Diesel 11's Maiden Rankings

Well not really. See, in my personal list, there are 66 better songs (though like I said, this one could be higher, and I'm sure with subsequent listens it will be). However, when I make lists, usually they aren't personal, more based on popularity, success, etc. Hence why this list was so goddamn hard to make. But considering Loudwire came out before TBOS, I can't fault them for including the song on their list - though are certainly a few other ones from the 21st Century that could have been on it instead had I made the list.

Not sure if what I'm saying makes any sense, but I've tried to explain it as best as I can.

So Loudwire's list you agree with in terms of popularity, but your list is purely personal?

If so, I get it :)

If not, I am still perplexed ;)

That's pretty much it, I wouldn't say I agree with Loudwire but I can see where they're coming from.

Hopefully I didn't just confuse you more. ;)

66. Prowler
Iron Maiden (1980)

The opening track of the band's debut, this one I was more 'eh' to the first time I heard it, but it grew on me a lot with subsequent listens. I consider it to be one of the highlights of the band's first two albums now. Really cool song.

If this is a highlight from the Di'Anno era and it is on number 66, then you are not a big fan of that era.

Well... to be fair, I love Di'Anno's singing style, and the band musically was great too. However, for the first two albums, half of them are songs which, while not bad, aren't really that memorable, like "Strange World" or "Remember Tomorrow", and the other half are songs which I love. "Prowler" is a song I love. But as it is, there are 65 better Maiden songs, IMO. There's still gonna be a fair bit of the Di'Anno era popping up however, but meanwhile...

65. 22 Acacia Avenue
The Number of the Beast (1982)

This is a song where I can go crazy over where to place it. I love the beginning, it's awesome. But then during the change-up, it seems to run a little bit long, to me. But not that it really matters. Because seriously, this is a good song. A really good song. The opening is awesome, the lyrics are pretty interesting, honestly, and yeah, it's a much better song than "Charlotte the Harlot". I could probably rank it higher, but then again, 64 better songs a-waiting...

How can Prowler be "one of the highlights" of the first two albums, yet a "fair bit" off the first two albums is still to come, ahead of Prowler? Maybe I read something wrong, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Prowler is one of three songs from the debut that are on this list, and counting the songs from Killers, one of eight songs from the Di'Anno era. Just because it's the lowest on this list doesn't mean it's not a highlight. Like I said, the rest of the two albums is something I'm kind of "meh" to. All of the songs on this list are highlights. Just because they're lower doesn't mean they aren't great songs that I enjoy listening to whenever they come on.

Anyways, now that we have that out of the way, here's a song which either you're gonna go, "Hey, nice to see it get some love!" or "The fuck are you on?!!"...

64. The Apparition
Fear of the Dark (1992)

When I first set down this list in stone, this song was not on it. However, after a few re-listens I realized how much I really enjoy this song. Maiden's worst? Hell no, far from it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it may be clunky, and far from perfect, but its strength lies in those weaknesses. The Apparition is not half bad. Now, tomato throwing is in order, I believe...

Anyways, now that we have that out of the way, here's a song which either you're gonna go, "Hey, nice to see it get some love!" or "The fuck are you on?!!"...

64. The Apparition
Fear of the Dark (1992)

When I first set down this list in stone, this song was not on it. However, after a few re-listens I realized how much I really enjoy this song. Maiden's worst? Hell no, far from it. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it may be clunky, and far from perfect, but its strength lies in those weaknesses. The Apparition is not half bad. Now, tomato throwing is in order, I believe...
To me, it belongs to the same lot as "Quest For Fire" and "The Duellists": the vocal parts don't match the music in terms of quality. It is even more obvious in the case of "The Apparition": I really enjoy the instrumental part (especially the guitar harmony).

64. The Apparition
Fear of the Dark (1992)

The Apparition rocks. There is no other Maiden song that sounds like it. The lyrics are some of the most meaningful that Maiden has written, in my opinion. Love this song.

Well see, I do like that, but for me the entire song is great. The pairing of the vocals and the music just sounds so weird that I love it. Quest for Fire and The Duellists haven't made this list BTW, QFF because I just don't care for it, and The Duellists because, whilst a good song, there are at least 75 better. :D (I know, I know, I spoiled more of the list, I'm sorry. :p )

While I'm here...

63. Children of the Damned

This song has been hailed as a Maiden classic. I can see that. It's a chilling song, and really helps cement the album as a classic. Not much I can say about it. It's a good song.

62. Invaders

Initially, this was the weakest song to me on TNOTB. A few listens later, it's now one of my favorites. (But it's only at #62... we've been over this. ;) ) I love the song, it's a nice little opener, the chorus is weird yet a lot of fun. Some say it's too dark for such cheerful music. I personally think the two opposites together work great. I love it.

And next up on the album rankings...

21633.jpg

#15: Dance of Death
DOD being so low may also sound crazy to some, but what can I say? The album is a major step above BNW, the title track and Paschendale are fucking amazing, and the rest of the songs are alright as well. But... well, as a whole it just doesn't do much for me. Sorry. Can't say much more than that. There are 14 better albums.

Last edited:
That's a great point you make about the the upbeat music and dark subject matter not necessarily being a bad thing. It is common in the Maiden catalog . I dig it too.
Btw, two songs here in the sixties that are among my top twenty Maiden songs; The Apparition and IFV (In-fu**en'-Vaders)!!! Great, accurate write ups as well. Invaders is in and out of my ten faves in fact. Sooooo underrated here. Keep up the great work kid. This list is full of surprises and interesting takes....

