Diesel 11's Maiden Rankings

70. Holy Smoke
No Prayer For The Dying (1990)

The first time I heard this song, I thought it was kind of different to their earlier work. After several more listens, I've come to see this song as classic Maiden. The opening riff, the great performances... hell, anyone who thinks the band wasn't trying to give their all on NPFTD need only to listen to this song (and watch the hilarious low-budget music video). Sure, it's got some cheap swears, but it also delivered us one of the band's best lyrics - "I've lived in filth and I've lived in sin, but I still smell sweeter than the shit you're in!" All in all, this is another song I'm surprised didn't end up higher on the list, because it's a pretty damn good song.

69. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
Powerslave (1984)

Lots of people say that this is Powerslave's only mishap, without this instrumental it would be a perfect album. I disagree. I think this song is a pretty good one, it feels like a Powerslave song, and I couldn't imagine it being on any other album.

And while we're at it, several past lists have also done albums worst to best, and this one is no different. Gonna start it off with, obviously, my least favorite of Maiden's 16 albums...

12988918_f1024.jpg

#16: Brave New World (2000)

Lots of people love this album; as @LooseCannon already stated earlier on in this thread, it's the highest ranking album in popularity on this site from the 21st Century. And I have to say, The Wicker Man is one of the greatest album openers of all time. I love how the album begins. It's what comes after it that... well... I'm rather "meh" to. Sure, it's the first album with Bruce and Adrian again since 1992 and 1988 respectively, but it really feels like they were just really trying to achieve something here that to me feels kinda forced. I will say this though - Blood Brothers is really growing on me, I've found myself humming it out of the blue on occasion, and the album as a whole, whilst Maiden's most mediocre in my opinion is still heads and tails better than a lot of other albums by more mediocre artists. But yes, this is my least favorite Maiden album. Let the tomato throwing begin!

69. Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)
Powerslave (1984)

Lots of people say that this is Powerslave's only mishap, without this instrumental it would be a perfect album. I disagree. I think this song is a pretty good one, it feels like a Powerslave song, and I couldn't imagine it being on any other album.

And while we're at it, several past lists have also done albums worst to best, and this one is no different. Gonna start it off with, obviously, my least favorite of Maiden's 16 albums...

I think that what has rendered "Losfer Words" unpopular (to many) is the fact of hearing it again and again on DVD menus ("Visions of the Beast" and "Live After Death"). I like it a lot myself (it is one of the tracks that give me the impression of being "inside the sleeve cover" ;) )

I think that what has rendered "Losfer Words" unpopular (to many) is the fact of hearing it again and again on DVD menus ("Visions of the Beast" and "Live After Death"). I like it a lot myself (it is one of the tracks that give me the impression of being "inside the sleeve cover" ;) )
That's actually pretty much what I feel as well. Each album has a distinctive style of songs, and Losfer Words just feels like a Powerslave track.

Losfer words is my favorite instrumental, I'm with you in that it is a natural accompaniment to the other powerslave songs.
In fact it is in my top ten, and I use it to bust out of a funk or bad mood often. It is a driving force on the album and is severely underrated . Really interesting list so far....

Remember that song "Kill Me"
Once used by a man from MaidenFans
He said Brave New World's the worst
Others gave him the look
Ain't no tomato big enough for me

Remember that song "Kill Me"
Once used by a man from MaidenFans
He said Brave New World's the worst
Others gave him the look
Ain't no tomato big enough for me

Does this mean you are including b-sides/covers?
Ce soir, ce soir
Assassination d'un provocateur

12988918_f1024.jpg

#16: Brave New World (2000)

Lots of people love this album; as @LooseCannon already stated earlier on in this thread, it's the highest ranking album in popularity on this site from the 21st Century. And I have to say, The Wicker Man is one of the greatest album openers of all time. I love how the album begins. It's what comes after it that... well... I'm rather "meh" to. Sure, it's the first album with Bruce and Adrian again since 1992 and 1988 respectively, but it really feels like they were just really trying to achieve something here that to me feels kinda forced. I will say this though - Blood Brothers is really growing on me, I've found myself humming it out of the blue on occasion, and the album as a whole, whilst Maiden's most mediocre in my opinion is still heads and tails better than a lot of other albums by more mediocre artists. But yes, this is my least favorite Maiden album. Let the tomato throwing begin!

The heresy is overwhelming

Don't think I forgot about this. I've taken a break for a bit because I need to re-listen to two songs, and I kept putting it off because I don't know why. I shouldn't have though, because they're great. The songs in question are...

68. Isle of Avalon
The Final Frontier (2010)

67. The Talisman

Both songs off of The Final Frontier, they're both great in their own right. Isle of Avalon has a great beginning, it feels a bit like the piece in Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, only at the beginning of the song. Whilst I personally feel that the quality goes down a bit once it really kicks in, that's just a tad - it's a great song the whole way through nonetheless.

The Talisman, on the other hand, start out nicely with acoustics, and even when the electric guitar kicks up, it's an excellent song. I honestly can't fault Loudwire for including it on their Top 10 for Maiden, and I feel that I could put it higher up on the list, but oh well.

All in all, great songs, very enjoyable, but The Talisman is just a bit better.

Don't think I forgot about this. I've taken a break for a bit because I need to re-listen to two songs, and I kept putting it off because I don't know why. I shouldn't have though, because they're great. The songs in question are...

68. Isle of Avalon

67. The Talisman

Both songs off of The Final Frontier, they're both great in their own right. Isle of Avalon has a great beginning, it feels a bit like the piece in Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, only at the beginning of the song. Whilst I personally feel that the quality goes down a bit once it really kicks in, that's just a tad - it's a great song the whole way through nonetheless.

The Talisman, on the other hand, start out nicely with acoustics, and even when the electric guitar kicks up, it's an excellent song. I honestly can't fault Loudwire for including it on their Top 10 for Maiden, and I feel that I could put it higher up on the list, but oh well.

All in all, great songs, very enjoyable, but The Talisman is just a bit better.

You can't fault Loudwire putting The Talisman in their top 10, but in yours it is no. 67?

Surely there is at least 50 songs you think Loudwire should have included before this one then? ;)

Well not really. See, in my personal list, there are 66 better songs (though like I said, this one could be higher, and I'm sure with subsequent listens it will be). However, when I make lists, usually they aren't personal, more based on popularity, success, etc. Hence why this list was so goddamn hard to make. But considering Loudwire came out before TBOS, I can't fault them for including the song on their list - though are certainly a few other ones from the 21st Century that could have been on it instead had I made the list.

Not sure if what I'm saying makes any sense, but I've tried to explain it as best as I can.

Back