Favorite Maiden Live Album (2010 Edition, voting closed)

What is your favorite Maiden live album?

• Live After Death

Votes: 48 30.6%
  • A Real Live/Dead One

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Live At Donington

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Rock In Rio

Votes: 51 32.5%
  • Beast Over Hammersmith

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • BBC Archives

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Death On The Road

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Flight 666

Votes: 26 16.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
En Vivo! is probably my favorite out of them if I'm perfectly honest, even more than the classics like RIR And LAD. I can't really explain why.

RiR. The thicker sound of three guitars, and a band playing with a new lease of life. Energised performances all round, and a much larger back catalogue to choose a setlist from.

Rock in Rio is number one for me. Best live versions of nearly every song they played and the only live version for a lot of them too. Magical performance and lots of energy for sure

Are there any non-studio IM albums that you recommend. I am interested to know if there are any versions of Bruce singing Paul or Blaze songs, or Blaze singing any Paul or Bruce songs. Any re-recordings of older songs that have an improved production quality?
I'm not particularly interested in a live album that has all songs that can be found on the studio albums.

There are no live albums with Blaze, but I think there are a few live B-sides. I think they're all Blaze songs though, not Bruce or Paul songs.

Bruce sings a few old Paul songs on every live album ("Iron Maiden" at minimum). To find the largest selection of Bruce singing Paul tunes, seek out Beast over Hammersmith, recorded on Bruce's first tour. Setlist still had stuff like "Drifter", and Bruce sang a mean live "Drifter". For the most Bruce singing Blaze, go to Rock in Rio for a couple Blaze-era epics.

There's some more rare ones out there, like Bruce butchering Futureal on the Ed Huntour. Death on the Road also includes Lord of the Flies by Bruce.

I think they're all Blaze songs though, not Bruce or Paul songs.

The Futureal single has a live version of The Evil That Men Do and The Angel and the Gambler had an enhanced video of Afraid to Shoot Strangers (which can also be found on Visions of the Beast).

I'm an avid digital music purchaser if it is available. There's just something convenient about not having to deal with physical media taking up space in your house after you've loaded it on your computer and devices.
It looks like BBC Archives and Beast over Hammersmith aren't on itunes. They cost an arm and a leg on amazon too. I guess I'm SOL with those albums unless they put them on itunes.
I am interested in downloading tracks from some of the live albums if they're bruce singing paul or blaze era songs. Is there one album that has the "best" versions? It seems like some songs are repeated across many live albums. I should just listen to them on youtube and see if i notice any difference.
I would think that an older album may have a better version of the song, shortly after the album was released. Live after death seems like the go-to live album by most.

Early songs like Iron Maiden, Sanctuary, Running Free are set list mainstays. I think the album with the most old material is a Real Live Dead One (6 songs from the debut album performed) but not necessarily the best versions of these songs.

As for live albums, there is no way around Live After Death. Maiden England 88 and Rock in Rio are two other good ones.

Death on the Road probably has my favourite setlist out of the live albums they've done, and I like the playing a lot so it gets my vote. The editing however makes the DVD a less than perfect experience. As for DVD's and considering both audio and visuals, En Vivo!, Rock in Rio or Maiden England '88 are certainly the best. (Really like the editing on the first one, the addition of splitscreens is superb.)

Was a close call between Rock in Rio and Best over Hammersmith. RiR has more good songs and is an amazing album. But I just love the energy from the band on Beast over Hammersmith, and Bruce sounds like a God on that one, it's crazy.

Too bad we didn't get a ED-Huntour Live CD

Best Setlist they've had

Good setlist, but I don't think it would have been a good live album. I have one boot from that tour, and it's not actually very good.

If you want to hear the modern band play classics on a live album, then go with Flight 666. It's exponentially better than Ed Huntour was.

Voting is now closed. Look for the 2015 poll that will be stickied in this forum shortly.

Rock in Rio wins over my beloved Live After Death. We'll see about the next one, chuckleheads! :p

Back