Deep Purple

So this was a farewell tour and people left (pulled a Sixes) before the band played their last note? Surely that was not interesting enough to sit that out and win from these extreme conditions.

I only left a show before the end once. It was a HammerFall show and I bailed before they could torture me with Hearts On Fire again.

It was not a mass exodus for Purple .. maybe 1-ish % ... Alice Cooper has a young band, tons of energy, short and snappy songs with sing along choruses , and a Maiden-like stage show.

Purple, longer songs, not so much geared to sing along with .. maybe save Smoke on the Water and Space Trucking, older band, not so much of a stage show.

Just a really different band and some of the Cooper fans did not care for it.

I don't get it .. I like both

I think Deep Purple is one of the greatest rock bands ever and a couple of classic rock albums are in the same league with In Rock and Machine Head. DP has a huge impact in hard rock.
In Rock is the second best hard rock album ever made, after Led Zeppelin II.
In Rock, Machine Head and Made in Japan are their top-notch albums, while Burn, Fireball and Perfect Strangers are very good.

And I think Purple is a band who should have been much bigger in America. They have always been among most popular rock bands all over Europe, while in the USA not even close.

It is one of my favourite bands. But they have been always plagued by inconsistency. Their max consistency is 3 top-notch albums in a row.

It is one of my favourite bands. But they have been always plagued by inconsistency. Their max consistency is 3 top-notch albums in a row.
I am interested to hear which three ones in a row are the top-notch ones. I guess it varies from one person to another. ;)
(my top 3 but not in a row: In Rock - Machine Head - Burn... followed by Purpendicular.... my top 20 as soon as I have time ;) )

I like a lot of the later albums (as my reviews earlier in this thread will tell you) but if I have to pick the best three in a row it would still be In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head. I''ll throw their self titled from 1969 into that mix and say that their "max consistency" then is 4, because I love that self titled album just as much as the aforementioned three :)

I am interested to hear which three ones in a row are the top-notch ones. I guess it varies from one person to another. ;)
(my top 3 but not in a row: In Rock - Machine Head - Burn... followed by Purpendicular.... my top 20 as soon as I have time ;) )

In Rock - Fireball - Machine Head

Any other opinion will be an "unpopular opinion". Give me DP window of 3 albums that matches this quality. There is none.

Judas, just no. As much as I like some stuff off Come Taste The Band, this is putting TAATG on the level of Number of The Beast. Because on TAATG the lineup and chief influences for the music have changed so much it might as well be some other band.

Could you count Made In Japan as part of that quartet, making it a quintet? I mean, MIJ is completely and utterly awesome so...

No problem. For comparison then, Maiden had a run of 8 spectacular albums in the 1980s

Saw Purple in Glasgow last night and thought they were great. The musicianship was top notch, in particular I thought Ian Paice was fantastic. Vocally although never going to be capable of singing Child in Time again, I thought Gillan was in fine voice. Probably helped by the fact that the first half of the show was mainly material from the last couple of albums. Which pleased me, as a few years ago they were just slipping in the odd new song and playing the classics, so I very much enjoyed hearing more material from the current line-up.

Thought Europe were good as well, John Norum is a great guitar player. They also played a lot of new stuff, I need to get my hands on the most recent album as the stuff they did from it sounded really good.

Ian rules! Also on the double bass in Fireball!

Awesome Airey ending in Perfect Strangers.

Last edited:
Back