1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite Maiden album to least favorite Maiden album

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by Edthehead96, Jun 13, 2011.

1. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

Perfect
    Brave New World
    A Matter of Life and Death

Great
    The Number of the Beast
    Powerslave
    The X Factor
    The Book of Souls

Good
    Piece of Mind
    Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
    Virtual XI
    The Final Frontier

Mediocre
    Iron Maiden
    Somewhere in Time
    Dance of Death

Weak
    Killers
    No Prayer for the Dying
    Fear of the Dark

2. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

1.) A Matter of Life and Death
    2.) The X Factor
    3.) The Final Frontier
    4.) Powerslave

Killers
    5.) Somewhere in Time
    6.) The Book of Souls (this one has grown upon me a lot)
    7.) Dance of Death
    8.) Fear of the Dark

The Final Frontier (before the Great Big Sink)
    9.) Brave New World
    10.) Piece of Mind
    11.) Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

Powerslaves (or Slaves to the Power of Death)
    12.) Virtual XI
    13.) The Number of the Beast

No Prayer for the Dying
    14.) No Prayer for the Dying
    15.) Iron Maiden
    16.) Killers

3. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

I think that is a good point. The unit of measure here is an entire album and how that collection of songs works together is a big factor. The real question is, can something be greater(or less than) the sum of its parts. I would say most assuredly, they can.

I gave El Dorado as an example, works better in context of the album that as an individual song. Same with Speed of Light. Ides of March is another clear example, good little instrumental piece, but works really well as a lead in to the album.

The same can be said in reverse, as a collection of songs, I rate the Blaze songs higher than I do the whole album, for the simple fact it is a chore for me to listen to them start to finish as I find the vocals to be so monotonous. So even though I think X Factor is a better collection of songs than FotD, I like FotD as a whole better for the simple fact that I can listen to it start to finish.

For the earlier albums, there is also the LP factor when they were meant to be listened to in 2 parts with a brief intermission to flip the side over and that effects the flow of the album. But even with the post LP albums, you have AMOLAD that flows so well from song to song. I would say it is even fair to give the artwork/packaging at least a small amount of weight when describing the experience of an album. Production weighs in here too, IM has a great collection of songs, but the album itself probably would be better with Birch producing it like he did with the later albums.

Then of course add in the time factor, some of the songs on FotD, probably their only album that really dates itseld based on the topics of some of the songs, whereas the rest of the albums have more of a timeless quality

I am planning on listening to the catalog again soon for the new round of song rankings, I have been in BoS mode lately, in that case, I treat the songs as individual entities, but even then you have the "live" factor. The songs FotD, IM, and ATSS being good examples of songs looking better .. same can be said with any of the Blaze songs that Bruce sang live

4. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Educated Fool

I have to put Chemical and En Vivo on the top, they're the ones I listen to the most, + chemical is my favorite metal album period... so sorry for breaking the rules. Here we go:

1. chemical wedding
    2. en vivo
    3. piece of mind
    4. powerslave
    5. number of the beast
    6. fear of the dark
    7. final frontier
    8. brave new world
    9. book of souls
    10. ssoass
    11. dance of death
    12. killers
    13. iron maiden
    14. amolad
    15. x factor
    16. somewhere in time
    17. virtual xi
    18. npftd

Black Bart likes this.
  5. Ariana

Ariana Purple leopard

Ah, fine. I'll give it a shot:

Perfect:
    1. The X Factor
    2. A Matter of Life and Death

Great:
    3. Piece of Mind
    4. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
    5. Brave New World
    6. Book of Souls
    7. Somewhere in Time

Good:
    8.The Final Frontier
    9. Iron Maiden
    10. Powerslave
    11. No Prayer for the Dying

Mediocre:
    12. Dance of Death
    13. The Number of the Beast
    14. Virtual XI
    15. Fear of the Dark

Weak:
    16. Killers

TheTalisman likes this.
  6. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

Following @jazz from hell 's idea, if I had to squeeze Bruce Dickinson's solo studio output between the Maiden albums, in reference to my list above:

(rank)12.5 Tyranny of Souls - some good ideas but too few memorable songs (the exception being "Kill Devil Hill" and, to a lesser extent, "Navigate the Seas of the Sun") and a production and leaflet that are not as professional as what Bruce had accostumed us to. It is clearly the album I like the least in his discography, though I still find it enjoyable once in a while.

