Deconstructing Eddie: My Iron Maiden Songs & Albums Countdown

Welcome back Vala. Best to you and the family.

Lord of Light and The Prophecy are probably in my bottom third, but not so low as to make these rankings unreasonable.
Ironically, my take on Lord of Light is almost inverse to yours. I'm with bornless on the atmosphere of the intro (perfected in Starblind), I think the initial heavy verse is fine but the chorus has never done anything for me at all.

I freakin' LOVE Thin Line.

(More than 94 other amazing Iron Maiden songs, give or take a dozen. I'm just saying.)

I see Vala's point that once you get into the Top 100 the songs are all pretty damn good.  Yet I like Thin Line better than anything on Brave New World except the opening two tracks.  And I LOVE that album. 

I think the next 60+ songs will be very ambiguous. This is where my rankings get shady.

Once we get to the top 30, the arguments for true greatness will break out.

Welcome back val.

With regards to the latest rankings-

I've always love The Prophecy.  It's hard to be underrated on an album as nearly perfect and well liked as Seventh Son, but to me this song never quite seems to get the accoladed I think it deserves.  Bruce's vocals soar with menace on this song, and the entire experience and set up is worth it for the chill outro.  Great song.

Thin Line is a cool track.  I've always felt it was stretched out a bit too much near the end.  Bruce's vocals and the solos are the highlights of this song for me.

Lord of Light is a personal favorite of mine off AMOLAD, but can see where you are coming from with regards to the predictability of its arrangement.  Bruce always sounded a bit off on this song to me as well, but nothing too major where I hear it as a distraction.

Deconstructing Eddie: My Iron Maiden Songs & Albums Countdown: #94-91

It's been a while, so I saw it fit to drop these four songs in one go. I don't think most of you refer to the YouTube links, but I'll fill them in when I get home :p

94. The Educated Fool (Virtual XI)
"Do you really want to be  just another statistic"

It’s one of those songs that stretches the "Hey let’s repeat this part over and over!" approach too far, but considering that it’s in an album with much worse cases of this, one doesn’t notice it too much. Actually, that’s the problem here: One doesn’t notice it too much. It feels like an outtake from The X Factor. It’s exactly the type of thing that simply gets lost when placed in a compilation with most of the band’s songs. Nothing about it stands out; but when focused on and picked apart, it’s really not bad at all. The only thing that makes it forgettable is that it sounds too much like a combination of a lot of familiar elements from much better Iron Maiden tracks. It features good dynamics, musical interplay, has decent lyrics and even has some flashes of brilliance from Blaze.

93. The Edge of Darkness (The X Factor)
"They brought it up just like room service"

Thing that I disliked the most is that the song was based on Apocalypse Now and it indeed screamed that "Hey, this song is based on Apocalypse Now!!!" It does an excellent job capturing the feelings that I felt it wanted to capture: darkness, emptiness, and even a bit of madness. But its influence simply felt forced and too in-your-face. The helicopter sounds at the beginning and end, plus directly using lines from the film (that weren’t exactly lyrically apt) made the track desperately lacking in subtlety. The meat of the song though (after you get through that slowly escalating "atmospheric" opening) is a juicy, delectable and enjoyable affair with exceptional riffing that does a lot to complement the song’s morose and gloomy vibe.

92. Tailgunner (No Prayer for the Dying)
"Nail that Fokker kill that son"

My impression is that a lot of people really dislike this song. Why that’s so is something I really can’t get. It does seem like the bastard younger brother of "Aces High" in that tackles the same theme in a more raw, less polished manner. Not to mention that "Aces High" was a tough act to follow and this one unfortunately features Bruce’s 90s vocal style. Having said that, this track still features a great deal of dual harmonies and classic-era melodies to complement the galloping bass riff and breakneck pace. Just change the vocal style and it could easily be mistaken for an 80s track. The chorus is pretty bad; but overall, this is a decent song and one that perfectly fills its role as sort of the "transition" into 90s-era Maiden.

