Dream Theater

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Dec 19 2005, 03:56 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Dec 19 2005, 03:56 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]There are definitely some links. Listen to the end of the "Six Degrees" album, and compare it to the beginning of "Train of Thought". Then listen to the end of "Train" and compare it to the beginning of "Octavarium". Get the picture? [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]125477[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Never noticed that. That's pretty cool! Also, in the begining of I Walk Beside You, there is that ticking clock sound from SFAM.

If you listen towards the end of "Mirror", you can hear the piano melody from "Space Dye Vest". It's on the album "Awake".

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Dragon+Dec 23 2005, 03:59 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Dragon @ Dec 23 2005, 03:59 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]If you listen towards the end of "Mirror", you can hear the piano melody from "Space Dye Vest". It's on the album "Awake".
[snapback]125734[/snapback]​
[/quote]

That is probably my favorite part of Awake. I love the piano melody in Space-Dye Vest. I think it even sounds more awsome during that part in Mirror.

I also really like how the piano melody from Wait For Sleep is altered a couple of times in Learning To Live.

The ol' "recurring riff phenomenon" eh? [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Space-Dye Vest doesn't ever get played live because it's "Kevin's song". Since it is the last track on the last album that he was on. Oh, and obviously because it's mostly piano at the start and he penned it.

For the first few months after I got Awake, Space-Dye Vest was pretty much my favorite song ever. Then I relized that Surrounded was still my favorite and slapped myself for thinking such things (This is all true...except for the violence...and the sex part--I mean the part I use the bathroom...dammit...) [!--emo&:unsure:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'unsure.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

It's a shame no-one mentions Falling Into Infinity. There are some real gems on that record. "Burning My Soul", "Hollow Years" and "Take Away My Pain" are some of my favourite DT songs.

I recieved "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" for Christmas. It is quite impressive the way they have combined all those instruments together with guitars and drums, especially on the second disc.

Of course DT meant to blend in album to album, if you pay attention to lyrics and instrunments it's all one big story. SDOIT last song fades into the first of TOT as the last of it fades into the first of O. Not to mention in Metropolis PT 1 he mentions "Somewhere like a scene from a memory, there's a picture of a thousand words, and when it stares a face stands before me" meaning the cover of SFAM on Octavarium the title track refers to a line "Sailing on the seven seize the day dreamer, diems ready" referring back to A Change of Seasons, and not to mention he does also say Home, which would refer back to SFAM again. Then another trilogy of The Glass Prison Saga stretches from SDOIT to TOT to O as well. These are just a few of the many many many tricks and catches DT uses album to album. Of course I don't think they meant to do it in the beggining, but I think around SFAM the got the idea to make it the norm.

Whenever i listen to Root of all Evil i find myself waiting for 'I can feel my body breaking, I'm ready...'. Nice idea. Too bad Gigantour never came to Australia. DT must have something against us. [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

My favorite is 'Home' from 'Scenes from a Memory'. It really is a true epic. The intro sounds fabulous in that Eastern style and LaBrie singing relly suits the song. The solo sounds brilliant aswell.

I don't think there is any other way to listen to SFAM than litening to the whole thing at once. You really can't compare one particular song in SFAM to any other Dream Theater songs. I feel that to rate SFAM by songs isn't the way to do it. You kind of forget the point of the album when that happens.

I got their Budokan live album for Xmas, and it's very good. However, I had asked for the DVD, and my grandmother (who gave me the album) misunderstood my request. Now I've gotta buy the DVD myself.

[!--QuoteBegin-Maiden Madness+Jan 19 2006, 04:21 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maiden Madness @ Jan 19 2006, 04:21 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I've already said that my favorite Dream Theater song is Surrounded.  What is your guy's fav?
[snapback]127341[/snapback]​
[/quote]

[a href=\'http://www.top10songs.net/topsongs.php?artistid=14\' target=\'_blank\']Top Dream Theater Songs, from top10songs.net[/a]

About albums they covered, you'll have to add Made In Japan (deep purple). They recently did it in Japan [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

The Dark Side Of The Moon (Pink Floyd) gig may be released in early april as CD and DVD on www.ytsejamrecords.com

I'm a huge fan of DT and IM, you'll see CDs I own from the 2 bands by clicking on the 2 links

My fav song by DT is definately A Change of Seasons...
Listening to it is like 20 mins of pure musical ecstasy.

Other songs that I love are -
The Silent man
Space-Dye Vest
Vacant
Lifting Shadows Off A Dream
Take The Time
Ytse Jam

And well "Pull Me Under", ofcourse . . .

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I thought it was more appropriate to stick with this rather than create a new one on the same topic: 

I saw on Amazon.com that Dream Theater is coming out with a best-of compilation next month, entitled, "Greatest Hit (and 21 Other Pretty Cool Songs)," presumably referring to the fact that Pull Me Under is the only song that could conceivably be called a "hit."  I am relatively unfamiliar with Dream Theater and am wondering whether this compilation is worth purchasing.  Here is the tracklist.  Those who know the band well, take your shots. 

Disc 1: (The Dark Side)

1. “Pull Me Under” (2007 Remix)
  2. “Take The Time” (2007 Remix)
  3. “Lie” (Single Edit)
  4. “Peruvian Skies”
  5. “Home” (Single Edit)
  6. “Misunderstood” (Single Edit)
  7. “The Test That Stumped Them All”
  8. “As I Am”
  9. “Endless Sacrifice”
  10. “The Root Of All Evil”
  11. “Sacrificed Sons”

Disc 2: (The Light Side)

1. “Another Day” (2007 Remix)
  2. “To Live Forever”
  3. “Lifting Shadows Off A Dream”
  4. “The Silent Man”
  5. “Hollow Years”
  6. “Through Her Eyes” (Alternate Album Mix)
  7. “The Spirit Carries On”
  8. “Solitary Shell” (Single Edit)
  9. “I Walk Beside You”
  10. “The Answer Lies Within”
  11. “Disappear”

You won't be disappointed in any of the songs on that set.  However, like LC said, no Metropolis pt 1.  It was mentioned earlier in this thread, but Scenes From a Memory is best listened to from start to finish--its a great story!  Most of their other stuff is all or nothing for me as well.

If you want suggestions, after that set, I'd get:

1.  Scenes From A Memory
2. Awake
3. Images and Words
4. Systematic Chaos
5. 6 Degrees
6. Octivarium
7. Train of Thought

Thats the ones I know best and the order I'd get em in.

wasted155 said:
You won't be disappointed in any of the songs on that set.  However, like LC said, no Metropolis pt 1.  It was mentioned earlier in this thread, but Scenes From a Memory is best listened to from start to finish--its a great story!  Most of their other stuff is all or nothing for me as well.

If you want suggestions, after that set, I'd get:

1.  Scenes From A Memory
2. Awake
3. Images and Words
4. Systematic Chaos
5. 6 Degrees
6. Octivarium
7. Train of Thought

Thats the ones I know best and the order I'd get em in.

I agree. The collection is not bad, but I cringe at the thought of "single edits" and alternate versions and remixes to lure in die-hard fans that want every SINGLE fucking recording ever made... whatever. In DT's case it's better to get the albums.

Back