Electronic music: techno/trance/dubstep etc....

Wow, thanks to David Bowie (a few years ago he mentioned this kind of music in his top 25 albums) I just found out that electronic music originated in the Netherlands. It started in the second half of the fifties in an Eindhoven lab (the Philips Physics Laboratory). Behold, this is from the fifties!

Kid Baltan (Dick Raaijmakers) and Tom Dissevelt at Philips "Nat. Lab" 1959, explaining how electronic tape music is made. Broadcast by VARA television on January 17, 1959.

Translation from Dutch: 0:13 The tone you can hear comes from one of the twelve boxes you can see here and it is possible to get more tones from the other boxes, in order to form accords. I can show this now. 0:31 Here a low tone, here a high tone, and here an even higher tone. 0:37 This accord consisting of 4 tones I have recorded on a tape recorder 0:43 And I think I have enough, so I can switch this off 0:50 The composer indicates the way to edit the accord1:00 I want to show you this while this magneto phone is running by rewinding and fast forwarding of the tape 1:08 This way the pitch of this accord changes 1:10 I have recorded this on the tape recorder and by cutting a little piece of it also by indication of the composer of course and by joining the ends together you get a loop 1:26 And I can play back this loop on a magneto phone so this sound will be repeated 1:32 Here is this loop that is recorded on a tape recorder and I will show you how this sound is repeated 1:48 And we have the possibility to duplicate the sound we just heard and adding it by this machine 2:11 Besides electric sounds we can record natural sounds and cutting a loop of it 2:17 Of this I will show you some examples 2:20 I have here a sound of a alarm clock a foot step a wriggeling like figure and a tower clock

Just an incredible piece. Works of Aphex Twin are a recommendation of mine. Very hard to describe. This particular piece is on Drukqs, but his first album Selected Ambient Works 85-92 is a must listen.

Didn't know where else to post this. Dark Tranquillity is a melodeath band, but on their last album they recorded two Depeche Mode-ish songs as a bonus and they are better than almost all songs from the main album. Stanne's clean vocals always reminded me of Dave Gahan and I always wanted them to do something like this.

The cosmic synth/psych collective known as Arcadea has premiered a new song called "Infinite End" today. The song is found on the band's debut, self-titled album that's set for release on June 16th via Relapse Records. The record is available now for pre-order.

Arcadea consists of three cosmic forces, Brann Dailor (Mastodon) on vocals/drums, Core Atoms (Zruda) on keys/vocals/samples and Raheem Amlani (Withered) on keys/vocals, whose tales of space travel and galactic battles are chronicled on 10 prophetic songs. The trio utilizes crushing drums and psychedelic synth to tell the story of a future 5 billion years from now where galaxies have collided, leaving catastrophic disorder in its wake as war is waged among gods and planets, and Arcadea reign supreme as the last surviving space wizards since the final extinction.

One of my favorite artists, Parov Stelar (Marcus Füreder) who helped a ton of the incorporation of jazz swing samples in electronic music during the 00s and the general revival of swing.

Here from one of his finest works, Shine, 2007.

Parov Stelar - Homesick​

Back