Doom Metal

So this Draconian album, "Sovran", is the first album of theirs I've heard. It has a cool atmosphere & riffs reminiscent of Candlemass and Swallow The Sun. Production is perfect. Keyboards are very good, most of the time they sound like violins (no one credited for actual violins so I just asumme it's all keyboards). Songs kinda blend together though :/ It's doom so of course most of it is slow, but it still needs some faster parts or something to shake things up, and there aren't many moments like that on this album. Vocalists are both good but don't have much to work with... it's all too by-the-book. And it doesn't help that no songs are really catchy... Either way, this is an enjoyable listen but it's definitely not memorable. Will check earlier albums though.

3rd song from Swallow The Sun's triple album is out, this one's from the funeral doom CD:

:edmetal:

So I've been listening to this new Swallow The Sun album for only 2 days and I can already say it's the best non-Maiden album this year... and that's just based on the first two parts, haven't listened to the third yet... just amazing work.

This song is out of this world, one of their most melodic songs ever.

Top tier Doom Metal from the UK. They've been around since 2008 but I've never heard of them before. Their style is more of a nod to the classic and traditional doom metal which I personally favor :)

Alright, more traditional heavy/doom for Sixes:

and more Swallow The Sun for everyone, because it's fucking awesome :D

Doom metal history time.

For the ones who do not know them and/or who are interested in / into doom metal in general, and/or especially funeral doom, this band is a must.

Thergothon

Stream_from_the_Heavens.jpg

(from wiki)
Thergothon was an influential Finnish doom metal band. They were one of the pioneers of the funeral doom subgenre, starting with their demo Fhtagn nagh Yog-Sothoth (1991) and continuing their raw, depressing style with their only album, Stream from the Heavens (1994). Their sound was extremely slow and dirged along in long pieces, which combined heavy guitar riffs, extremely deep death grunts and sparse lead guitar melodies. The band disbanded two years before the release of their only album.

These grunts are insanely deep! Here is the album Stream from the Heavens:

And the 1991 demo, Fhtagn nagh Yog-Sothoth

Last edited:

Aleah Liane Stanbridge (the singer of this band and occassional guest for Swallow The Sun and Amorphis) died yesterday :confused: 39 years old. Cancer. They never got to finish this album :(

Agalloch seems to have split up:

Following 20 years, 5 full length albums, many tours around the world, and numerous other recordings, John Haughm and the rest of the band (Don Anderson, Jason Walton, and Aesop Dekker) have parted ways. What the future holds for the separate parties remains undetermined. We collectively thank all of our fans across the world. There are also way too many other people to thank who made this band possible. You know who you are.

Hmm. I found out too late about this band. A well, there's still a discography to go through. Hard to imagine that individual members won't continue. They looked pretty dedicated.

And the follow up:
After being inundated by a barrage of responses, I feel that I should clarify some things. I take full responsibility for the decision to part ways with the other guys. It was difficult, well thought-out, and something that had been culminating over the past couple of years. I simply could not continue any further with the band as it was. I had to make a change as my motivation and inspiration had started to completely deteriorate. Whether this is the permanent end of Agalloch altogether or a possible fresh start, I don't know. I probably won't know for awhile. The band has simply been reduced back to its founding, visionary member for the first time in 20 years. Beyond that, the future is unknown.
- J. Haughm

I wonder what went on. Seems like a difficult decision indeed. At least it sounds like more music in the future, maybe under the same name.

Of course I can be ignorant because I've only heard one and a half album or so, but wouldn't these guys fit more in the black metal category (if it has to be only one)?

I've only heard a couple of songs here and there that were really mellow, and Metal Archives has them as "Atmospheric Folk/Doom Metal, Post-Rock/Metal", so...

Never heard a doom song. And if I did, then an acceleration was not far behind. Well, it's last here as well.

Agalloch performed a progressive and avant-garde style of folk metal that encompassed an eclectic range of tendencies including neofolk, post-rock, black metal and doom metal.
:innocent:

Aleah Liane Stanbridge (the singer of this band and occassional guest for Swallow The Sun and Amorphis) died yesterday :confused: 39 years old. Cancer. They never got to finish this album :(
Apparently they finished the album right before she got sick and held off from releasing it until she got better... :(

Here's the first single and some album info:

HOUR OF THE NIGHTINGALE
1. My Requiem
2. Eye of Night
3. Condemned to Silence (feat. Mick Moss of Antimatter)
4. A Million Tears
5. Hour of the Nightingale
6. The Passage
7. Broken Mirror
8. Black Ocean
9. Sinking Ships
10. Gallows Bird (feat. Nick Holmes of Paradise Lost)

Total playing time: 1 hour 3 minutes.

Aleah Starbridge: vocals
Juha Raivio : guitar
Kai Hahto: drums
Mattias Norrman: bass
Fredrik Norrman: guitar

Last edited:
Back