1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fear of the Dark

Discussion in 'Fear Of The Dark' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2004.

?

How good is Fear of the Dark on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

40.6%
  2. 9

40.6%
  3. 8

15.6%
  4. 7

3.1%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Poto

Poto Educated Fool

9/10. Almost a 10. Fantastic song, and live it's just immense.

What a surprise this album was for me. Just finished listening to it, and I actually thought it was a stinker. It's been a while since I heard through it, and I can't say I remember it being a good album. Except for maybe the two worst moments in Maiden's career ever (Apparition and Weekend Warrior) it's all very good.

2. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

10/10

The closing number and title track is an absolute classic. It’s a masterwork from the sweeping, almost storybook-esque intro to the romping verses, anthemic chorus, and glorious guitar harmonies. This song would become a concert staple and the live versions (especially Rock in Rio) are even better than the studio recording. Fear of the Dark is a song of pure magic that stacks up with any of Maiden’s golden-era recordings.

3. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

It may not be the finest work of art, but god it's catchy. Superb live crowd involvement song with great atmosphere.

4. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

There's no denying this song is ranked among the Maiden classics because of its live power. This studio version actually sounds a bit better than I remember. Maybe it's because I just endured Weekend Warrior and at this point just about anything is better, but the energy is definitely there. I can see how this would be a fun live song, although the intro is really slow on this. Once it gets going though it's fun to listen to. Still not my favorite Maiden tune, but it ends the album on a mid to high note. Great guitar melodies throughout.

5. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

A classic. Superb atmospheric intro then that marvellous sudden tempo pickup. The pace changes in fact are what stand out most to be on this track. I like the way they cut in suddenly and there's several clever variations on it.

Lovely lead guitar melodies which encourage crowd participation. Likewise with the simple but effective chorus.

Lyrics are creepy and effective unlike other similar efforts from this era which come off as cheesy.

Superb song but ...... So long Bruce (for now).

6. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

How good is this song live? It still gives me chills. How good is this song on the album? Pretty good. I'll give it a 9/10. I'd give it an 11/10 on the all time live tracks though (best Iron Maiden live track).

7. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Fear of the Dark and Street Fighter II Ken's Theme Heavy Metal Mashup by Charlie Parra del Riego. Old School Heavy Metal and Old School Videogames.
    :)

@Zare
    @Niall Kielt
    @UpTheIrons