Diesel 11's Maiden Rankings

Diesel 11

As you scream into the web of silence...
For the more accurate list, skip to it by clicking [URL="https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/diesel-11s-ultimate-75-favorite-maiden-songs.58551/page-6#post-703561"]here[/URL].

I've been browsing around this forum a lot, and one of my favorite things to read are the favorite songs lists of the members from a few years back. (Because I'm a sucker for lists.) So as I was reading, I thought to myself, "say, what are my favorite Maiden songs?" So I decided to make a list.

That was easier said and done.

I've checked, doublechecked, and triple checked my list, and I still don't know if I got it right or not yet, but hey, it's pretty close at least. I thought I'd post it here in case anyways interested (or, y'know, isn't). I must warn you - it's a pretty bullshit list. :p

Throughout, I'll also have little side things like favorite albums and whatnot, so stick around for that. Also, as the list progresses, I'll edit this post with the songs in a spoiler (in case you'd rather dig through the thread).

So without further ado, these are my 75 Favorite Iron Maiden Songs of All Time.

75. The Angel and the Gambler
Virtual XI (1998)

Now, for most people, this song would end up on their all-time worst lists, mainly because it's too poppy and that savior bit goes on and on and on and on. But to be honest, neither of those things bother me - yes, it's not a perfect song, yes Blaze does overkill that line, but I can look past it, and all I see is a pretty underrated tune.

It's not gonna win an award, but it is a favorite of mine from Virtual XI.

***EDIT***
This is the color code I'm using so I don't have to keep looking through the fucking thread to know how to stylize the songs.

Iron Maiden
Killers
The Number of the Beast
Piece of Mind
Powerslave
Somewhere In Time
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
No Prayer For The Dying
Fear of the Dark
The X Factor
Virtual XI
Brave New World
Dance of Death
A Matter of Life and Death
The Final Frontier
The Book of Souls

Non-album tracks are color-coded with the color of the closest album they were released to, but are in italics.

Some of these are pretty damn similar. If I ever do this again, I'm gonna make sure to change up some of those colors a bit more.

Last edited:
Wow, shocker for the first song, but I approve, wholeheartedly. It ends up around the same on my list! I really enjoy the tune. I don't love it, but I love the groove.

No trouble at all with AATG higher than usual. It's kinda a cool Maiden song for those who don't necessarily like Maiden ( if that makes seance?) I've always thought.
Different. Too long. But really catchy and smoothly-groovy for most of it. Good start!

Wow, shocker for the first song, but I approve, wholeheartedly. It ends up around the same on my list! I really enjoy the tune. I don't love it, but I love the groove.
No trouble at all with AATG higher than usual. It's kinda a cool Maiden song for those who don't necessarily like Maiden ( if that makes seance?) I've always thought.
Different. Too long. But really catchy and smoothly-groovy for most of it. Good start!
Yeah, it's certainly a different song from most of their work. I do understand those who think I should be downsized, but personally I enjoy all ten minutes of it.

Also, glad to see some people are interested in the list! If you thought #75 was a shocker, I promise you, it's not! :D Just check out my #74...

74. The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
A Matter of Life and Death (2006)

This song is pretty interesting, given the publicity the band made before its release. Lyrically, it's a rather mysterious and philosophical tune, but also a lot of fun as well.

It was hard picking my favorite song of A Matter of Life and Death, because The Legacy is also a great track, but in the end I opted for this one. So sorry AMOLAD fans - I love the album, but this is as high as the individual songs will go.

So sorry AMOLAD fans - I love the album, but this is as high as the individual songs will go.
Harsh. I think the average opinion around here is that AMOLAD is one of the finest Iron Maiden albums ever. Let me check the stats.

Yep, AMOLAD clocks in at an 8.15 average album rating, behind BNW for best reunion album (though BNW has slipped over the years and AMOLAD is growing). That puts at it at a solid fifth, with only SSOASS (1st), SIT (2nd), and Powerslave (3rd) ahead of those two albums.

Yeah, I know that's an unpopular opinion, I thought people would start going, "The fuck is he on?!" and stuff. :p

Let me put it this way - AMOLAD, the album as a whole, is tops. I enjoy it. But when you separate the individual songs, personally, yes, there are 73 better ones. But hey, it's just an opinion, if you find that its songs are tops, I've got no problem. :)

There's plenty of more shockers in store, so be prepared...

73. Tears of a Clown
The Book of Souls (2015)

When I was putting my list together, I did not expect this song to be so low. This was one of the first songs on TBOS that I really got, it was different from a lot of their work, but it was a great song. And when I discovered that it was written about Robin Williams, that just made it so much better.

Like I said, I'm surprised it didn't end up higher, but don't take it's lowness to mean I don't like it as much - it's a great song and a great tribute to one of the greatest men who ever made the world laugh.

Don't wanna spoil to much of the list, but I'll say this - there's only little spot in Weekend Warrior that I like. Otherwise, it's the worst song on Fear of the Dark.

72. Speed of Light
The Book of Souls (2015)

Another track off of TBOS, the first time I heard it was on the radio, and I must not have been paying close attention to it because I thought it was a shitty 12-minute epic that was just boring as fuck. Well, next time I heard it, I realized it was only five minutes long and actually a really good song! Just goes to show that first impressions aren't everything. It's a nice, fun, faster track on the album that I really like. Another song I thought would be higher up, but oh well.

For legal reasons, I suggest when you get to a certain track, just replace it with one already on your list. We’ll know which one it was supposed to be.

Eh. It's anyway still a long way to that track (most people are probably going "Good, he didn't screw that up then!") so... maybe... I don't know... maybe... we'll see...

Eh. It's anyway still a long way to that track (most people are probably going "Good, he didn't screw that up then!") so... maybe... I don't know... maybe... we'll see...

Hey Diesel, stop letting people get you to give away upcoming choices! This list is refreshingly different already and the surprise factor doesn't need to be diminished ;)

Hey Diesel, stop letting people get you to give away upcoming choices! This list is refreshingly different already and the surprise factor doesn't need to be diminished ;)
These are just the little things. There's a ton more surprises no one's even likely to see coming if they saw lists like this everyday, so don't worry! :p

71. Transylvania
Iron Maiden (1980)

Most people would say that this song is the band's best instrumental - I agree that it's a good song, but it's the lowest one on this list. Yup, the other three are higher up. But like I said, it is a really good song, and I do love the opening, and, well... everything else too. I can see why it's such a popular one with fans.

Back