10.5 Accident of Birth - had I adopted a "song-by-song" logic, it would rank much higher but I feel it is the album in which what I consider as fillers ("Toltec 7 Arrival", "The Magician", "Starchildren") or songs that could have been worked further ("Freak") tend to spoil the whole listening experience, despite the presence of tracks that are better than most of post-80s Maiden production in my opinion ("Darkside of Aquarius", "Road to Hell", the second half of "Omega" and of course the title track).

Still, it would rank a little ahead of Tattoed Millionaire (which I put before FF in the whole ranking), in which most of the songs do not live up to the greatness of the first three ("Son of a Gun", "Tattoed Millionaire" and "Born in '58). Honorable mention for "Gypsy Road" and "Hell on Wheels" though. The album is pleasant on the whole but lacks direction.

7.5 tie Skunkworks and Balls to Picasso
    If it weren't for the fact that Bruce Dickinson was tagged as "the ex-singer of Iron Maiden" then and could not thus go anywhere in mainstream music, I think these albums could have been much more successful. The inspiration is there (though "Shoot All the Clowns" was actually written "on order", with Aerosmith's Rocks in mind) and apart from "Fire" (on BTP) and "I Will Not Accept the Truth" (on SW), there is nothing in these two albums that I don't listen to with great pleasure.

5.5 The Chemical Wedding
    Nothing to complain about from start to finish. This album is criminally underrated in the metal community (not taking the Maiden fans into account of course). Some moments in "The Book of Thel" and "Jerusalem" sound actually better, to me, than the best Maiden has done. This album from 1998 also came at the end of a period when "hard" music in general was worked seriously by the labels as a physical product (just compare Queensrÿche's 1997 Hear in the Now Frontier and 1999 Q2K respective leaflets!!!). The quality of the artwork is almost a feat in itself considering how low profile was the label on which Chemical Wedding had been released originally (Air Raid records).

Recap:
    1. NOTB
    2. Powerslave
    3. Piece of Mind
    4. Killers
    5. Seventh Son
    6. The Chemical Wedding
    7. Iron Maiden
    8. Somewhere in Time
    9. TIED Skunkworks - Balls to Picasso
    11. The Book of Souls
    12. TIED No Prayer for the Dying - Fear of the Dark
    14. Accident of Birth
    15. Tattoed Millionaire
    16. The Final Frontier
    17. Brave New World
    18. The X Factor
    19. Dance of Death
    20. Virtual XI
    21. A Matter of Life and Death

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  7. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

I'll use my own rating system.

Great (*****)

1. Somewhere in Time
    2. Powerslave
    3. Piece of Mind
    4. A Matter of Life and Death
    5. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
    6. The Number of the Beast
    7. The X Factor
    8. The Final Frontier

Good/Very Good (****)

9. Brave New World
    10. Iron Maiden

Decent (***)

11. Dance of Death
    12. The Book of Souls
    13. Killers

Weak (**)

14. No Prayer for the Dying
    15. Virtual XI
    16. Fear of the Dark

Bad (*)

If I were to pick a "Perfect" album like some others have, Somewhere in Time and Powerslave would be my picks.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  8. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

If I was to throw Bruce solo albums in, The Chemical Wedding would be somewhere in the top 3, Accident of Birth would be in the "great" category somewhere, and everything else would be in the "good" category. Not sure where exactly.

9. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

I'd probably end up putting Chemical Wedding top if we included Bruce's own stuff. I just can't bring myself to class anything as 'perfect', no matter how much I like it. I can't imagine what could make an album perfect.

10. Dityn DJ James

Dityn DJ James A coma stole my name.