Aaaaaaand then the wheels fall off with the # 15 album choice...:facepalm::facepalm::eek::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: My 3rd favorite album and runaway best of the reunion era.... not cool man!:p

Now that the official rankings list has been completed (boy oh boy what a list!), it's time to return once again to my own, dear, controversial, and vastly inferior, Top 75. I've just gone through and switched a few songs around so - here we go again! And since it's been a while, you get five songs for the price of one.

61. Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
No Prayer For The Dying (1990)
Most people would say that this song is a subpar track. I disagree. Yes, the lyrics might not be up to the Maiden standard, but on the other hand, they're kinda light and fun - classic horror films come to mind, and the music itself feels like classic Maiden. It's a fun song to sing along to, or hum, whatever you prefer.

60. Justice of the Peace
Man on the Edge B-side (1995)
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Justice of the Peace is better than Man on the Edge, and in fact, most of the songs on The X Factor. After listening through all 70 some minutes of The X Factor, which ended up getting a bit overwhelmingly depressing (not that it's a bad thing, and this beast of an album is not a bad album, just when you're listening to it at 2 A.M. - pun intended :p - for the first time, it can get a bit too much) I switched on Justice of the Peace to see how well the B-sides were, and I was quite pleasantly surprised. Man on the Edge is quite possibly the cheeriest song on the album, and its first B-side is rather bright as well, considering the whole album. I quite like it. It's worthy enough to be a part of the album itself IMO, and of course, this list. As a side note, this is the first non-album track on my list, and there's a lot more coming. Be prepared.

59. El Dorado
The Final Frontier (2010)
This is one of the all-time greatest adventure songs. It starts kind of like how most songs would end, and then it throws you into a compelling track, where you can conjure of visions of lost explorers seeking to find the long lost city of gold. While the lyrics don't really say the same thing, the music does, and it's both a great song to use your imagination on and a great warning of the system, I guess you can call it. All in all, great song, especially the chorus which is really what threw it up at #59. Incidentally, this is the highest song off of TFF that you'll see on this countdown, which is a shame, but then Maiden has so many great songs that I guess one shouldn't be too surprised, especially considering some of the crazy shit from earlier in the countdown...

58. Don't Look To The Eyes of a Stranger
Virtual XI (1998)
It seems that the general consensus of this song is that it's "guilty of everything people say TAATG is guilty of". Perhaps it's true. Both songs are certainly repetitive. But, contrary to popular belief (!), both are actually good songs. This one wasn't even on the list when I first compiled it, but in between that time and now, something clicked with me, and I find it even more enjoyable that Gambler, and it seems 18 others on the list too. It's a darker song, with an orchestra that plays in the background (at least I think that's an orchestra!) and while repetitive, just like TAATG, it doesn't bother me. Great song. Others may disagree, but hey, it's my list, I make the rules here!

57. Sheriff of Huddersfield
Wasted Years B-side (1986)
Finishing up tonight's additions to the list is the second non-album track on this list so far. Wasted Years is an amazing song, and I can assure you, will place quite high as we go further through this list. But don't forget, it also has two B-sides. Reach Out is typically considered Maiden's best B-side period, and don't worry, you'll see it on this list too. But then there's also this gem. Sheriff of Huddersfield. Ohboyohboyohboy! It's a joke piece that's surprisingly strong, got silly lyrics and a hilarious impression of Rod, really, the only thing that drags this track down for me is the fart and burp sounds they put on it. Easily overlooked. What a fun song.

Fuck it, let's include the next album in the ranking too.

iron_maiden_-_a_matter_of_life_and_death.jpeg

#14: A Matter of Life and Death (2006)

Ranking these albums is so goddamn hard. As a whole, AMOLAD is a really strong album, but the fact is that the songs aren't real stand-outs. The Legacy and Benjamin Breeg are the only two that I even thought about including in the Top 75, and only the latter ended up in it. I often find that I enjoy an album more when there are some stand-outs, but with this, it's more of a great work of art that can't easily be separated, and that unfortunately drags this one down a bit. But remember, even the worst Iron Maiden album is still a damn good album. Hit me with tomatoes if you like, I probably deserve it again. :p

Last edited:
Three more songs tonight get added to the list. General consensus of the songs seem to be "The Weird", "The Good", and "The Awesome", respectively.

56. Childhood's End
Fear of the Dark (1992)
"The Weird" - just about sums this song up. It's a weird song. The guitar is weird. The vocals are weird. The drum is really weird. The entire song is flat-out weird - and yet, that weirdness makes it a surprisingly good track. Many people consider Childhood's End to be an underrated tune. It is. It's easy to see why it would slips through the radar for many people as a classic. Shall I say it again? It's a weird song. But so damn good too.

55. Can I Play With Madness?
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)
"The Good" - This song is usually considered to be subpar compared to the rest of the songs on SSOASS, with the exception of The Prophecy. I've tried, but I still don't see it. It's a short, fun song, detailing the father of the SSOASS (apparently) visiting a wise man as his decent into madness increases. It's a cool little song, maybe it's not as epic as the other tracks but it fits the album, it fits the story, you can hear it on the radio, yeah, it's a good song. Not half as bad as everyone says it is.

54. The Wicker Man
Brave New World (2000)
"The Awesome" - Let's just jump right in and address the simple fact that The Wicker Man is, quite simply and in every sense of the phrase, classic Maiden. It feels like a classic Maiden song. It sounds like a classic Maiden song. It is a classic Maiden song. Shit, it could probably make the Top 10 on a list of classic Maiden songs. It kicks Brave New World right off with a great vibe - "YO PEOPLE GUESS WHO'S BACK?" - and is simply, a fun song. Unfortunately, you've already seen my views on BNW as a whole, and this song is the only one off that album on this list. A shame, but what can I say.

Childhood's End is awesome! Way underappreciated.

22 and Children are pretty far back, man. Children is definitely Top 10 for me, and 22 is right behind it.

Back