Favorite Maiden Guitarist (2010 Edition, voting closed)

Who is your favorite Iron Maiden guitarist?

• Dave Murray

Votes: 47 32.2%
  • Adrian Smith

Votes: 82 56.2%
  • Janick Gers

Votes: 17 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1) No, Dave was my favourite already but AtG proved that 100%
2) I'm not sure, but the solo seemed so melodic and 1986 Adrian-y, it had to be him. I guess it had similarities with some other Adrian stuff. However, the tapping part in Adrian's solo (which I originally thought was Dave's) did seem suspicious, as there was a similar part in Adrian's Caught SiT solo.
3) Coincidentally, I started listing the solos today, I guess I can start revealing them in 2-3 days?
I had the same feeling. it's like an Adrian solo played by Dave... totally Dave's sound though. and Adrian outplays Dave through the album.

not really, all those oriental-sounding solos are Adrian's. I think Adrian shines more on that song too, but it just happens that Dave's solo is better.

The only oriental sounding solo on AtG is Dave's. The other three are Adrian's. You might be confusing lead melodies and interludes with solos.

The only oriental sounding solo on AtG is Dave's. The other three are Adrian's. You might be confusing lead melodies and interludes with solos.
yes, I mixed up everything intentionally. I was obviously talking about the interludes, that macedonian popular song is what I called oriental...

Currently i'd say Dave, but I think I need more time to learn more about which solo is which before deciding. Haven't gotten a full grip on everyone's style. Of course this is embarrasing to say on an Iron Maiden forum but yes i'm not as hardcore as everyone else here. Maybe that will one day change.

Voting is now closed. I will be starting the 2015 poll momentarily.

Adrian Smith wins the TFF-era poll by a convincing score!

This thread remains open for comments.

I voted Dave but it was a very tough call.

Adrian- He is probably the greatest guitarist of all time when it comes to structuring a solo. It is very easy to split his solos into sections.just listen to the tropper, caught somewhere in time or number of the beast. The guy will perform a lick for 3/4 of a bar, have a small transition phase and move n the next. His solos are works of art. He is also the best songwriter of the 3 and has written many of the bands best songs including Paschendale, Starblind, Brighter than a thousadsuns, Wasted years and The Prisoner.

Janick- Janick has proved that he can write and play exellent solos. Listen to Sign of the cross Wasting love, The Legacy, Blood Brothers, Como estais Amigos and 2am for hs best work. The problem is he is nowhere near as perfect as H and Dave an can butcher solos live. His stage presence (sp?) is phenomenal and he really tries his best and gives each show his all. Janick is also an excellent songwriter. Dream of mirrors, Danceof death, Ghost of the navigator, The legacy,The talisman, como estais amingo. enough said.

Dave- He has been in maiden from the beginning. As far as im concened Dave murrays sound is iron maiden. He played a major role in creating the legendary, influencial sound that is iron maiden. Dave has proved that he can solo. Whether it be lightning fast (brave new world) or slow ( powerslave ) His solos are always smooth and melodic and he has developed a legato technique that could possibly be the best in world. His songwriting skills are good ( TLBLAH, stillife, breeg etc ) but his first powerslave solo for me is greatest guitar solo ever.

Very well put, I second this. And that last bit (about Dave's Powerslave solo)... music to my ears.

Back