1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

European Politics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Forostar, Jun 13, 2007.

1. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Just learned about Alice Weidel, top candidate for AfD in Germany, but apparently lives in Switzerland, is homesexual and raises two children with her partner, who is Sri Lankan. @Perun? Something's wrong here, right?

2. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

Members of this party are not exactly known for their intelligence or their lack of hypocrisy.

3. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

Isn't that alt-right in a nutshell?

4. jazz from hell

If you read her CV, she's got a summa cum laude doctorate in oeconomics, speaks fluent Mandarin, etc. Look it up, lack of intelligence certainly isn't her problem. And in a TV discussion that I checked out she was rhetorically just brilliant, superior to all of her opponents (Anne Will, obviously I'm not talking content). Also, she looks good.
    So she seems over-qualified for that party. But more importantly: why on earth would you choose a political career in a party that seems to clmpletely contradict your lifestyle and your whole personality? That's not hypocrisy, that's just sick.
    I don't get it.

5. Perun

You can have a PhD and still be stupid. But to address her motivation, I'm pretty sure that she's just interested in power, and that she picked the party that promised a quick and easy path there.

6. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Truth on both accounts. I talk to people with MDs every day who are as dumb as a post.

People do this all the time for power...not just politicians. I mean, think about people like faith healers, who are obvious fakes and abuse rules designed to protect honest displays of religion to bilk people out of money tax-free? Or guys like Alex Jones, there's no way he believes the shit he spews, but he makes millions. Or, hell, the biggest prosperity gospel salesmen of them all, the fucking President of the United States.

7. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Because it's okay when it's you/person from same background, it's just not okay when it's the hoi polloi.

8. jazz from hell

Yes, but those two don't strike me as particularly bright.
    hoi? polloi?
    Agree with that: My new theory is that Weidel's extremely interested in bringing in her economic ideas, because economy is where she probably is brilliant in. In the AfD, she can very much shape the party's position in that subject, which in a traditional party she couldn't do that at all. Like that she hopes to have more influence on general national economic politics. And for that she's prepared to take the other bullshit.

9. Onhell

Onhell Mexican Revolutionary

To me it's no different than nation hoping athletes. There's a glut of prospects for a particular discipline? Become a citizen of one that doesn't even have one! Like Canadian skiers, hockey players, bobsleders, et cetera going to Jaimaca, the U.S, Jamaica again, et cetera.

So why not in politics? As the others have pointed out, just like the athletes want a gold medal, these folks just want "gold," power, influence, etc.

bearfan likes this.
  10. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Dr. Eddies Wingman Brighter than thousand_suns

Some have accused the leader of the Norwegian Labour Party of being that kind of politician - a conservative who chose that party because that was where he had the best chances of becoming Prime Minister.

Today is election day in Norway and the polling stations just closed. The first prognosis (based on exit polls and the early votes that have been counted) indicates that the current governing parties and their alliance partners keep the majority ... by the skin of their teeth. The partners - the Liberal party and the Christian Democratic party - balance on the 4,0% cut-off limit. The Green party (environmentalists) are slightly below it. It will be exciting to follow the development as the counting proceeds tonight.

11. Dr. Eddies Wingman

For the record: I don't share the belief that the Labour leader is a Conservative in disguise. But he is wealthy and does come from a rather privileged background. Nice education from a French university and all. Maybe not what the party needed now, and I think he has struggled to get the unions behind him.

12. Onhell

Onhell Mexican Revolutionary

in the U.S that happens often. Ron Paul ran in the Republican primaries even though he is a libertarian, Trump ran Republican even though he's an idiot and Bernie Sanders ran Democrat even though he's an independent.

Night Prowler likes this.
  13. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Yes, but this is the Norwegian Labour Party and they have close ties to the unions. Plus the parties in Norway don't have primaries like the US presidential election. The leader is elected by the party congress after being nominated by their electoral committee, and approved by the congress (unless another candidate chooses to challenge and gets more votes). Also, the current leader (Jonas Gahr Støre) was Minister of Foreign Affairs and later led the Ministry of Healthcare under the Stoltenberg government (2005-2013), so he wasn't an outsider when he became leader.

Anyway, the election results in the Norwegian general election are now ready. Prime Minister Erna Solberg (Conservative party) stays in office, the Labour Party did their worst election after World War 2, but the remaining opposition parties are strengthened.

14. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

:lol:

To be fair, he couldn't very well have run as an idiot.

Magnus likes this.
  15. Perun

I agree with your assessment that she sees AfD as an opportunity to shape a political party towards her ideas, but I disagree with the rest. She is an economist, but she has not attracted much attention as an economic politician. She has no unique ideas, and all her statements are the same as the party's. She may have played a part in shaping the party's economic ideas, I don't know - but she is not aiming to be elected as an economist. The topics she has been most prolific with in her statements are the usual populist banter of the party - anti-Islam, anti-refugee, anti-media. There is nothing unique about her political stance. I think she's been chosen as the face of her party because she is homosexual and aggressive, two excellent ways for AfD to gain and retain attention. A party that has no substance but anger and no platform but protest can only survive through attention and controversy.

16. jazz from hell

Her family picture is extremely different to her party's. You're obviously closer to German politics than me, but in the few interviews I saw with her she ridiculed Höcke for his statement that German men must become more masculine, she was quite outspoken against racism at Markus Lanz, and even though she refused to explicitly say people like Höcke don't belong in the party, she made it clear that that's precisely her opinion.
    I think she's been chosen as the face of her party in spite of being homosexual etc., but because she's eloquent, smart, knows how to present herself.
    Yeah I also saw the beginning of one of her speeches in front of AfD disciples, that was unbearable, populist shit, had to stop watching after a few minutes. I'm not defending her for that, but it's probably the price she's willing to pay.
    Another thought I hear on and on about German politics is that the teaming up of CDU and SPD made the political landscape very uniform; in other words, Weidel would perhaps be a CDU politician, but as an euro- and immigrationsceptic she wouldn't be able to push her own views as much as she is now.

17. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

@Perun are you able to vote this weekend? If so, who are you considering?

18. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Merkel is pretty good at keeping the country together, despite some unpopular actions. She listens to her opponents. Makes policy out of opposition. She's a stable factor, which is important for Europe's most important nation.

19. Perun

Unfortunately not. If I were, I'd not vote for any of the parties that have a chance of making it to the parliament, so it's not a loss anyway.

20. Perun

That's a highly idealistic view. I oppose the idea of focussing on one single person on the top. We have a parliament, ministers, a supreme court, not to mention countless institutions on the various federal levels. This is a democracy, not a monarchy, ffs. It's not just Merkel, Merkel, Merkel. People aren't voting for the chancellor, they are voting for the parliament, no matter how much the electoral campaign tries to make it look otherwise. It's not the US. Moreover, this is the first time in the history of the Federal Republic that a far-right wing party will enter parliament, who have condoned acts of terrorism and put the crimes of the Nazis in relation, and it's precisely under the aegis of Merkel that this happened. This is not what I call 'keeping the country together'.

Onhell and Zare like this.