1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite Maiden album to least favorite Maiden album

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by Edthehead96, Jun 13, 2011.

1. DJMayes

DJMayes Educated Fool

I just feel more DOD songs get classed as filler than on other albums, though not necessarily as bad filler. Though I love it all so may be speaking out of my backside!

Masterpieces

1 - The Book Of Souls
    2 - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
    3 - Dance Of Death

Classics

4/5 - Somewhere In Time
    4/5 - Fear Of The Dark
    6 - The Number Of The Beast

Great

7 - Powerslave
    8/9 - Iron Maiden
    8/9 - Piece Of Mind

Good

10/11 - A Matter Of Life And Death
    10/11 - Brave New World

Some Issues

12/13 - Virtual XI
    12/13 - The Final Frontier

Flawed

14 - Killers
    15 - No Prayer For The Dying
    16 - X Factor

bornless1 likes this.
  2. I put together my list based on the amount of songs I'd choose from each album I'd have in a playlist if I had limited room.

Tier 1: (All songs)

Somewhere in Time (+ b sides)
    Powerslave (+ b sides)
    Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (+ b sides)
    Piece of Mind (+ b sides)
    The Number of the Beast

Tier 2: (75% of songs)
    Final Frontier
    Brave New World
    No Prayer for the Dying
    The Book of Souls

Tier 3: (50% of songs)
    Dance of Death
    A Matter of Life and Death

Tier 4: (25% of songs)
    Fear of the Dark
    Killers
    Iron Maiden
    The X Factor

Tier 6: (None ... however I might add Futureal & Clansman from Rock in Rio)
    Virtual XI

3. Albie

Albie Keeping an open eye on the Weeping Angels.

I see that quite a few seem to regard Killers as a sub standard album. I'm a little shocked at this, fair enough it's your opinion but that album is an absolute cracker of an album. For me, every track ranges from ridiculously brilliant (Wrathchild, title track) to very good (Innocent Exile, Drifter). There is not one baf track on this album and I'd rank this album in my top three.

4. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Killers seems to be the most hotly-debated album in the discography, at least on this forum. Some people think it's one of the greatest things the band has ever done, some people (like myself) think it's a pile of poorly-constructed leftover songs with repetitive verses and a lack of that true Maiden sound.

Whatever we all think about the whole album, most of us can at least agree that Ides, Murders, Killers, and Wrathchild (though overplayed) are all solid-to-great songs.

5. desultory

desultory 1-2-3-compassion

I agree, add Genghis, Prodigal and Purgatory though:p

6. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

I rather like the album and would add the title track and I always dug the guitar work in Another Life

7. MrKnickerbocker

I will concede to adding Genghis. The others, not so much.

8. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

What's your beef with Prodigal Son, Knicks?

9. MrKnickerbocker

With the exception of the back-to-back Dave Murray solos, it's just not very good.

10. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

Both you and some people are right.

11. Ariana

Ariana Purple leopard

I'll be honest. I don't care for anything on Killers except for the title track and Purgatory.

12. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

I prefer 11 Maiden albums over Killers. That said, Killers is still a good enjoyable record. Steve Harris likes it more than the debut. Adrian Smith might have the same opinion, dunno. :innocent:

I find Killers better than The Final Frontier, The Book of Souls, Virtual XI and Dance of Death because unlike these albums, Killers has no cringing strained voice, no off key voice, no annoying vocal melodies, no unoriginal recycling, no monotone repetition (at least not very long) and no dragging sleepfests.

13. Stardust

Stardust A Blue Sector Mirage

"No unoriginal recycling"

Are you sure we're talking about the same album? Killers has a LOT of recycling...mostly lyrics, though.

MrKnickerbocker likes this.
  14. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

I don't know well which other songs from Killers had the same lines/lyrics. Maybe you mean certain words are used a lot on the album.
    Well, indeed, this wasn't Maiden strongest lyric album (surprise me @mckindog ), but by Jove, it's fine that we have more on there.

15. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

I'll take Bruce's strained voice over Di'Anno's prime, every time. Plus Killers mostly has stupid cringy lyrics.

16. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

"Murders in the Rue Morgue" used to be my favourite Maiden song, along with "Run to the Hills", for a long time. I still think it is the album with the real, best Maiden sound (with probably the best album cover too). I think Maiden hasn't got any "perfect" album but Killers is among the best of them though. Too bad Bruce wasn't there yet (though I like Di'Anno's work on the first two albums, Bruce is definitely the landmark Maiden singer in my opinion).

bornless1 likes this.
  17. bornless1

bornless1 Messiah Supreme. True Leader of Men.

I never understood how killers isn't as beloved as the debut??... Song for song I like everything on killers better than IM. It just seems like a progression in talent, especially the song writing itself. Personally I have the first album way down there with only the two blazers' behind it.
    If the songs in killers are leftovers then it's like lasagna....tastes better the next day...

frus likes this.
  18. Great:
    The Final Frontier
    Powerslave

Very good:
    Piece of Mind
    Book of Souls
    A Matter of Life and Death
    Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
    Number of the Beast
    Dance of Death
    No Prayer for the Dying

Good:
    Brave New World
    Somewhere in Time
    Iron Maiden
    Killers

Mediocre:
    The X Factor

Weak:
    Fear of the Dark
    Virtual XI

19. ghkghk

ghkghk Invader

It's amazing how after hundreds of rankings, I've never seen any that matches mine.

Yours comes pretty close, if only AMOLAD was in the Great tier and well... No Prayer wasn't ranked better that SIT and BNW. At least at the same spot but ¿better? ¿than both?

20. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

By chronological order in each category:
    (It has to be said that I'm more of an album person than a song-by-song, iPod user type)

Great

Killers
    The Number of the Beast
    Powerslave
    Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Very good
    Iron Maiden
    Piece of Mind
    The Book of Souls

Good
    Somewhere in Time
    No Prayer for the Dying
    Fear of the Dark
    Brave New World
    (one excellent "side", one average)
    The Final Frontier

Once in a while listens (out of "faithfulness")

The X Factor
    Virtual XI
    Dance of Death
    (the one with the most variation in quality in my opinion, from excellent to "average" songs that spoil the listening experience)
    A Matter of Life and Death (had most of the songs been 33% shorter and the vocals treated differently, it would certainly have jumped to the "very good" category though)