Dealing with newbies

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Aug 17 2004, 02:46 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Aug 17 2004, 02:46 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]
I think we shouldn't tear bits off each other on such a topic. The "parasites" who post here just to pass time (noticed that it's the holiday season? Many kids are probably bored at home 'cause they are unable to have a normal life without forums like this one...), well these "parasites" will eventually leave.

[/quote]

I think that Maverick was onto something here. Maybe this is all getting a little out of hand.

I suggest that contacting a "questionable user" be left to the site administrator(s) - I know firsthand that it will be handled in a discrete manner. Moreover, what perpetuates questionable posts is the fact that they get replies.....
This site is great in that it does have many different open topics and differnent people..... it would change entirely if people were turned off to if they felt they were going to policed or something - just kindly direct them to the "user guide."

Mav - whatever state imbb is -its not the slack moderation.

You of anyone should know what happends if you dont think before you speak, and that was why you lost bb:ers in this place, and probably caused a lot of people never wanna come back to your bb.

Grow up -do something good with this place, and stop being no.2 board if the official is so utterly bad as many says it is

parasites you also mention in one post -as the ones that sees a good board to post on- but doesent know that much about the topic to be able to contribute in your way , and you have found a good new way to get rid of those too now.

do you guys really have so much problem with hackers and self appointed leadership- that you havent understood the simplest rules of all? its called speak & comprehend. for every newbie you get, you get a fair chance they stay - 10% of all "newbies" on boards usually stays- thats how you get members -if they arent let to calm down in the community, and become members of the group- they cant be long lasting members .

i dont expect you to listen at all - but maybe real world does.
You guys are good in writing, have a good site in general -but a very bad approach to what a board should and not go in public with.

This topic shouldnt even reached the open area- it makes people uncomfortable usually on places like this-all matters that has something to do with someones posts, or moderation in general, should be clear and just informed from above -swift and clear -no voting , polls or "free chat" about the rules.
If you do that, you will miss the peoples voices that doesent show , because the ones that always shows - will be the ones that will be seen.
The mass of the ones that doesent say anything are usually consisting of more people than the ones that do

i actually dont care -but as long as you are calling yourself "maiden fans" -and continue nazi style moderation - you give real maiden fans in life a bad reputation of not taking care of their friends in music -and as long as you continue to do that

you will always be no 2

*n00b is a bad word btw -nothing cool about being a racist- a racist of self appointed "know how" wich in reality doesent mean a shit

and this post will probably be deleted emediatelly since its critical to the policy -not the board in general

[!--QuoteBegin-Guest+Sep 5 2004, 01:08 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 5 2004, 01:08 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]-and continue nazi style moderation -
[snapback]85700[/snapback]​
[/quote]

How dare you compare people here to nazis, it's obvious you dont come here much. If you knew anything, you would know that what the people here are doing is nothing like what you describe, but of course I'm sure it's too much to ask that you know what you're talking about before you post.

Thank you, Need to sleep, for this lovely barely comprehensible anonymous post!

You never had much to say when you were on this board, expect spamming it with dancing bananas and dribble. Apparently, posting anonymously hasn't improved the quality of your posts.

I should however congratulated you for being the first one on this board to have allowed to reach the Godwin point. Let me explain:
  • The Godwin Law has been part of the Usenet folklore since 1990, when Mike Godwin declared: "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one". This, of course, is also valid for bulletin boards.

This so-called law considers that, when a discussion or argument lasts for a certain amount of time, the participants get heated up and insults start to fly. As Nazism is the worst ideology to have hit the planet, any comparison with it leads to the failure of the discussion. Most of the time, the debate will not lead anywhere after that and the "Godwin point" is said to have been reached.[/li]
So, Need to sleep, you have actually reached this infamous Godwin point by stating that the moderation of this board is "Nazi-style", which is in no way justified.

You are simply bitter that I didn't let you play your stupid games here and that I put a stop to the amount of nonsense you and your girlie friends were spamming the board with. Fair enough, but leave us alone.

I was disappointed in the official BB when I first discovered it, as I had to sift through a massive amount of stupidity before I could find something interesting to read. This is not the case here and I am happy about it. The majority of the people who post on the MaidenFans board have actually something to say and are able to express it appropriately, unlike on "the other side".

As for being "Number One", I really couldn't give a monkeys. Like I already said, I privilege quality over quantity. I'd rather have only 10 good posts a day on this board than the 1,000 posts-per-hour of the official board, most of them really not worth reading. Maybe there are also 10 quality posts there too, but they are diluted in inane dribble. This is not the case here and I hope it'll stay this way.

