Fender Steve Harris P-Bass

There is no need to hesitate because it's made in the Mexico plant. Same as with the US made, there are a few units that shouldn't have passed QC, but they are few. Mexico strats are nowadays equipped with electronics and pickups of the same stature as the US ones are and the craftmanship is pretty much the same (much of the manufacturing process is done by CNC machines in any case). At this point, the difference is in location only (excluding custom shop etc), not in quality.

Last edited:
There is no need to hesitate because it's made in the Mexico plant. Same as with the US made, there are a few units that shouldn't have passed QC, but they are few. Mexico strats are nowadays equipped with electronics and pickups of the same stature as the US ones are and the craftmanship is pretty much the same (much of the manufacturing process is done by CNC machines in any case). At this point, the difference is in location only (excluding custom shop etc), not in quality.

And do you think it's possible to change strings from the factory setup of 050-075-095-110 easily to a thinner standard set of 40-60-80-100? Or are there any major issues to be expected in that case? Of course a general setup then needs to be done (adjusting the neck etc). I play guitar mainly, so that's why I'm not into bass knowledge too much.

And do you think it's possible to change strings from the factory setup of 050-075-095-110 easily to a thinner standard set of 40-60-80-100? Or are there any major issues to be expected in that case? Of course a general setup then needs to be done (adjusting the neck etc). I play guitar mainly, so that's why I'm not into bass knowledge too much.
I only play guitar as well, but yeah, string height, truss rod adjustment etc should do the trick.

And do you know (or anybody else here) if Steve does play a Mexico crafted bass too? This would actually surprise me.
He plays his original bass (as said in the Steve Tour Rig video) Not a replica, and if he was it would be a 10k dollar Custom Shop, like the ones Dave and Jan usually are sporting.

Last edited:
Back