Dealing with newbies

What I did was post all my first posts in the madness forum, and then gradually started posting in the other forums... Helped me 'mature' my posts. Also, can I just point out that I am getting a little annoyed at the constant overuse of

[!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:nana:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lambada.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lambada.gif\' /][!--endemo--] I Love the dancing Nana!!!111

Dspite saying that I used to make those sort of posts so... give them a chance, 25 posts sounds good to me

[!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--] sorry! i was guest

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Aug 17 2004, 08:46 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Aug 17 2004, 08:46 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]And I don't check the number of posts either. Some people here have a low post count but high quality posts. An idiot with 10,000 stupid posts is to me still what LooseCannon calls a "n00b".
[/quote]

[!--emo&:angry:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/mad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'mad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I haven't been here much over the last few months due to computer problems, so I haven't seen the problem emerge much, although I began to notice it a bit just before I went although never really got round to mentioning it.

I like the idea of two or three people sending warnings and helping out new members begin on the board without getting bashed.

Hopefully it's a phase the BB is going through and it'll clear up soon.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Aug 17 2004, 02:00 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Aug 17 2004, 02:00 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Hey!  RW, would it be possible to have an automatic greeting PM sent?
[snapback]83488[/snapback]​
[/quote]

[!--QuoteBegin-Real World+Aug 18 2004, 05:08 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Real World @ Aug 18 2004, 05:08 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]lmao I'll look into it [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]83583[/snapback]​
[/quote]

RW, if the BB doesn't have such a feature included and you need help creating it, I can provide you with php code that will generate automatic emails to new members (not PMs). I'm building a website right now, and I've already built this feature for my site - no need for you to reinvent the wheel. Let me know... [!--emo&B)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'cool.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I don't know if I've been here long enough, but i would like to help people avoid doing my mistakes. If the others are too busy doing what they do, I would like to be in the "n00b squad"

Well, I´ve been absent for some days. In fact I didn´t post but I was with my eyes on this discussion. Seems that I came here a little bit late maybe. But I only wanted to say a few words about this subject

When I first came to the Maidenfans kingdom I was amazed. Everything I wanted in a Maiden board I had here. And still have ! There´s room for lots of fresh news and rumors (Thanks Shadow and The Saint, you realy rock !). Also I have room for Maiden related things, for solo projects, general discussions and a room for total madness (which I go when I got nothing better to do). Of course there´s too our beloved IMC, which is a very rich and reliable source of information (God, that damn thing is almost a Holy Maiden Bible !!!).

But we are forgeting the most important feature that Maiden Fans have. Look at the name of the site

MaidenFans

Well, for me the most important thing in here is the people who post !

I had wandered before on some BBs, including the official one, and I wasn´t satisfied (those who know the official BB might understand me).And then I came here, a place full of people who LOVE TO discuss Maiden in a very, very passionate and reasonable way. I had found my paradise !!!

With time my amazement just grew. The great posts of LC, the kindness and smartness of SMX, the news team, the administrators (including our beloved OLD GIT Maverick), the real madness in the proper forum, and all the people who made the time I had here a really great time (which I want to last for many other years).

But here is the center of this question.

Why are we feeling sad with the BB from some weaks till now ?

Well, we must keep in my that, as I said, WE LIKE TO BE THE WAY WE ARE. That means that we like our long discussions full of historical, political, or any other backgrounds.

We have almost the same way of thinking (in general). We love Maiden and we like discuss Maiden the way we do.

But, as you probably know, we are not the only Maiden Fans in the world. We have lots of people who loves Maiden. But, most of them don´t like to do what we like.

I don´t know why ! And I think we just can´t explain that ! Some people maybe just don´t care for things we care (lyrics, meanings and all that sh*t). Some people maybe just want to listen and enjoy Maiden without worring with nothing else. As you probably know I live in Brazil. I might had heard that the Brazillians are one of the most hardcore fans in the world. That´s true, but I can asure you that, NOT EVEN THE HALF of the audience you can see in the Rock in Rio DVD knows a single word of english, and worse, don´t give a f*ck to learn it and/or know what the songs are about.

Come on Mig ! Where are you wanting to go ?

To this : There will be always people who doesn´t understand our BB and who will come here and cause trouble. Be sure of that !

Are they guilty. No. When I came here I noticed the way people was posting and as it combined with what I wanted I went that way. Some people might not realise that or even think that they can do the opposite without problems. But I really don´t think they want to cause trouble.

So the n00b squad can be a good idea. If the people really wants to be part of our community then they will shape themselves according to the squad advices´. If not, they will just leave.