Thank you Need to sleep. You can now resume your normal activities and go back to the official bulletin board to drool over pictures of Dave Murray.

[!--emo&:lmao:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol.gif\' /][!--endemo--] @ Need To Sleep
[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

no mav -im not her [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--] , and i dont drool over such pics since i never post any of them. I imagine you believe that since you ip checked me... no- thats is not the case , see - several people can share the same ip.

I didnt say this community was wrong - theres nothing wrong with the fans in here.

*-Still life : Nazi moderation has nothing to do with the nazis itself - they know it. Its a general term for someone being intolerant and one that moderates casually without having a clear line that the community can follow from day to day, and doesent involve emotional and unrational behaviour.
I would never compare Mav -nor anyone in here with Nazis -if so understood -i apologize. To say to my defence is that its a common term used -like you use n00b:s - for some -both terms are equally hostile.

actually -it wasnt to argue fully i came around. It was to see if you still followed this behaviour, by pressing you to an answer you couldnt refuse -because i believe people can change. It was maybe a low watermark from my side- but i want you guys to be more friendly. It was a test -and only a test.

I however see -that emediately as someone post an in your opinion offencive line -you fire back... you have never heard of listen first ..can it be true?
THEN fire back!

You are the main reason i terminated my account -by bringing up new self appointed rules one night- where certain things had been allowed earlier -and then edited peoples posts by your own mind -and took credit for other peoples work so you could feel famous.

As an advice -again. Ok- let people discuss the rules- but be sure you inform all - and give them a fair chance to read them -before you start to ban around- if you come up with a new rule.

I cant send people to you, as long as you dont treat people nicely.

*btw -RW - planetblaze seems to be inoperative at the moment

Yeah, whatever [!--emo&:rolleyes:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/rolleyes.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'rolleyes.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]-before you start to ban around- [/quote]

As long as I know Mav -which is not very long, I admit- he's banned only one poster, that ancientmariner1309 guy, and he literally asked for it. I've been on boards which welcome any poster, as stupid as he is, with open arms and ban at least one person per day.

When I first saw this post, I concluded that the poster was an incoherent coward whose 'thoughts' (I term I use very loosely) were deserving of no dignified response. I resolved not to feed the troll. However, since the troll has now been fed by others, I may as well add my response.

First of all, there are four levels of credibility on this board: co-owners, admins/mods, members, and those who are too lazy to register. The last group generally has zero credibility (though there have been rare exceptions, but this isn't one of them). Guess which group the incoherent coward is in! You get three guesses and the first two don't count.

(From this point forward, the incoherent coward will be identified by the initials 'i.c.' .)

[!--QuoteBegin-incoherent coward+Sep 4 2004, 07:08 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(incoherent coward @ Sep 4 2004, 07:08 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]This topic shouldnt even reached the open area- it makes people uncomfortable usually on places like this-all matters that has something to do with someones posts, or moderation in general, should be clear and just informed from above -swift and clear -no voting , polls or "free chat" about the rules.
[/quote]

I started this thread, under the assumption that if it were truly inappropriate then RW or Mav would delete it. Obviously, the opinion of the i.c. differs from that of our beloved monkeys. This might mean something if he/she/it were a regular here, but I've already covered that issue above.

Why should discussion about 'the rules' be forbidden? What's wrong with informed discussion by those who will be subject to any 'rules'? The position the i.c. advocates is dictatorial; while the co-owners might have a legal right to act in this manner, I applaud the fact that they generally don't.

And while I agree that the majority of polls are silly, I happen to enjoy most of those silly polls. We've already confined the polls to their own forum; if one dislikes polls, stay away from that forum.

[!--QuoteBegin-incoherent coward+Sep 4 2004, 07:08 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(incoherent coward @ Sep 4 2004, 07:08 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]*n00b is a bad word btw -nothing cool about being a racist-
[/quote]

I have never heard of any racism associated with the word 'n00b'. The membership here has never tolerated racism; if 'n00b' were racist, objections would already have been raised by people whose opinions are respected.

[!--QuoteBegin-incoherent coward+Sep 4 2004, 07:08 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(incoherent coward @ Sep 4 2004, 07:08 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]and this post will probably be deleted emediatelly since its critical to the policy -not the board in general
[/quote]

Unlike the i.c., we do not fear opposing opinions. After all, it's quite easy to demonstrate the wrongness of misinformed posters (as I'm doing now). Deletion of contrarian posts would be another dictatorial trait which our beloved monkeys are generally loath to use. Yes, they have occasionally deleted some pointless and idiotic posts. But they have never deleted anything simply because it criticized them.

