1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empire Of The Clouds

Discussion in 'The Book of Souls' started by SinisterMinisterX, Aug 22, 2015.

?

How good is Empire of the Clouds on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

55.2%
  2. 9

25.9%
  3. 8

10.3%
  4. 7

1.7%
  5. 6

3.4%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

1.7%
  8. 3

1.7%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

Definetely. Put something like 'the day the mistook park bench for an airship' to close it.

frus likes this.
  2. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Welcome aboard, Matt S! I've never heard the track but I will go and listen to it.

3. fekso

fekso Nomad

Dickson traditionally writes short, fast songs. Here it seems he wants to have a go at the progressive concept. I dont know, it feels as if it was made to be long for the sake of being long. 1/10

4. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

1 of 10 because of lenght and no other arguments? You need to learn how to judge songs. TRATB has a lot more problems for me, but I still gave it a 6.

Or you are just a troll.

5. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Yep, because Revelations, Brave New World, Powerslave, If Eternity Should Fail, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, Coming Home, Ghost of the Navigator, Journeyman, The Longest Day, Lord of Light, Wasting Love, These Colours Don't Run, Starblind, etc. are all short and fast and not progressive.

Zare and matic22 like this.
  6. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Don't forget all his solo short unprogressive rockers, like Book of Thel, Gates of Urizon, Darkside of Aquarius, and so on.

Zare, matic22 and MrKnickerbocker like this.
  7. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Never rated Dickson.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  8. matic22

matic22 H is shorter for God.

OOOH I see! He thinks that Alex Dickson wrote EOTC...

But even he can co-write amazing stories in songs like Penguins On The Moon with Sack Trick.

9. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

Alex Dickson is a great player.

10. fekso

fekso Nomad

No. I'm sorry for not spelling correctly on the internet. My mom must be so disapointedo_O

And how many of those songs are written by himself? Relevations, Powerslave, IESF right? I bet IESF was written with a solo band member and the other two are 33 years old. I'm just saying, that to me, EOTC is a bit out of character (compared to what he brought to the table for the last 20 years) and overthought (just putting a bunch of songs together into one big).

11. fekso

fekso Nomad

Highly unlikley that they were written by himself only.

12. fekso

fekso Nomad

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. fekso

fekso Nomad

I remember when TFF came out and everyone said WTWWB was the best Iron Maiden song ever. You dont really hear people say that anymore and I'm sure EOTC will go in that direction. Just like with The X Factor, time will reveal the quality of the songs. So many people that regard that album as the hidden diamond in the discography today.

Zare likes this.
  14. Magnus

Magnus Educated Fool

I think Empire is very overrated, and also that what you said

is unfortunately valid for quite a few other recent Maiden songs which sound like totally different ideas thrown together

fekso likes this.
  15. fekso

fekso Nomad

Although this sometimes work out. Murray and Harris had two separate songs that together became Benjamin Breeg.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  16. fekso

fekso Nomad

I feel a little bit shitty for slaming this song, but at this point with them being so popular (I was there in 1998 when they couldnt even breathe without being criticized) they could all fart into a microphone or record an extended version of The Angel or the Gambler and still reach the number one spot on Billboard.

The same way the albums from the 90's are being disregarded because Blaze is singing, the same way Maiden can record anything today and still generate a hype.

17. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Come to the Sabbath

That I would support.

18. fekso

fekso Nomad

Iron Maiden - The Angel and The Gambler [Extended 2017 version featuring Bruce Dickinson] Total length 19:03
    Including 40% extra"Dont You Think I Could Save Your Life", 20 % extra keyboards

19. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Come to the Sabbath

That would be awesome.

20. fekso

fekso Nomad

When playing it live Janick will introduce a new stage move - splits! While balancing a guitar on his head. Michael Kenney will appear onstage in an angel outfit while hanging over the band with the help of the Gene Simmons TM flying rig. Live version will also include an extended version of Nickos 2013 Sao Paulo drum solo and the singalong part from Running Free (also extended) that will give us a live version clocking in at 32:01