So…….. GO N00B SQUAD !

Well, I didn´t added lot to the discussion but as I said I wanted to say some words. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

P.S1.: I am very funny sometimes. There´s not even a year that I am part of the BB and here I am talking as if I was and old member… hehehehehehehehe [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

P.S2.: Sorry if I forget to mentioning someone.

P.S3.: How I pronouce n00b ???

If there something mad, in the maiden chat...
Who you gonna call? n00b squad!

If theres a million posts, and they don't look good
Who you gonna call? n00b squad!

*insert dodgy synth*

I am gonna fight n00b
I am gonna fight n00b
I am gonna fight n00b

Anyway, sounds like a good idea. I was thinking perhaps certain users need to be monitored more carefully than others, but I understand it is difficult to keep on top of every single little post.

Btw, whats with AncientMariner_1309?

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Aug 19 2004, 09:25 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Aug 19 2004, 09:25 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Noooo!  I wanna be on the squad, but I like lightish-red much better.
[snapback]83783[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Your name is already pink. Not lightish-red - PINK!

I too will accept Mav's nomination to be on the n00b squad. But in all seriousness, if RW or Mav is actually going to create a user group for this then we should have a different name. We all know "n00b" is usually an insulting term; getting a message from the "n00b squad", no matter how well-intentioned, could still send a bad signal. How about "Newbie herder"?

[!--QuoteBegin-Black Ace+Aug 20 2004, 06:31 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Black Ace @ Aug 20 2004, 06:31 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]herder ain't the best word, as a herd is ussualy composed of sheep, or catle. The newbies might be insulted by that to
[snapback]83916[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Who's insulted then when some plonk says, "the Lord is my shepherd"? [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

i am, i'm an atheist [!--emo&<_<--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dry.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

So we have it: xians are stupid sheep with tons of wool over their eyes! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

I am completely against this idea of a "n00b squad".
Firstly, this is a forum, therefore a place where a lot of people from different countries and different backgrounds are coming to discuss. So I see nothing wrong if there are sometimes some harsh words. Till then, even if there has been some tell off and some bashing lately, we have always succeed in discussing every subject in a rather moderate tone. The behaviour towards newcomers we're discussing in this thread is something of our own. You don't like it, you don't do it. It's our own intolerance we're discussing here, well, let's change [span style=\'color:purple\']our[/span] behaviour then.
Secondly, the "squad" is reminding me of hunting or police forces. There even have been propositions in this thread to qualify it under a different name. Still, it will be a kind of hunting, and the "squad" - whatever the name it will have - will still be a "squad". That means to me censorship and even more, disguised censorship. I won't have that here.
Thirdly, if there are problems in any of the different forums, you can either write your own thinking or report a post to a mod. The mods doesn't seem to have done their job according to this thread. Mea culpa, I'm one of them, and right, I should have stopped the bashing. I've just considered people of this forum to be sensible persons, able to answer to the others with [span style=\'color:purple\']courtesy, respect and tolerance[/span] (funny, heard that somewhere already, but where? I wonder...).
Anyway, it seems there is a need maybe for some more mods... Well, let's discuss that...

Whoa, whoa, Master Owl. Perhaps it should be the mods responsibilities to help new posters out, and in that case, maybe we would need more mods. BUT. What we're discussing is not censorship. Besides, this is a PRIVATE board, not a public one. There is no "free speech" here, unless that's what the owner wants. What we're discussing is polite discussion in private with new kids, asking them to avoid being annoying when they can help it, because it'll help them get a lot more respect on this board.

Its true that a n00b squad is sort of like policing. But Loosecannon is right that it is a private board, and that it is the owner's decision. Although I wouldn't think that that is what the owners really want. That is why the idea of just having an automatic e-mail/personal message sent sounds the best. As soon as someone joins, they get an e-mail greeting them, and just letting them know how things are genrally done around here.

Doing that alone will cut down on newbie spam, and it is alot better than having a group of people scanning the boards for misbehaving newcomers, and then lecturing them on how to behave. I know that no one would be offensive in any way, but I dont think anyone likes getting lectured. Im not saying dont tell people when they are doing wrong, it's just an actual "squad" seems a bit too much. I think it will put the idea into people's heads that you guys care more about policing them, than keeping everyone happy. They might think you derive pleasure from scolding them.

So it seems at the current moment, that simply sending a greeting that not only welcomes a person, but gives them helpful behavior tips is the best course of action to take. What Im saying is basically condense the "For Newbies" thread into one short message. This is just my opinion, do with it what you will.

Back