Disc 1 vs Disc 2 (yeah, Travis is going to kill me)

Disc 1 vs Disc 2

• Disc 1

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Disc 2

Votes: 14 22.6%

• Total voters
I tends towards Travis' position on the matter, that we shouldn't treat the album's halves like separate entities. That said, I am interested to see disk 1 seems to be winning the vote, given that The Red and the Black and When The River Runs Deep are among the more criticized tracks on the album.
I really don't understand this line of thinking. I don't think anybody is treating them like separate entities. I imagine most people here are listening to it as one album on their digital devices and stuff, I know I only separate the two when I have to change the discs in the car but is that any different from flipping a record over? I'll compare album sides too when listening to vinyl.

Even if it's meant to be a single album, it's still a double album. It's being advertised as such and it was obviously tracked with double album in mind. It's inevitable that the discs get compared right?

I like comparing the discs. So there.

Disc 1, easy.

I don't think Empire holds up well to multiple listens, frankly, except for a few of the instrumental parts.
:ninja:

Only two songs on disc 2 that really keep me coming back: Clown and Shadows. And River is emerging as my favorite song.

I listen to the album as a whole and enjoy every song. Last night The Man Of Sorrows blew my mind open with its progressive structure. But every chorus and many riffs, solos and melodies on the album have infiltrated my mind at some point since first hearing the album.

I do not have a favourite disc based upon quality so will use quantity as the decision-making method. Side 1 wins 6 songs to 5.

is that any different from flipping a record over? I'll compare album sides too when listening to vinyl.

Exactly! I don't understand why comparing discs is a problem for some people. We compare Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son (for example) all the time, so why shouldn't we compare two other seperate physical entities?

Originally, disc 1 was my clear favorite. Then for a while I starting preferring the 2nd disc. Now I'm leaning towards disc 1 again. Long story short, I still can't decide!

I listen to the album as a whole and enjoy every song. Last night The Man Of Sorrows blew my mind open with its progressive structure. But every chorus and many riffs, solos and melodies on the album have infiltrated my mind at some point since first hearing the album.

I do not have a favourite disc based upon quality so will use quantity as the decision-making method. Side 1 wins 6 songs to 5.
It almost sounds as if you do not wish to be critical (yet). The same goes for Travis. Only by being critical, and by finding out what you like less, you can make a choice, I think. If everything is fantastic, no wonder that a choice is hard.

Well, I clearly enjoy some songs more than others, and this was probably the easiest choice ever made on this forum: disc 2.

Last edited:
It almost sounds as if you do not wish to be critical (yet). The same goes for Travis.

Well it's an honour to be bucketed with Travis...one of the immortals of forum.maidenfans!!!

My existing criticisms....

Side 1
1) If Eternity Should Fail has no guitar solo
2) The Great Unknown could have used a final chorus
2) TRATB is too joyful sounding for its subject matter (I no longer feel this way because Fortuna the God of fortune rejoices in the roll of the dice of humanity)
3) Two of Dave's solos are too low in the mix

Side 2 is flawless for now

Despite my criticisms of side 1 it does not mean I like it less...criticism often means you truly care about something.

So I stand by my 6 beats 5 philosophy until my opinions change.

Well it's an honour to be bucketed with Travis...one of the immortals of forum.maidenfans!!!

My existing criticisms....

Side 1
1) If Eternity Should Fail has no guitar solo
2) The Great Unknown could have used a final chorus
2) TRATB is too joyful sounding for its subject matter (I no longer feel this way because Fortuna the God of fortune rejoices in the roll of the dice of humanity)
3) Two of Dave's solos are too low in the mix

Side 2 is flawless for now

Despite my criticisms of side 1 it does not mean I like it less...criticism often means you truly care about something.

So I stand by my 6 beats 5 philosophy until my opinions change.

Quantity > Quality?

Fear of the Dark is the best Maiden album, confirmed. :p

I like comparing the discs. So there.

Disc 1, easy.

I don't think Empire holds up well to multiple listens, frankly, except for a few of the instrumental parts.
:ninja:

Only two songs on disc 2 that really keep me coming back: Clown and Shadows. And River is emerging as my favorite song.

This. For me it's like 6 amazing songs against 2 amazing and 3 good. Also, as has been mentioned before, the first disc would work as a standalone album; disc 2 not so much.

Exactly! I don't understand why comparing discs is a problem for some people. We compare Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son (for example) all the time, so why shouldn't we compare two other seperate physical entities?
Maybe I'm weird because I'm young and buy everything as MP3s, but to me, it's just one album. So the Seventh Son/SIT analogy doesn't make any sense to me, since they're two separate albums, whereas the two sides of TBOS are not.

The only reason it's split into 2 discs is because of the length of EOTC and the fact that a single CD can only hold 80 minutes of music. If they could hold over 92, it would be just 1 disc. And I know most of you agree based on the poll results here: http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads...one-complete-album-not-2-separte-discs.32350/ But this is all just for fun and none of us should take it too seriously so IF the 2 discs were in fact 2 separate albums, I would have to go with disc 1.

Maybe I'm weird because I'm young and buy everything as MP3s, but to me, it's just one album. So the Seventh Son/SIT analogy doesn't make any sense to me, since they're two separate albums, whereas the two sides of TBOS are not.

But they're two seperate discs containing different songs. Makes sense to compare them to me, especially when the press release amd interviews made a big song and dance about it being a double album. I listen to it as mp3s most of the time too but it's still a 2 disc album. What if we use the word 'half' instead of disc? Are we allowed to compare halfs or is that also illogical and forbidden?

Disc one ends up in my CD player more often. This is an instinctive preference rather than the result of logical reasoning.

I don't listen to mp3s, so I do think about it as "one album in two parts".

Back