Perfect:
    1. Iron Maiden
    2. Somewhere in Time
    3. The Number of the Beast
    4. Powerslave

Great:
    5. The Book of Souls
    6. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
    7. Brave New World
    8. No Prayer For the Dying
    9. A Matter of Life and Death
    10. The X Factor
    11. Killers
    12. Piece of Mind

Good:
    13. Fear of the Dark
    14. Dance of Death

Mediocre:
    15. The Final Frontier

Weak:
    16. Virtual XI

11. eddie666

eddie666 Trooper

Perfect , or near as dammit,
    Killers
    Powerslave
    Piece of Mind
    Seventh Son
    No Prayer for the Dying
    The Final Frontier

Great
    Iron Maiden
    Brave New World
    Matter of Life and Death

Good
    Dance of Death
    Somewhere in Time
    Number of the Beast

OK
    Fear of the Dark
    X Factor
    Virtual XI
    Book of Souls - not sure if I'm warming to it or getting brainwashed by it.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    Forostar and Dityn DJ James like this.
  12. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

:ok:

13. Collin

Collin MARK IT ZERO!

I have been listening to Iron Maiden almost nonstop after my AiC phase and recently decided to update my rankings having let TBOS sink in a little.

Perfect

1. Somewhere in Time
    2. The Book of Souls
    3. The Final Frontier
    4. Powerslave
    5. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
    6. Brave New World

Great
    7. A Matter of Life and Death
    8. Piece of Mind
    9. Number of the Beast
    10. The X Factor

Good
    11. Dance of Death
    12. Killers
    13. Iron Maiden
    14. No Prayer For the Dying

Meh
    15. Fear of the Dark

Bad. Very Bad.

16. Virtual XI

soundwave likes this.
  14. StormTheTrooper

StormTheTrooper Running to the Hills

Now, after, TBoS releasing and tour hype:

(*****)
    Powerslave
    Somewhere in Time
    Chemical Wedding
    (****)
    The Book of Souls
    Brave New World
    Number of the Beast
    Dance of Death
    Piece of Mind
    Accident of Birth
    Tyranny of Souls
    (***)
    X-Factor
    Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
    No Prayer for the Dying
    Tattooed Millionaire
    Virtual XI
    (**)
    The Final Frontier
    Killers
    Balls to Picasso
    (*)
    Iron Maiden
    Fear of the Dark
    (-)
    Skunkworks

15. Lego

Lego Shadows in the stars, we will not return!

Updated:

1. A Matter Of Life And Death
    2. Caught Somewhere In Time
    3. The Book Of Souls
    4. Seventh Son
    5. Brave New World
    6. Killers
    7. Powerslave
    8. Dance of Death
    9. Piece of Mind
    10. No Prayer
    11. NOTB
    12. Virtual XI
    13. Iron Maiden
    14. The Final Frontier
    15. X Factor
    16. Fear Of The Dark

16. Niall Kielt

Niall Kielt Pulled Her At The Bottle Top

Piece of Mind

Seventh Son

Powerslave
    Brave New World
    AMOLAD
    Book of Souls
    Number of the Beast
    Somewhere In Time

Iron Maiden
    Killers
    The X Factor

Dance of Death
    Final Frontier

Virtual XI
    No Prayer

Fear of the Dark

Rating wise, the lowest probably gives the best perspective. FOTD is, for me, easily the worst. Like 2 out of 6 (Out of 6 gives better range, I think. Plus the guy from that other website does it). Although somedays it’s a 3.
    FOTD is really the only one I baulk at listening to. I normally only do it if Im going through the whole set or if I want to make sure Im content in my judgment of it. Ok, theres some good points (BQOBD, Judas, Fear) but generally I find myself trying to like it. I even enjoy parts of WW at times but if Im honest, theres little more than decent parts within dodgy songs and terrible lyrics. It sounds like a band thats creatively spent and trying to do something a bit different, more hard rock than metal in many songs. Fair play, but not for me. I don’t like the production, it sounds like everyone is far away from each other, or something. Annoying drums. Although, production wise, to me its reminiscent of WASPs Crimson Idol from the same year and I love that album. And to me, even Fear sounds wrong. Firstly, its miles better live (much like Hallowed) but the whole sound/style/ feel, it sounds like it belongs on a different album. Its like they walked into the studio with 3 or 4 decent tunes and had to fill out the rest and couldn’t be arsed with it (maybe this should be in a FOTD thread….)

