Dream of Mirrors

How good is Dream of Mirrors on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Dream of Mirrors

Really a new song for Maiden.
The way these guitars are done (the couplets) is neat. A powerful chorus and lyric.

In that fast midpiece I like the part where Bruce sings

Lost in a dream of mirrors, lost in a paradox
Lost and time is spinning, lost a nightmare I retrace
Lost a hell that I revisit, lost another time and place
Lost a parallel existence, lost a nightmare I retrace

the best. Super!

4/10 and by far my least favorite reunion era song and one of my very least favorite Maiden songs in general.  The beginning comes out of nowhere sounding vaguely like something off one Killers but that tone sadly is not revisited.  This song has always felt like one big build up with a payoff that's not entirely worth it.  At least to me.  And again with the laborious repetition.

I'm well aware this is probably the one Maiden song where my opinion deviates the most from the norm.  I'm fine with that.  I've never liked it.  Saw them perform it in 2000 thinking it would grow on me live and it didn't.  <_<

The transition from the slow pace to fast just bugs me so much I have to score it down. Yes, it may sound petty but it spoils the song for me - not fully, but just enough to give it a mere 7.

Not one of the best off the album, but still a pretty good song. The slow intro is nice and atmospheric, but I think it drags on too long. The instrumental section isn't all that great either, but once the song kicks up from the slow intro it really does get good. But with a couple of flaws, I'm going to give it 8/10.

What a song! The acoustic sound and the fast bit along with the lyrics are awesome. This used to be my favorite song on Brave New World and it still ranks pretty high up there. 10/10

10. My fave on the album. Frantic, subtle, arousing, kinda paranoic, lyrically perfect, memorable melodies and Janick's tribute to Blackmore on the solo is terrific! It's simply perfect as this album is. :edmetal:

Albie said:
The transition from the slow pace to fast just bugs me so much I have to score it down. Yes, it may sound petty but it spoils the song for me - not fully, but just enough to give it a mere 7.
Wierd, cause that transition is one of my fave reunion Maiden moments :)

Janick certainly has written some excellent epics for Maiden, if he wasn't in the band we would al be much poorer for it.  This is another example of Janick's mastery of the proggy epic.  Nice bass drumming from Nicko during the high tempo mid-section.  Another high rating song from this album.

Great lyrics and a great performance from Bruce but one of the weakest tracks off the album in my opinion. Still is good, 7/10.

10 out of 10... Of all the songs on BNW, this one took the longest to grow on me. I wasn't immediately taken in by this tune, but now it's among the masterpieces. Lyrically, it's as strong as anything in the catalogue.

One of the songs that initially grabbed me and kept me coming back to the album, over time though it's dissipated somewhat, but still a solid song.

This is Dance Of Death (song) of this album. Both songs are long and epic, with acoustic passages, great melodies and start slow but speed up before the ending. I really like the opening heavy section. 10/10!

An immediate hit with me, the first track on the album to make a strong impression on me, I love this song 10/10.

I really dislike the intro, but the rest of the song is jjust teriffic.  Great breakdown sections, terrific vocals, and interesting lyrics.  If not for the intro, it would be a 10, but I give it a 9

The first time I listened to this song in full was when I was on my way to Disneyland with my family. We got up at 3 am and hit the road. I had just downloaded Brave New World so I decided to play it and when this song came on... I fell in love! The whole time I was in Disneyland, this song was stuck in my head. Definetly one of my favorites.

Back