Dream Theater

I gritted my teeth and bought a "medium" priced ticket for the Cardiff show, which actually arrived today. Surprisingly efficient for Ticketmaster.

I'm very curious to see what the setlist will be outside of the Images and Words songs. I&W is only 57 minutes, so that leaves plenty of time for a nice variety of other material.

I think A Change of Seasons is a definite. Probably 20 minutes each from FII and The Astonishing, then an hour dedicated to everything else. Here's my prediction:

Trial of Tears
The Dark Eternal Night
Surrender to Reason
6:00
Peruvian Skies
Lines In the Sand
The Gift of Music
Lord Nafaryus
Three Days
Moment of Betrayal
Astonishing

-----------------------

I&W

Encore: A Change of Seasons

I'd pick this:

Dystopian Overture
The Gift Of Music
A Life Left Behind
Moment Of Betrayal
-
I&W
-
Space-Dye Vest
Hollow Years
Home
Misunderstood
Stream Of Consciousness
The Root Of All Evil
The Dark Eternal Night
The Shattered Fortress
On The Backs Of Angels
The Bigger Picture
-
A Change Of Seasons

Since that's over 3h, would be best to scrap The Astonishing songs altogether :p

I can see that too but I think I&W will be the second set.

I agree it would be better to just scrap Astonishing material but there's no way they ignore the album entirely.

Just like with Metallica when they were anniversarily touring the Black Album, I predict many people coming only to see Pull Me Under and booing everything else. For the sake of all of you lot who'll go, I hope I'm wrong.

Still smells of a publicity stunt, tbh.

Yea what makes you think that? Dream Theater is one of the few working bands with an audience familiar with most of their music. I doubt anybody is going to see Pull Me Under.

Yes they'll play Wait For Sleep, it will be the whole I&W album.

Yea what makes you think that? Dream Theater is one of the few working bands with an audience familiar with most of their music. I doubt anybody is going to see Pull Me Under.

The fact that PMU is one of the few tracks that broke into mainstream (especially in America) and I've actually met people who considered it their only shot at glory makes me think that. Like I said, I really hope it won't be so, but I'm being sceptical for now.

There are definitely people who only know them for Pull Me Under, but I doubt they have interest in going to a DT show. Especially a three hour one.

Probably. I wouldn't go anyway, because if your prediction was true and the concert really consisted mostly of I&W, ACOS and selected cuts off The Astonishing, well... (suicide smiley)

You like FII though right? I wouldn't be surprised if a third of the setlist is dedicated to it (similar to what they did with Awake and Scenes on the 2014 tour). But yes this is definitely going to be a Play Classics show regardless. I agree it is a publicity move, but I think it's a good one. As long as this doesn't become a regular occassion, I'm ok with them trying to win people back after the mixed reception The Astonishing had.

I like New Millennium. It has a King Crimson (or Tool) vibe to it, but the vocal parts are meh. One of many examples of a DT song that would've been better as an instrumental and the vocals were clearly an afterthought. But the instrumental stuff is really good.

I think FII's biggest flaw is the length. 80 minutes is way too much. Portnoy saying that the album would've been better if they were allowed to make it 2 discs shows that the album was a misstep regardless of record company involvement.

Falling Into Infinity would be a great album with this tracklist:

Hell's Kitchen
Lines In the Sand
Peruvian Skies
Hollow Years
Raise the Knife
Take Away My Pain
Anna Lee
Trial of Tears

65 minutes, shaves about 15 minutes off. You could take Raise the Knife out too honestly, but I think a nice even distribution of epics on the album would help for a balanced set of songs.

The best thing FII has going for it is the sonics. They were experimenting with different sounds and production techniques. The sort of stuff that has made other bands like Opeth and Porcupine Tree so well respected in the genre. Or for a non prog example, Radiohead. If the band were more focused and there was less drama behind the scenes, that could've been a huge album for them. Not huge in the commercial sense, but in terms of maybe easing their reputation for placing technicality over musicality.

I don't know any Dt fans that listen to only Pull Me Under. The ones I know, know pretty much the whole catalog

And I'm sure that they will play Breaking All illusions, it's likely the opener imo. I think 3-4 songs from FII will be played.

I was asking, of course, because WFS is the only song on the album written only by Kevin.
Just saw this. It has become apparent that the aversion to Kevin songs was solely from MP. The band played Space Dye Vest for the first time ever in 2014. Also Kevin and JLB had a friendly exchange on twitter earlier this year.

Back