After that NPFTD and VXI come in, patchy but listenable, both have great moments (Mother Russia, Clansman among others) and pish moments (Hooks, Angel, among others) but overall I can enjoy the spin. Both feature some good, tight riffs but both suffer from unavoidably guff lyrics (checking the declination? Enemas in public? Fuck me) and production I don’t really enjoy.

Then we’ve got DOD and TFF. Both have mega high points, I just don’t think they have stood the test of time so well. I struggle to put one above the other. DOD has some great moments in DOD, PFD, Rainmaker and I love elements of Face in the Sand and Mosnstegur but Age is possibly my least favourite Maiden tune and New Frontier and Gates are filler for me. TFF to me is the light compared to DODs dark, in feel. Again, I love parts of it (Talisman, Wild Wind) but for me it really just doesn’t flow. I like the fact that they did an unusual intro to the album and I like the fact that they tried different, really different things on Avalon and Starblind but I will never pick any of these songs to listen to unless Im listening to the full album. Interesting, adventurous, at times great but overall, in the cold light of day? Flat.

From here to the top its all good for me, great albums, each with stone wall classics and each with a different feel. Ill mention 2. The X Factor has a special place in my heart. Despite The Chug and the production, its darkly engaging and introspective and has some top tunes SOTC, Unbeliever) and Steve plays like a demon at times. I cant really put it higher on my list but I still love it and it has much more sentimental value to me than several albums which I ‘rank’ higher.

Piece of Mind is always number 1 for me. The songs, the words, the riffs, the sound (bass in particular), it all just sits right with me despite the slight second side dip. 7th Son maybe has higher high points and stronger ‘low’ points but somehow POM just always remains top every time I re-evaluate.

Outside the Top 2 and the Bottom 3, there is much alternation from day to day. And I almost find it unfair to put IM and Killers in this list for some reason, it doesn’t seem right to put them so low. That’s just how fuckin good this band is I suppose. What I love the most though is the fact that each album has a particular feel and memory and atmosphere and each one is worth revisiting (except FOTD).

17. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Still tempting you to say a bit more @Niall Kielt:
    - Why do you like (your favourite of the) first two albums less than Beast?
    - Do you agree that Dance of Death has more lows than most other albums, at least more than No Prayer? If yes, then why do you put it so relatively high? I often tend to think that people usually focus more on the good moments in the reunion era, but we should look at the total products.

18. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

1. The Number of the Beast
    2. Killers
    3. Powerslave
    4. Piece of Mind

5. Seventh Son of Seventh Son
    6. Somewhere in Time
    7. Iron Maiden
    8. Fear of the Dark
    9. Brave New World
    10. The Book of Souls
    11. The Final Frontier
    12. No Prayer for the Dying

13. Dance of Death
    14. The X Factor
    15. A Matter of Life and Death
    16. Virtual XI

Bruce:
    1. The Chemical Wedding
    2. Accident of Birth
    3. Skunkworks

4. Balls to Picasso
    5. Tattooed Millionaire TIED w/ Tyranny of Souls

jazz from hell likes this.
  19. Niall Kielt

Niall Kielt Pulled Her At The Bottle Top

Good point, I was slightly intoxicated last night when doing this. And I listened to NOTB and SIT in the last week and haven't heard IM or Killers in a while so that skewed my view. I would re-jig those 4 maybe but would have to listen again to cement it. Like most people, I'm sure, I find this hard outside my top and bottom pics.

RE DOD I'd say that I can enjoy a full listen more than NP, FOTD and VXI, the filler doesn't annoy me quite as much as it does on those other albums. Like, I'd listen to New Frontier 5 times before I'd listen to the Apparition or Hooks in You. So its not just the highs that I'm counting. Theres elements of most NP songs that I enjoy but over all I find it flat and get bored of it halfway through sometimes. Same with DOD, just not so much.

20. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

The way I see it, the tracks often dismissed as lows, or lacklustre, are still very much in the vein of DOD, carry the same atmosphere, and work in that respect. The only one I can do without is the opener. It's like they felt they had to throw in something upbeat as the opener to kick off the album. Pity it doesn't have the impact of the likes of Wicker Man.