Doom Metal

@MrKnickerbocker

Try this (all three, please :) ):
(from 2nd album, 1987)
(from debut album, 1986)
(from 2nd album, 1987)

Solid stuff, Foro! I appreciate that these songs at least have some momentum to them (my biggest issue with doom metal is the never-ending drudgery).

"Well of Souls" - Vocalist is good, but a little oppressive at times - like he's trying too hard. It's odd to say, but he sounds a little like if Blaze Bayley tried to sing Ozzy through King Diamond filter. That vibrato, though... Decent riffs, though nothing is memorable. Cool chanting at the end!

"Solitude" - ...I would love to hear Dio singing this. This guy has a good voice, but his tone and vibrato are a bit off-putting. I really like the musical dynamics here, but again I'm not in love with the song. Nice Maiden ending, though.

"At the Gallows End" - Best song here, imo. Good dynamics, buildup, riffing, etc. The guitars aren't doing anything special, but it works well. Still not digging the vocalist, though.

Decent riffs, though nothing is memorable.
:facepalm:
Man... the Well of Souls! The Well of Souls!
Awesome riffing: click

Some more from Dark Reflections:
This vocalist was a powerhouse.

I hope you are not a "bit" over critical on the vocals Knick. These singers are universally appreciated as some of the best in metal genre and sang on some of doom metal's most iconic albums.

Last edited:
Honestly, @Forostar that kind of riffing does not impress me. It's simple melodic patterns or power chord patterns that alternate keys, there's really nothing to it. Mind you - it's not bad, I enjoy it, but I'm not gonna walk away remembering it. The guitar players are definitely good and some of those leads are nice and catchy, but the riffs themselves don't do much for me.

I am more than a bit critical of the vocals, it's just my way. The vocals are the most important aspect of a band to my ears. And the guy singing (especially the one in that second video) is very good, I'm not saying the singing is bad it's just not my personal favorite. But hey, I'm the guy who doesn't like Rob Halford at all, so you probably shouldn't listen to me. :D

What do you think of this guy?

Candlemass' leader/main songwriter is also leader/main songwriter of this band. Mats Levén is the vocalist (he's also currently the Candlemass singer but didn't record anything with them yet). Fredrik from Opeth also plays guitar in this band. And I also think this album is better than any Candlemass album.

Honestly, @Forostar that kind of riffing does not impress me. It's simple melodic patterns or power chord patterns that alternate keys, there's really nothing to it. Mind you - it's not bad, I enjoy it, but I'm not gonna walk away remembering it. The guitar players are definitely good and some of those leads are nice and catchy, but the riffs themselves don't do much for me
That's doom metal for ya. No high tech or speedy stuff. What I like about that part is the arabic flavor of the riff and the vocals while the pulsating bass remains in the same tone, locked in with the drums. Simple but very powerful.

Last edited:
I am more than a bit critical of the vocals, it's just my way. The vocals are the most important aspect of a band to my ears. And the guy singing (especially the one in that second video) is very good, I'm not saying the singing is bad it's just not my personal favorite. But hey, I'm the guy who doesn't like Rob Halford at all, so you probably shouldn't listen to me. :D
I do listen, but I feel you miss out on (too) much (influential) music. Hope you don't mind if I'm a bit persistent here. ;)

That last bit of Sorcerer's Pledge! Click: :notworthy:

In 2005 they made another fine album with Messiah, simply called Candlemass. IMO their best post-1980s album.

Check e.g. these tracks:

Seven Silver Keys (those riffs and chorus!)

And Spellbreaker (that solo!)

A couple of years earlier they toured with this line-up. I saw them and they owned. I have very fond memories of that gig. Here at Bang Your Head, Balingen, 2002

Last edited:
Yes, but sometimes vocals can grow on you somewhat after more listenings.

True, but I've often found that something will grow on me subconsciously over time whereas repeatedly subjecting myself to it might make me dislike it more. Cases in point: my brother was always a big Dream Theater and Opeth fan and I could not get into their vocals (especially Opeth because of the growlies). Five years later they are two of my favorite bands. Kind of like how you can wake up one day and all of a sudden like sauerkraut, even though you've had sauerkraut on and off for the last five years but never enjoyed it.

What do you think of this guy?

Candlemass' leader/main songwriter is also leader/main songwriter of this band. Mats Levén is the vocalist (he's also currently the Candlemass singer but didn't record anything with them yet). Fredrik from Opeth also plays guitar in this band. And I also think this album is better than any Candlemass album.

I have heard this and have it on my iPod! Really good stuff. It has a lot more movement and is traditionally more heavy metal, but I far prefer it to the Candlemass songs linked here.

Back