[!--QuoteBegin-incoherent coward+Sep 5 2004, 06:09 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(incoherent coward @ Sep 5 2004, 06:09 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Nazi moderation has nothing to do with the nazis itself - they know it.  Its a general term for someone being intolerant...
[snapback]85711[/snapback]​
[/quote]

'Nazi' is not a general term at all. It refers specifically to a political ideology whose defining feature is hatred, and to the wholly evil people who have espoused such an ideology. Misuse of the word 'Nazi' is a horrible thing. Just try and say that same thing around a WWII veteran who risked his life and watched his friends die fighting the Nazis ... I made that mistake once and will never do so again.

[!--QuoteBegin-incoherent coward+Sep 5 2004, 06:09 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(incoherent coward @ Sep 5 2004, 06:09 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]To say to my defence is that its a common term used -like you use n00b:s - for some -both terms are equally hostile.
[/quote]

As implied above, 'Nazi' is extraordinarily hostile. On the other hand, 'n00b' is at most a term brought on by annoyance, no worse than calling someone a dimwit. Sure, it's derogative, but it's light-years away from "equally hostile".

[!--QuoteBegin-incoherent coward+Sep 5 2004, 06:09 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(incoherent coward @ Sep 5 2004, 06:09 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I however see  -that emediately as someone post an in your opinion offencive line -you fire back... you have never heard of listen first ..can it be true?
THEN fire back!
[/quote]

We did listen. We read your entire post, i.c. Were we supposed to wait a few days to see if you had anything more to say? Or are we allowed to "fire back" after you have posted your drivel?

[!--QuoteBegin-incoherent coward+Sep 5 2004, 06:09 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(incoherent coward @ Sep 5 2004, 06:09 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]give them a fair chance to read [the rules] -before you start to ban around- if you come up with a new rule.
[/quote]

As will be addressed below, bans are rare on this board. The above accusation is therefore nonsensical and inapplicable. Then again, what better could we expect by this point? I haven't labeled this poster as an incoherent coward for nothing.

[!--QuoteBegin-incoherent coward+Sep 5 2004, 06:09 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(incoherent coward @ Sep 5 2004, 06:09 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I cant send people to you, as long as you dont treat people nicely.
[/quote]

Then don't. Somewhere around 2000 new members have signed up here in the last year alone. Evidently, we don't need your help, i.c.

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Sep 5 2004, 07:13 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Sep 5 2004, 07:13 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]As long as I know Mav -which is not very long, I admit- he's banned only one poster, that ancientmariner1309 guy, and he literally asked for it.
[snapback]85722[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I know of only one more, the legendary AnC^MaRiNeR. And even in that case, Mav went to the lengths of asking for input from other board members before banning that entertainingly deluded soul. As much as we may sometimes be hard on the n00bs (a point this thread was meant to address), going as far as banning them is rare in the extreme. For all our superficial intolerance of n00b-like posting, the monkeys and members here are actually deeply tolerant of other Maiden fans as long as the posts aren't actually piles of uncalled-for abuse.

[!--QuoteBegin-Guest+Sep 5 2004, 12:09 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 5 2004, 12:09 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--].*-Still life : Nazi moderation has nothing to do with the nazis itself - they know it.  Its a general term for someone being intolerant
[/quote]

Maybe, but then you were still calling people here intolerant, and that pisses me off.

People here aren't intollerant, they're elitists. Not in a bad way, like it could be used, in a good way, that they care about the quality of the posts made here. THat's why they bashed me before and I tottally understand why they did it.

We're neither intolerant nor elitists, we're just plain evil [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

SMX, you're the man!

As far back as I go, I can only remember that AnC^MaRiNeR guy as well. I haven't been vigilant in my reading of the forum the last few days, but that post literally pisses me off. You hit every single one of the reasons for it, mate...thanks.

[!--QuoteBegin-Guest+Sep 5 2004, 01:08 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Guest @ Sep 5 2004, 01:08 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]i actually dont care -but as long as you are calling yourself "maiden fans"  -and continue nazi style moderation - you give real maiden fans in life a bad reputation of not taking care of their friends in music -and as long as you continue to do that

you will always be no 2

[/quote]

That part is the most infuriating. Its completely untrue

Please, do not feed the troll! [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back