91. No More Lies (Dance of Death)
"A hurried time, no disgrace"

I’m really curious what type of effects were used for that distorted rhythm guitar (the one on the left channel) that was used for this track because I’m not a big fan of the tone. It doesn’t grate too much on the chorus since it’s masked by the drum pattern that it mimics. On the verses though, it sounds really awful. I would have preferred a smoother, fatter type of distortion.

Besides that bit of nitpicking, I’m not a big fan of the use of synths, the soft intro and the instrumental. But having said that, "No More Lies" has little going against it even though it doesn’t have a lot of highlights. And I’m not even complaining about the chorus, which is usually the point of attack for most of this song’s critics. There may have been several repetitions too many towards the end, but I think the chorus is quite powerful and fits well within the scheme of the song. Especially considering the equally strong pre-chorus that does a great job of building up to it, the chorus sounds really good.

:yey: The countdown is back.
As noted above, we are at that middle part where it gets really hard to separate songs.
But I'm pretty sure you missed on all four of these.  :p
Each is among the top tracks on their respective albums for me.
One could argue they are the four weakest albums, but I don't think that's the issue.
Fool does stand out, because of its beautiful melodies, Darkness lyrics have never been an issue, Tailgunner is what you say it is (only ranked higher) and Lies is probably a top 30 track.

mckindog said:
...is probably a top 30 track.
I'm sure you enjoy NML as much as you say you do, which is much higher than where I placed it on my countdown... but TBH I think the some throw these kinds of statements around lightly as a sort of kneejerk reaction without realizing how many great Iron Maiden songs really are out there. If they stop to carefully consider it, I wouldn't be surprised if a song that they claim to be "a Top 30 track" actually lands around the Top 50 position or farther :)

Tailgunner and The Educated Fool are about right, No More Lies could be quite a bit higher, and The Edge of Darkness should be much higher.  One of the best 90s songs IMO, though I know it's not that widely appreciated. 

Greetings Val.  These 4 placements are fine for me.  I am not a huge fan of Tailgunner, or No More Lies.  And those other two are bottom feeders for me, and I actually think Edge of Darkness is bottom 5 on the list all together..  No more lies is powerful, and is by far the best of these 4, but still #91 seems fair.  Hearing it live helped this last year, but it is my least favorite chorus of the reunion era.  Your critique of Tail gunner is perfect.  Close to being great, hindered by the 90's style changes. 

Forostar said:
On this forum these last two are widely appreciated. Not by me that much though.

Tailgunner appreciated on this forum??? Maybe by Albie and myself, but not much otherwise, at least for Old Timers.  I believe that the song was in the bottom quarter for sure in that old ratings that LC linked somewhere around here.

valacirca said:
I'm sure you enjoy NML as much as you say you do, which is much higher than where I placed it on my countdown... but TBH I think the some throw these kinds of statements around lightly as a sort of kneejerk reaction without realizing how many great Iron Maiden songs really are out there. If they stop to carefully consider it, I wouldn't be surprised if a song that they claim to be "a Top 30 track" actually lands around the Top 50 position or farther :)

I hear you and generally agree. And I won't have my personal ranking done until LC finishes his daily thread.
But I know Lies was in my top 20 before TFF.
At least two TFF songs are better, and my opinions of some songs may have changed, but I can't see it losing that much ground.

Invader said:
The Edge of Darkness should be much higher.  One of the best 90s songs IMO, though I know it's not that widely appreciated.
Forostar said:
On this forum these last two are widely appreciated. Not by me that much though.
It's almost like we're on a different forum, guys :huh: I was pretty sure that TEoD is very well received while Tailgunner is the exact opposite here.

The Educated Fool's average rank is 33rd.
The Edge of Darkness's average rank is 18th.
Tailgunner's average rank is 130th.
No More Lies's average rank is 77th.

^ Thanks for that LC. This is based on what ranking? What/How many songs were included? I'd imagine the TFF songs weren't included yet.
Tailgunner: My impression is that it was low but not THAT low.

TEoD: My impression is that it was high but not THAT high.

Wow.

All those ranks are surprising. This is what I would have thought.

TEF - 100th
TEOD - 50th
Tailgunner - 100th
NML - 30th

Back