font for their logo was kind of familiar...

I've seen the font used on a Spanish bathroom cleaner bottle.

Back