Death On The Road

A

Anonymous

I've heard surprisingly little about this live album. Every time the subject of Iron Maiden live albums comes up, it always seems to be Life After Death this and Rock In Rio that and A Real Live Dead One isn't that great and so on...

So how is Death On The Road, anyway? I'm mostly interested in the live version of Paaschendaele...

Well,  I've only got the the dvd,  and it's a really good show.  Far better than A Real Live/Dead One.  I can't say it's better than RIR,  because Bruce's voice isn't that good.  He sounds as if he's caught a cold or something.  Paschendale is great to view,  and although Bruce's voice isn't all that good,  you can still feel the passion of the song.  *goes and watches Paschendale again*  (what a song :blush:)

It's good.  As has been mentioned, Bruce's vocals aren't that great, but the playing is tighter than on RiR, in my opinion.  The DoD-era songs are presented brilliantly, especially Paschendale and the title track.  It's worth getting, if you have the option.  I would say it's better than Live After Death in terms of overall performance, but not in the setlist.  And it ties with Rock in Rio (Hey...Sign of the Cross, Dream of Mirrors and The Clansman!)...but Beast Over Hammersmith is still the best.

*silence in Hammersmith Odeon as the brand-new-and-unheard-of-by-this-audience Number of the Beast intro kicks in*
'...and let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast..'
*general quiet applause from the audience, who have seen the band taking up positions again*
'...for it is a human number...'
One lone voice screams out: 'Maiden!'

F'ing hilarious :D

SneakySneaky said:
Well,  I've only got the the dvd,  and it's a really good show.  Far better than A Real Live/Dead One.  I can't say it's better than RIR,  because Bruce's voice isn't that good.  (what a song :blush:)

I wouldn't say so, Death on the Road is a very good album, plus it represents a whole concert (something that I appreciate very much)....Real Live One, is a compilation of live recordings, so I can't compare them.....Comparing DotR with Rock in Rio, I chose unduptfully the first one.

Raven said:
It's good.  As has been mentioned, Bruce's vocals aren't that great, but the playing is tighter than on RiR, in my opinion.  The DoD-era songs are presented brilliantly, especially Paschendale and the title track...but Beast Over Hammersmith is still the best.

yes what an live-energy it has "beast...." is unbelieveble !!....but I thing my all time live fav is Live in Donington

Raven said:
*silence in Hammersmith Odeon as the brand-new-and-unheard-of-by-this-audience Number of the Beast intro kicks in*
'...and let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast..'
*general quiet applause from the audience, who have seen the band taking up positions again*
'...for it is a human number...'
One lone voice screams out: 'Maiden!'

I saw Maiden on this tour, and most of us were pretty much taking the whole "intro tapes" thing in. In some respects, it was new to us.

That's my excuse anyway. ;)

As for Death on the Road, I don't rate the overall package (CD and DVD) better that rock in Rio (probably the best live Maiden album), but it is still worth getting for the live performances of Dance of Death tracks. And for Bruce in his many costume changes (as any good luvvie would relish).

Death on the Road DVD released by the British heavy metal band Iron Maiden. It contains songs which were performed at Westfalenhalle, Dortmund, Germany. During the first week after the album's release, it entered the national charts in several countries. That is really good album if you see you will wonderstuck.

webadmin said:
Death on the Road DVD released by the British heavy metal band Iron Maiden. It contains songs which were performed at Westfalenhalle, Dortmund, Germany. During the first week after the album's release, it entered the national charts in several countries. That is really good album if you see you will wonderstuck.

... wtf?

I've just started to watch this and... wtf is up with Bruce's voice?? :eek: I'm still on "Wildest Dreams" but I was compelled to search this thread and say that the vocals are really really bad... I hope it gets better as the show goes on.

valacirca said:
I've just started to watch this and... wtf is up with Bruce's voice?? :eek: I'm still on "Wildest Dreams" but I was compelled to search this thread and say that the vocals are really really bad... I hope it gets better as the show goes on.

Probably late, but his voice improves considerable.  I think Lord of the Flies on that album is one of the best live songs they ever did, and Bruce's higher octave voice just is awesome.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
I believe he was sick on that show.
or tired. It was toward the end of the tour wasn't it?

Don Dokken said:
or tired. It was toward the end of the tour wasn't it?

Well, according to IMC, the tour began in May, and this show was on the 2nd part of the DOD tour (the refered World Tour). It's beyond the 6th month of touring, but Maiden still went more 2 and a half months of touring  (covering North America again, South America and Japan).

So, i would say the live show recorded in Westfallenhalle is about 3\4 of the two tours combined, both related to DOD.

The thing here is Bruce was ill two weeks before that show (3 gigs were actually re-scheduled), with a flu and laryngitis.  :(

He's recovering from it, that's why he's obviously not in full-shape. But he's not that bad either.

Back