What's the better album?

• Dance of Death

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • A Matter of Life and Death

Votes: 46 70.8%

• Total voters

DoubleO711

Prowler
Well I'm going to see Maiden live for the first time tomorrow!  :rocker: And since I hear this tour is focusing more on their newer songs I've been listening to these two albums quite a bit for the past few days. And while they're both good I've come to the conclusion that Dance of Death is good and A Matter of Life and Death is a CLASSIC! I really think that album is right up there with Powerslave and Number of The Beast.

Anyway, what do you all think?

It's a tough call. DOD has a bunch of great songs, but a handful of relative stinkers. AMOLAD is much more consistent, with no weakness. But the only song on AMOLAD that I'd put on my A-list is Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - while DOD has the title track, Paschenfuckingdale!, Rainmaker and No More Lies. I'd even put Montsegur and New Frontier above most songs on AMOLAD.

So it shakes out like this for me:
1. Good stuff off DOD
2. All of AMOLAD
3. Sucky DOD songs like The Age Of Innocence

So I'll go with DOD, noting that you can go grab a beverage during Gates Of Tomorrow and turn it off after Paschendale.

AMoLaD. It's consistently good and you have songs like These Colours, Longest Day and Greater Good of God that push it to a high level. DoD has some great songs - DoD, Rainmaker, Paschendale, Journeyman but the rest is average or below.

Dance Of Death. An album with the dark atmosphere of The X Factor and the diversity of Fear Of The Dark. All songs has an unique identity, but I could have lived without Wildest Dreams and New Frontier; some real underrated gems like Gates Of Tomorrow, Face In The Sand and Age Of Innocence.

I expressed my opinions on AMOLAD and I'll just sum it up saying it's Maiden's weakest effort, but it's an experimental stage to what will become The Final Frontier. I'd say the 2 new songs from The Final Frontier are better than more than half of AMOLAD, in the least.

AMOLAD is more consistent, but nothing really stands out. DOD has some of my favorite songs, along with some crap songs. I vote DOD

AMOLAD. No weak tracks imo, except some of them are too repetative or just too long. For example, The Longest Day has a bone-chilling intro and one of the catchiest choruses ever, but the song just collapses after four minutes and becomes lame. But yeah, despite of some songs being a bit too long/repetative, I put AMOLAD ahead of DoD. DoD has some awesome songs like Paschendale, Journeyman and the title track, which are much better than any songs of AMOLAD imo, but as a whole, I go with AMOLAD.

AMoLaD is a bit tame compared to DOD, but the consistent lever is very high - no weaknesses. Rainmaker, Dance of Death and Paschendale just cant stand up to ten strong ones.

as a whole AMOLAD is by far the better album, paschendale and dance of death just can't save DoD,which has too many fillers.
But guys could you imagine this- The Final Frontier will be as consistent as AMOLAD and will contain as fabolous songs as Dance of Death and Paschendale from DoD. I think that the chances for this outcome are pretty good- the reviews praise highly the new album, Isle of Avalon is written by H and Steve who as we all know wrote Paschendale and we have another Gers,Harris epic, but anyways less than a month to new IRON MAIDEN album  :yey:  :shred:  :yey:

Ben Beast said:
as a whole AMOLAD is by far the better album, paschendale and dance of death just can't save DoD,which has too many fillers.

Agreed. Even if I wouldn't call Maiden songs fillers that easily, DOD is full of them.  :D

I vote AMOLAD. A rock solid album - and I disagree that it has only one truly great song (BTATS). I also find These Colours Don't Run, The Longest Day and The Legacy great.

Regarding Dance of Death, it could have been trimmed down to 8-9 songs. I'd throw out Wildest Dreams and either New Frontier or Age of Innocence (or both of them). Rainmaker would be a good opener, and I think Paschendale, Face In The Sand and Journeyman would make a great last three.

SinisterMinisterX said:
It's a tough call. DOD has a bunch of great songs, but a handful of relative stinkers. AMOLAD is much more consistent, with no weakness. But the only song on AMOLAD that I'd put on my A-list is Brighter Than A Thousand Suns - while DOD has the title track, Paschenfuckingdale!, Rainmaker and No More Lies. I'd even put Montsegur and New Frontier above most songs on AMOLAD.

So it shakes out like this for me:
1. Good stuff off DOD
2. All of AMOLAD
3. Sucky DOD songs like The Age Of Innocence

So I'll go with DOD, noting that you can go grab a beverage during Gates Of Tomorrow and turn it off after Paschendale.

Sort of how I came to my conclusion. Except I plumped for AMOLAD based on it's overall consistency.

Paschendale is better than anything on AMOLAD and Rainmaker is amazing, but beyond that I'd say AMOLAD is pretty much better overall.

The only thing about AMOLAD, was that Dance of Death was so much faster to enjoy (the intro to Rainmaker, I was good) it took me a few listens to really appreciate AMOLAD.

Oh and AMOLAD has much better production than DOD, but that's not even fair to compare.

Tough call but I had to go with DOD, yeah the artwork is a steaming pile of Eddie shot but there's some quality songs on this album, title track, No more lies, Rainmaker, Journeyman, on the other hand it does contain one of Maidens worst ever songs, Paschendale

Obviously I'm fucking kidding about Paschendale, best reunion song so far, absolutely mind-blowing!

On

i will put the songs against each other

best opener: dfferent world - amolad
second song: rainmaker - dod
third song: no more lies - dod
fourth song: monstegur - dod
fifth song: DAMN the best song on each of the albums but i will chose dance of death - dod
sixth song: out of the shadows - amolad
seventh song: reincarnation of benjamin breeg - amolad
eight song: paschendale - dod
ninth song: face in the sand - dod
tenth song: oooh hard one...i just cant choose
dod has eleven songs and amolad has 10 so one will have to be left out

I'm gonna go with AMOLAD.  I think DOD has terrible production (listen to Nicko's drums!!), and isn't a very consistent listen, while except for Different World I can listen to all of AMOLAD in a row without skipping. 

Back