Favorite Maiden Live Album (2010 Edition, voting closed)

What is your favorite Maiden live album?

• Live After Death

Votes: 48 30.6%
  • A Real Live/Dead One

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Live At Donington

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Rock In Rio

Votes: 51 32.5%
  • Beast Over Hammersmith

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • BBC Archives

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Death On The Road

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Flight 666

Votes: 26 16.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For years and years, it was 'LIVE AFTER DEATH'.
Then, 'ROCK IN RIO' was awesome.

'DEATH ON THE ROAD' pleased me very much.

But, I have to go with 'Flight' because it is ...perfect.

RiR, BNW is my favourite album so RiR naturally has the winning setlist. It's also one of the things that really turned me from "Quite like this Iron Maiden stuff" to "Must.. get more, MORE I SAY".

Energetic performance, fantastic sound and honestly just all round awesome. 'Sloppy' or not, Janick's solo on Hallowed blows me away every time I watch the gig.

Love Rock In Rio, but it's Live After Death for me. Can't beat the original. I still remember spending hours reading the gatefold sleeve (that's one for the oldies!!)

Has to be LAD. Flight 666 and BOH are awesome too!

Surprised that Eddies Archives has gone unnoticed. Donington 88 is incredible. The crowd singing the chorus on Wratchild is EPIC!!! Great version of Infinite Dreams too. Proper classic Maiden!!!

I have a particular fondness for Death on the Road. I remember watching their performance of "Journeyman" on TV one time as I was flipping through the channels a while back, and all of a sudden Maiden was right there performing this beautiful piece. Breathtaking stuff. <3

As a lil kid I thought when I heard fear of the dark on a real live/dead one that was best performance ever. Then years later came fear of the dark rock in rio version and that pretty much ends that discussion

Rock in Rio for me, followed by Death on the Road. RiR was the first live album I owned (by any band, actually...), and I still think it has an excellent tracklist. Highlights for me are "The Wicker Man" (generally an awesome song), "Sign of the Cross" and "The Clansman" (both of which outstrip the studio versions). I love the way Bruce introduces "The Clansman" as "Here's a song for everybody out there...a song based in medieval Scotland". Gotta love it!

Rock in Rio for me, followed by Death on the Road. RiR was the first live album I owned (by any band, actually...), and I still think it has an excellent tracklist. Highlights for me are "The Wicker Man" (generally an awesome song), "Sign of the Cross" and "The Clansman" (both of which outstrip the studio versions). I love the way Bruce introduces "The Clansman" as "Here's a song for everybody out there...a song based in medieval Scotland". Gotta love it!
The intro to RTTH is better:p "We wanna make new metal songs, we wanna make new records, and we wanna keep fucking rocking, well into the next fucking century.....which is a bit difficult, tall order, but we'll try. In the meantime, this is a song that a lot of you WANT to hear, and you fucking deserve to hear it....so we're gonna play it for you now

The intro to RTTH is better:p "We wanna make new metal songs, we wanna make new records, and we wanna keep fucking rocking, well into the next fucking century.....which is a bit difficult, tall order, but we'll try. In the meantime, this is a song that a lot of you WANT to hear, and you fucking deserve to hear it....so we're gonna play it for you now

Bruce definitely has a way with words.

Although Live After Death is a classic, I went with Rock in Rio because there is an energy captured on that album that escapes all of the others. The band's energy, the crowd's energy, it's like listening to the explosion of a star.

The only other Maiden live album with that kind of energy, IMO, is Beast Over Hammersmith, but it's a completely different vibe. That's a band just beginning their prime that has everything to prove and does it with gusto.

Rock in Rio for me. It was the first Maiden live album I heard and Brave New World is my favorite album, so yeah. I also love their three guitar sound so much that going back to the live albums with just two guitars is difficult. Flight 666 is another fantastic album.

For me, it has to be Live after death - it simply is a fantastic live album with full of energy - the full version of Running Free at Long Beach Arena is just sheer class and demonstrates why Bruce is such a performer with style :)

Considering how it's been officially released as a separate CD now, wouldn't it make sense to add Maiden England to the list now?

Personally, I'm not sure which live album is my favorite. All of the recent live albums have Bruce in far better form than any of the live albums from the Eighties or Nineties aside from Beast Over Hammersmith, but the setlists are usually all too similar and sound a bit same-y. Whereas the band generally always sounds inspired and full of energy on the live albums from the Eighties, but Bruce's performances are far more spotty from song to song.

Personally, I'm not sure which live album is my favorite. All of the recent live albums have Bruce in far better form than any of the live albums from the Eighties or Nineties aside from Beast Over Hammersmith, but the setlists are usually all too similar and sound a bit same-y. Whereas the band generally always sounds inspired and full of energy on the live albums from the Eighties, but Bruce's performances are far more spotty from song to song.

Absolutely agreed about Bruce. He has a lot of spirit and energy on those old recordings, but even his performance on most of Live After Death (which a lot of people consider to be the benchmark Maiden live album) can't compare to the quality of his voice on Rock in Rio and beyond.

Absolutely agreed about Bruce. He has a lot of spirit and energy on those old recordings, but even his performance on most of Live After Death (which a lot of people consider to be the benchmark Maiden live album) can't compare to the quality of his voice on Rock in Rio and beyond.

Yeah, although I think Bruce does pretty good on both LAD and ME on a lot of the newer or lesser played songs. He sounds awful on songs like Hallowed Be Thy Name or the other "classics" though, yet he somehow sounds more into those songs than he does on the more recent live albums, regardless of the fact that he's giving far superior technical performances.

I really do hope the band releases a live album of this current tour though; the setlist is great and everyone in the band (especially Bruce) seems into it and has been giving great performances.

It was a rather close call, but I voted for Rock in Rio. Amazing song selection (one of the last opportunities to see Blaze-era songs live - SotC, The Clansman and also all the great BNW tunes), great performance (I love Davey's solo on SotC here) and a wonderful crowd. And it was actually the first live Maiden album I've heard (and seen) (so there's the nostalgia factor).

Live After Death however has Mariner, Powerslave and Revelations. In the end I voted for Rio, partly because of Bruce's vocals (his performance on LAD IMHO leaves something to be desired).

It's good En Vivo! is not in the poll, it would be even harder to pick one. :bigsmile:

I owned LAD and Maiden England, Flight 666 ordered online, my brother just got me Rock in Rio and Death on the Road.
I loved ME's set list - Heaven Can Wait, Killers, Clairvoyant, Moonchild, Die With Your Boots On.....I think the mix good also. LAD is a classic, but as far as vocal struggles, I'm not sure how to put into words Bruce's sound during Maiden England. For example, listen to the chorus of Wasted Years on Maiden England "Soooooo understand....." I'm listening to Rock in Rio this week - I've got a feeling it will threaten the other albums for top slot. Looking forward to Paschendale on DotR when I'm ready to give it a proper listen. However, Flight 666 has so many classics on it, looking forward to that one showing up too.

So much material! Next I'll have to pick the best singles from the bunch, I've got 4-5 versions of some songs.

Back