Fear of the Dark

How good is Fear of the Dark on a scale of 1-10?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Fear of the Dark

I don't really care about this track. It's both overplayed & overrated because of it's live value. It's live value is phenomenal, but we are here to rate studio tracks.
The intro is good, explosion from intro to fast riffs is epic, at this point i'd give it a straight 10. Then the verses and the first chorus, somewhat loses energy because (probably because chords are strummed). The main riff again, after second chorus, is quite unnecessary. Now, the instrumental part is among the best of '90s. But then, we get the same main riff again. The thing that bugs me about this track is complete lack of build-up, trademark Maiden thing. It's too cut in pieces by that main riff. The intro to second chorus builds well, then it gets severed. The instrumental part builds on itself greatly, then again it gets severed. Lyrics are effective. Not in-your-face, not poetry, but effective.

7 / 10.

P.S. I've seen Maiden only once @ SBiT tour. And i still don't really care about Fear Of The Dark. Nor it was a highlight of the show to me.

One of Maiden's most popular epics. It's not near one of their best epics, but it a great fucking song. Some great solos too.
I gave it an 8, it'a a low 8.5 for me.

This song kicks @$$ in many dimensions.

495/10

In term of being Over-Played, it's like "Number of the best" or "The Trooper" which means "No matter how many times, I can't get enough of this song!"

I'll give it as 6 on the album, but an 8 live. It's a good song, the intro really builds a creepy atmosphere, but it tends to drag.

I tend to empathize with those who think this song has fallen victim to being overplayed. But when I listen to it, it is hard to dispute that everything that is good about Maiden is here. It is a classic for a reason. Like the Trooper it should be a 10 just for being what it is. But because I am rationing my 10s, like The Trooper, it gets a very, very high nine.

i actually prefer the studio version on this one. That main riff sounds much faster and more agressive
9/10

Forostar said:
Still, this track was even present during the Somewhere Back in Time tour, and that really went to far.
An obsessive choice.

Agreed on this point. Otherwise I have no problem with this being a staple in the live set.
A classic live song, the studio version is on the whole not as good, but still very good. The pure energy in this song is fantastic, one of those which I find hard not to jump around to like a loon when I hear it. 10/10

A very fun song .. even moreso live ... I never get tired of this one.  10.

We all seem to be quite liking the FOTD album don't we. That's good as it doesn't deserve much of the criticism in my opinion. I give the title track an 8. One of the best on the album without a doubt.

Great studio song, incredible live song.  9/10 from me, I've always loved this tune regardless of how many times I hear it.

What can I say that hasn't already been said? It wasn't the first song I ever heard from the band, but it was the first live song. I think it was the A Real Live One version. Everybody I played a Maiden live album to instantly recalled this one.

No, it is not my favourite Maiden song, but it is the quintessential Maiden song, it contains every trademark the band ever had, both in the 80's and nowadays. 10/10.

8 out of 10... Great live... almost great for the studio cut. A strong track but never a personal favorite.

I hate this song. There is some good stuff going on but it isn't a good song at all. I give it a 2/10. The extra point because it works good live.

The Knife Master said:
I hate this song. There is some good stuff going on but it isn't a good song at all. I give it a 2/10. The extra point because it works good live.

Wut???!!?!?!

:p

Best track from FOTD. FOTD is one of those album's where listener's patience is rewarded - after listening to few nice songs and a bunch of crappy, you are awarded with a great closer. Live versions deserve 10, but the studio version gets a 9/10.

10/10, A great album closer, great live, great album track, great in every way, I like the build up of tension in the intro and the energy released when it kicks off. Maiden on top form... excellent stuff.

Easily the best song on this album and my second favorite song from the 90's (surpassed only by Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter). I prefer the version recorded at Rock In Rio because I heard it first (on Edward The Great compilation). Studio version misses the "ooooo" part and I feel strange when I listen to the studio version without it. 10/10.

Back