DREAM THEATER SURVIVOR 2016: Results -> A Change Of Seasons wins!

Satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
"Eve", "Innocence Faded", "Surrounded", "Another Day" and "Pull My Finger". I can't make myself eliminate any other for now.

Wait, what?
Yea, in the video he's playing a guitar and the confirm in one of the DVDs that he played it on the recording. You can hear two guitar parts during the choruses and in the middle section. Tried finding live videos to see if they ever did it live but they always used a different arrangement.

Breaking All Illusions, I presume?
That's the one! Don't get me wrong it isn't a total ripoff of Learning to Live, but they're clearly trying to capture the same vibe. Uplifting/ode to 70s prog/etc.

Isn't he panned in the center? Or are you talking about when everything cuts away but him? Because if he's usually panned to the left on the early albums, wouldn't that create an atypical balance in the sound?

Regarding LaBrie, I agree that he was at his best on Awake. Wasn't it on this album's tour that he damaged his vocal cords via vomiting? He's never been the same since apparently.
Anytime he plays a lead or solo he's panned to the left. Basically anytime he isn't playing double tracked guitars (and even then I suspect the left guitar is mixed slightly higher at times, but that could just be me). Either way, the soundstage is implying that he is on the left side. Kevin Moore, on the other hand, is typically panned to the right. They have to be panned somewhere for those parts or it will sound really muddy.
Petrucci has always used so many overdubs and is so loud on every DT album though that it almost doesn't matter.

And yea, this is the infamous tour with the food poisoning incident. Just listen to A Change of Seasons and the difference is like night and day. Definitely affected him more in the studio than live though IMO. I'd argue he was always inconsistent live.

Didn't know that Myung played a guitar on Silent Man, very cool info!

Petrucci has always used so many overdubs and is so loud on every DT album though that it almost doesn't matter.

Honestly, going back to these early albums: I wish Petrucci's guitars were louder! Especially on WDADU and I&W, those songs could be much more powerful with just a small spike in the rhythm guitar volume. Awake is better, though.

Interesting, I think they're loud enough and come close to drowning out the keyboards a little too much at times.

On my phone and too lazy to link, but you can hear the SDV demo with Moore entirely on vocals.

Edit: That's the first time I've heard that one. Pretty interesting to hear him sing.

Most (if not all) of his solo albums have him singing. I highly recommend the OSI stuff, a collaboration with Jim Mateos of Fates Warning and even has Mike Portnoy on drums for the first few albums. The Chroma Key stuff is good too if you like Space Dye Vest.

I've been really busy for the past week, so I only just now got around to listening to Awake.

I was never in love with this album, and to be honest, I'm still not. It was actually better than I remembered, but I still wouldn't put it anywhere close to my top 5 DT albums. While it doesn't have any songs that I would consider bad, my biggest issue with it is that I find it lacking really spectacular songs. I do love Space-Dye Vest, and The Mirror and Lie are also very good. Everything else I would put into the "good but not great" category.

Voting for:
Pull Me Under
6:00
Caught in a Web
Innocence Faded
Scarred

EDIT: What's with all the votes for Eve? This was actually my first time hearing this song, but it's pretty damn beautiful. 1000 times better than Erotomania.

Last edited:
Awake is solid. Listened to it a couple of times before voting and nothing's really bad but nothing is as good as the first 5 songs left in the poll. I certainly like it better than I did a couple of years ago though. Like, I heard all their albums but it's been so long it's like I didn't. At first I was about to vote for just 6:00, Erotomania and Eve, but then picked a couple more since a lot of songs need to be eliminated before the next album comes.

So: Under The Glass Moon (why the fuck are you all ganging up on Pull Me Under, Another Day and Surrounded when this one's still in the game?), 6:00, Erotomania, Silent Man, Mirror, Lie, Eve. Scarred has a great endind that's ruined by the fadeout. Fuck fadeouts. Decided to spare it this time though.

SURVIVOR_RULES_017.jpg

Eliminated:
Eve - 10 votes
Innocence Faded - 7 votes

Pull Me Under
Caught in a Web
Erotomania
Scarred

I considered also voting for Another Day and Lifting Shadows, but I just can't do it quite yet.

"Pull Me Under"
"Another Day"
"Surrounded"
"Under A Glass Moon"
"6:00"
"Erotomania"
"The Silent Man"
"The Mirror"

Pull Me Under
Another Day
Surrounded
Lie
Lifting Shadows Off a Dream
Space Dye Vest

Have I missed any Moore track? I think not.

Why all the Moore hate?

I strongly dislike his lyrics, his personality (as far as I'm able to tell), his playing (though sometimes it's really good, as on Erotomania or Learning to Live) and the influences I believe were his. Awake is the most Moore-heavy album and I don't like it as much as I could because of that. Sherinian has managed to grow on me, Moore has not.

It's very hard to pinpoint what exactly I don't like about him, but every time I hear Lie or Vest, I get angry and want to punch him really hard. I don't know why myself. Speaking of Vest, I really hate the track and it's probably the most "solo" thing the band has ever done - so I guess it shows him and his influences enough. I feel raped and unclean when I hear it. And not in a good way (is there even one?).

Had Sherinian played on Awake already, I would probably like the album much more, maybe it would be my favourite from the 90's. But then again, maybe not.

(But also to be honest, I was kind of kidding - I first picked the songs I wanted to eliminate and only then I realised I had picked every remaining Moore track)

And I think 4 votes for Erotomania is too damn many. Probably my #1 Awake track, in fact.

Back