1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deep Purple

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Night Prowler, Mar 11, 2013.

1. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

Single is out. On a plane waiting for it to load.

Zare and Forostar like this.
  2. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Horrible drum sound.

jazz from hell likes this.
  3. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

Good song.

4. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

'Horrible' is a bit strong, but yea especially the snare sound irritates me. Also the keyboards should be reduced to organ imo, basically a MIJ-kind of sound would be more contemporary (and better), retro or whatever. Still: Song's not bad.

5. THESEVENTHMARINER

THESEVENTHMARINER Ancient Mariner

Not a huge listener of Deep Purple, but I really liked that one.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  6. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Finally an interesting song.

7. SixesAlltheway

SixesAlltheway Yacht Rock

I take it you didn't like any of the latest albums then @Forostar when you say finally? I agree that this new song does seem to explore some new territories but both Now What?! and Rapture of the Deep were strong albums IMO

8. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

Happy to share the track-list of the "Time For Bedlam" EP with all Deep Purple fans.
    The first single from "inFinite" will include:
    1) the album version of 'Time For Bedlam'
    2) 'Paradise Bar' a new song recorded during the studio sessions for the new album which will remain exclusive to the EP
    3) an instrumental version of "Uncommon Man", originally on the album "NOW What?!"
    4) from Ian Paice's private archive, the rehearsal of the new song "Hip Boots", recorded live from the rehearsal room short before Deep Purple entered the studio with Bob Ezrin to record the new album.

Black Bart likes this.
  9. terrell39

terrell39 Ancient Mariner

10. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

That sucks ... it really shows Maiden got pretty lucky having good management their entire career.

11. Zare

Yup. Do you guys know about Pink Floyd financial stories? They've been screwed multiple times throughout the 70s. Atom Heart Mother tour almost buried them, e.g. taking whole orchestra on tour costs. They remained barely alive with Meddle and when DSOTM+WYWH albums/tours stabilized the situation and started bringing profits in, a lot of it was drained on Animals tour. Apparently U.S. leg managers misreported attendances for 10-20% less, the band literally had to pay personal money to get to bottom of it - for private investigation including helicopters imaging the crowd at Oakland, etc. In these instances that I can think of from the top of my head, management was heavily involved.

12. Zare

Smallwood and Taylor were pretty new in the business when they started with Maiden. I think Maiden is the first major label band that Rod managed. Seems it was a synergy from the start, both the mgmt and the band were starting from a similar position and nobody looked down on eachother.

13. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Cockney Rebel weren't exactly unheard of, although Rod admitted that was a bad experience that briefly put him off music management.

14. Deus_Adrian

Deus_Adrian Prince of the Final Frontier

Floyd never took the orchestra on the road. They would hire orchestras along the way that's why sometimes they had singers and sometimes not they just hired whatever they could find. I'm sure that was still really expensive but they technically never took the orchestra on the road.

15. Zare

They did for French part of the tour.

16. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

They announced some summer 2017 US dates with Alice Cooper and The Edgar Winter Band .. should be cool. Going to see them in August

17. terrell39

Got my tix for DP/Alice Cooper/Edgar Winter for Houston! Will be my son's first outdoor rock show (Woodlands Pavilion)

18. Freeyyaa

Freeyyaa mordebo et stringebo

Good Night, maidenfans! Who can help me to find out the origin of the surname "Gillan"?

19. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

Good Night, Freeyyaa! According to this website, it's an Anglicised form of purebred Gaelic Ó Giolláin, from a diminutive of giolla ‘lad’.

20. terrell39

Just made "Wicked Ways" (from Slaves and Masters) the ringtone on my phone...