Dio Reverse Survivor Playoffs: picking a winner is Heaven and Hell

Pick your favourite Dio song

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I blame tactical voting. I've been doing my best to get Heaven, Children, Gates, Die Young, and Kill the King into the top ten and thus often skipping a vote for Stargazer. Seems many people have done the same considering there is no way ever that Falling Off the Edge of the World is a better track :innocent:

Objectively Stargazer is a better track.
But I'm voting subjectively, so :p

But seriously, I think we are seeing the difference in the Survivor format of voting for favourites instead of least favourites.

Stargazer is surely better than other Rainbow material.

Stargazer is simply by far the best song that Dio was apart of. Sure there are other great great songs (and the remaining 4 songs are quite worthy), but Stargazer trounces them all.

Edge wins the tiebreaker over Children and settles into third.

Will the champion be Heaven and Hell, or Gates of Babylon?
You have one vote to decide.

3. Falling of the Edge of the World
4. Children of the Sea
5. Stargazer
6. Neon Knights
7. Die Young
8. Holy Diver
9. Kill the King
10. Tarot Woman

And the new champion is crowned: Heaven and Hell.
Four new top 10 songs and some decent shuffling from last time.

The new format may have played a role. I liked it enough to try again.
Thanks to all who played.

See you in a little while for Maiden lyrics survivor

1. Heaven and Hell (2)
2. Gates of Babylon (6)
3. Falling of the Edge of the World (3)
4. Children of the Sea (5)
5. Stargazer (1)
6. Neon Knights (NR)
7. Die Young (NR)
8. Holy Diver (7)
9. Kill the King (NR)
10. Tarot Woman(NR)

2012 results
Dio Survivor:
1. Stargazer
2. Heaven and Hell
3. Falling off the Edge of the World
4. The Last in Line
5. Children of the Sea
6. Gates of Babylon
7. Holy Diver
8. All the Fools Sailed Away
9. The Mob Rules
10. We Rock

Thanks for hosting, @mckindog! I really loved this format and would love to see it continue in future survivors.

Interesting to see that only ONE solo Dio song made the top 10 this time versus four last time.

Thanks for hosting mckindog.
Me too! I've been voting for songs I prefer to Stargazer, but it's nice to know it's not as much Dio's "Hallowed" as I thought.
It is. This top 10 and the order was not representative.

1) Excellent: the non-chronological order of the songs. I hope this will be done more often in other games.

2) I am very concerned about the way songs were eliminated. The impact was to be seen the most when the songs entered into the top ten. This is not just about the number one song right? We'd love to see what is in the top 10, however low the ranking within the top 10 is. It's still a "place of honour", going down in history.

When we had 11 songs left, people had to choose their 6 favourites (a very arbitrary number: why not 7, 8, 9 or 10? 10 would have been best if we want to know which 10 songs were the most popular). The one with the least votes fell off. But that did not mean that people liked that song the least (that people had it as their number 11 song from the 11 that were left)! It just wasn't among their favourite 6.
No Egypt in the top 10, that's painful. One of my favourite songs of all time and I was convinced it was one of the most popular songs among Dio fans.
I didn't expect it to win the game, but surely, a top 10 position would be reasonable. Nope, 2 votes for Tarot Woman killed it off. I am sure that most of you do not think Egypt is the worst of these 11 songs. But these rules make a different game. They ask which 6 we like the best. If people have it at 7, 8, 9 or even 10, it won't have a vote. But it still is (edit: or can be!) among the 10 most favourite songs of these 11 (this current bunch). So something does not feel right here..
Summary:
This format (or choice within the format) does not give songs that might have a low top 10 popularity (rank 7, 8, 9 or 10) a good chance to reach the top 10.

3) Unfortunately, due to tactical voting -probably enforced by (choice within) the format- the order in the top 10 was not representative. E.g. Stargazer would have been higher if we'd vote for the least favourite song(s).

How to address 2 and/or 3? A possible solution: give people more votes. Voting for all but one songs would be the most representative way. Perhaps that method has a disadvantage but at least it sounds more honest.

4) It was a shame such a small number of people played. Dio is a very popular singer out here.

Last edited:
Back