Devin Townsend

I'm gonna prepare a discussion thread on Devin Townsend. I think it's a better option than a Survivor since we can make longer breaks and most of us are n00bs when it comes to half of his material anyway. Then later it would be easier to do a proper Survivor. Albums to discuss: all Strapping Young Lad, Devin Townsend, The Devin Townsend Band, Devin Townsend Project and Casualties Of Cool albums. Don't think anything else of his is worth discussing. He didn't write anything for Steve Vai and everything else is either not serious stuff or just EP's or demos.

Who's in? :p

source.gif

New song from Devy... Genre: NewAgeMeme... Probably made between writing sessions for the 4 projects he's currently working on.

I've been a big fan of Devin for years, but his last three DTP records and Z2 haven't been at the same level as everything else. I think he needs to mix things up again to bring the spark back. If anything, I prefer his 'chill out' work now more than his recent pop/metal stuff. The last heavy album he made that I thought was really strong was Deconstruction.

I also think his constant attempts at rebranding are a little silly. Punky Bruster, DTB, DTP, Casualties of Cool, DT presents etc....it's all just Devin Townsend in my playlist....and he often ends up cycling through the same guys under different project names anyway (hell, Dave Young was playing keys in SYL).

I'm gonna prepare a discussion thread on Devin Townsend. I think it's a better option than a Survivor since we can make longer breaks and most of us are n00bs when it comes to half of his material anyway. Then later it would be easier to do a proper Survivor. Albums to discuss: all Strapping Young Lad, Devin Townsend, The Devin Townsend Band, Devin Townsend Project and Casualties Of Cool albums. Don't think anything else of his is worth discussing. He didn't write anything for Steve Vai and everything else is either not serious stuff or just EP's or demos.

Who's in? :p

So? I'm definitely in a Devin mood lately and I'm reeeeally interested in what you, @Mosh , @soundwave and anyone else has to say about any given album, so if you felt like it ... :D

Yeah, I'm getting back to that slowly. I posted that last summer break, started preparing, then had to study and forgot about it for 6 months :p

That’s so funny. I recently started going through his discog again (including SYL.

Is it time for that elusive discog discussion? :D

Also, when we get to it, I'd still like to mention Devlab and Hummer. They showed me an altogether different Devin and they really aren't any less serious than any given SYL record. On the other hand, I still haven't heard Punky Bruster yet, nor did I really intended to, but I will if we all will. The concept and the snippets that I've heard have turned me off completely so far, but I'm willing to be as openminded as possible.

BTW, my first album was Ziltoid. Not sure whether I'd recommend anyone interested in Devy to start with it (might be a tad too noisy indeed), but I did and here I am. :D Anyway, I like the Hyperspace there more than the Addicted version.

Alright, I'll get to work.

One more thing if you guys are up for it. Doing a proper Survivor would be tiring due to gazillion albums of varying quality, but... What about having a vote from each album on favorite songs, and later on we can just do a game with favorites instead of full albums? I was planning on doing the discussion in Forum Games anyway due to mod rights.

That would work for me. I think SMX was trying to do something similar for Frank Zappa but he picked the songs himself.

Speaking of Devin, I’m so tempted to purchase that new vinyl box set. It includes all the DTP albums. Ki especially interests me. The original master is not good.

I expected only commented discography, but this is actually great. How about each of us picked one song that would go straight into the game and then voted for 2-3 more songs and we'd pick those with most votes? If it's silly, just forget it. I'm just glad I'll have someone to read regarding Devy who isn't Metal Archives or Prog Archives. :D

@The Flash , @Saapanael , R U gonna join us? (please do!) :D

Get ready for this, I almost have it ready :D

38 releases, including all studio & live releases by Devin Townsend Project, Devin Townsend, The Devin Townsend Band, Strapping Young Lad, Punky Bruster and Casualties of Cool. 39th on the way next month too :p I can also bet he'll release another one before we finish the game...

You forgot Ocean Machine. :ninja:

But man, 38 releases are overkill. I'm kinda curious whether I will be able to get through all the SYL albums already. I mean, I respect that project and somehow partly enjoy what he did there, but...

Back