Education levels of Maiden members

Bruce Dickinson has got some kind of degree in history. That's it.

As far as I know, 'Arry studied to become a draughtsman... I don't know if he succeeded, though!

As for the logo, he nicked it from the poster for a film with David Bowie. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

"The man who fell to Earth" by Nicolas Roeg !!!

I can't believe I had it under my eyes for years and never realised. Thanks for pointing that out.

[!--QuoteBegin-Pineapple Hunter+Oct 18 2005, 07:38 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Pineapple Hunter @ Oct 18 2005, 07:38 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]He got a 2:2, and as he explains, everyone else got that too. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]120564[/snapback]​
[/quote]
A "2:2"? I'm assuming that's a British term that I've not encountered before. Would anyone be kind enough to provide a translation or explanation for a poor American? [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-conorsdaman@hotmail.com+Oct 18 2005, 05:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(conorsdaman@hotmail.com @ Oct 18 2005, 05:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Sorry for going off topic.
I thought I read a topic about a month ago in which Syl told us she was leaving the forum. Is she back? Maybe i'm remembering falsely but there definitely was somebody who posted a thread like that.

PS who is Nicholas Roeg?
[snapback]120572[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I never said I was leaving the forum !?!?!?.
Nicolas Roeg is a film director who started making movies, in the early 70's. If you want to know more about him, go [a href=\'http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/directors/02/roeg.html\' target=\'_blank\']there[/a].

[!--QuoteBegin-conorsdaman@hotmail.com+Oct 18 2005, 05:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(conorsdaman@hotmail.com @ Oct 18 2005, 05:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Sorry for going off topic.
I thought I read a topic about a month ago in which Syl told us she was leaving the forum. Is she back? Maybe i'm remembering falsely but there definitely was somebody who posted a thread like that.
[snapback]120572[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I think you are, for some odd reason, confusing syl with Onhell, though I have no idea how that is possible.

Anyway, welcome back, syl [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

May I remind you that culture and education are two entirely different things? There are cultured people who don't have a single degree, and also people with PhDs who are as uncultured as the middle of the Sahara.

[!--QuoteBegin-Ascendancy+Oct 20 2005, 07:15 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Oct 20 2005, 07:15 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]steve harris must have been quite well educated, because he was able to write all these great songs. i can't really see fred durst writing about native americans(well in a racist sense mabye), ancient egypt, or alexander the great.
[snapback]120782[/snapback]​
[/quote]

It doesn't really require any sort of formal education. I was exposed to Cowboys and Indians from my earliest childhood on, and I'm pretty sure "Run To The Hills" would never have existed if Steve hadn't at least seen some of those films too. "Powerslave" was written by Bruce. And as for "Alexander The Great", you just have to go to a library and get the next best book, which, I think Steve did if I remember his comments in an interview correctly.
A school degree says nothing about your true education, as sad as it is.

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Oct 18 2005, 03:04 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Oct 18 2005, 03:04 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]A "2:2"? I'm assuming that's a British term that I've not encountered before. Would anyone be kind enough to provide a translation or explanation for a poor American? [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]120569[/snapback]​
[/quote]

In university exams over here, a first is the highest degree you can get. Then there's a 2:1, then a 2:2. It probably would equate to a C, but it's much better than a C you'd get at lower levels. A 2:2 is effectively a lower B, I suppose. Does sooty not have any qualifications??? I heard he got a BSc. [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Oct 20 2005, 04:05 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Oct 20 2005, 04:05 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]A school degree says nothing about your true education, as sad as it is.
[snapback]120796[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Isn't that a bit strong?! I certainly agree that an educated person is not guaranteed to be intelligent, cultured, open-minded or any of that good stuff. Nor is a person with no formal education guaranteed to be stupid, ignorant, uncultured, bigoted or any of that bad stuff.

I even agree that there is no strong correlation between formal education and the good stuff, nor between a lack of formal education and the bad stuff.

But I'm not sure I agree that there is no positive correlation whatsoever. If all you know about two people, A and B, is that A has a PhD in History from some decent, well-known university, whereas B dropped out of high school to work at McDonalds, then while I agree that it doesn't follow necessarily that A is more intelligent, cultured, open-minded, etc. than B, it does seem to me that you have good (though not conclusive) reasons for thinking that in fact he is smarter, more cultured, etc. than B.

Probably no one would actually disagree with this, but it seems that through sloppy or lazy use of language, a pretty obvious and benign platitude (i.e. that formal education doesn't guarantee intelligence) has been mistaken on this message board for a pretty obvious falsehood, i.e. that formal education and intelligence, culture and open-mindedness are completely unrelated.

College degrees (undergraduate unless otherwise noted)

Bruce (History, Honorary Ph.D in Music) *
Jan (sociology)*
Nicko (attended, did not complete)
Steve (professional program to be an architectural draughtsman)
Adrian and Dave left secondary school at 16

*Bonus, both Bruce and Jan passed A-levels.

Yea, pretty interesting too. I've always wondered what their college education was since I frequently read that at least Jan and Bruce went.

I thought Janick did his degree much more recently. Could be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere.

I read an interview that Nicko said that he did finished school by his parent's obligations. And got a mechanical engineering degree. But it's been ages since reading the interview.

Back