Current rankings

The Angel and the Gambler deserves to be higher. It's a much better song than it gets credit for.

There's a huge amount of songs clustered in a 0.20 range (4.10-3.90) as well. I call it the "Automatic 8 Factor".

But this means that songs are being overrated if 3/4 of them get an A rating.  I know it is hard to vote towards a bell curve, but I wonder if some people are rating the songs vs other Maiden songs or just versus metal songs in general.

I'm not trying to set up any kind of bell curve. I'm voting simply based on how much I like the song.
The fact Maiden has so many good [7], excellent [8], great [9] and all-time classic songs is the reason I'm on this web site.
Prowler is definitely in the bottom half of my personal Maiden list, but it is a good song.
I'm not going to fail it because there are 100-or-so better ones.

FWIW, I vote relative to the rest of the band's songs.

This means that I might give a song a 2/10 relative to the Iron Maiden catalog... but in reality, it could be a 6/10 relative to all music I've heard in general.

I also vote in comparison to Maiden's songs only, but I love every song from TNOTB-SSOASS, and BNW-TFF so much that none of them will get less than an 8 from me and most will get 9's.

The calibre of Maiden stuff is so consistent it's difficult, unfair even, to spread the rankings out too much.
Rainmaker might be my 33rd favorite Maiden song and Dance of Death my 77th if you force me to rank all Maiden in order.
But in reality for me, they are both great songs, with little to choose between them.
Calling Rain an eight and Death a five because of a Bell curve wouldn't be an accurate picture of how I rate the songs.

I generally try to be relative to the band but I can't give genuinely good songs a low mark because of how consistent Maiden are. Instead I try to punish the crappy songs more :p

Interesting. Back in 2006, BQOBD was way above TAATG. Then in 2008, it was below it. I wonder how it'll turn out this time. Guess we'll have to wait 3 more years to find out. :lol:

I'm hoping that we'll have some new rankings come Marchish 2011.

I don't want people to vote based on a certain paradigm. Make up your own. Again, most people will vote for most Maiden songs as "Pretty good but not Hallowed" - that's an 8.

LooseCannon said:
The Angel and the Gambler deserves to be higher. It's a much better song than it gets credit for.
I totally agree. When it turns up in the poll, watch me give it a 9 (or perhaps 8 - but not lower).

Same here.

I'll itemize the list of the average rankings (excluding 06) soon.

LooseCannon said:
I am once again working on this project, and adding in unpublished numbers from 2006 and 2008. It will be tracked on a Google doc as below:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... zWWc&hl=en

I would first like to apologize for an egregious error I made in the 2004 calculations. I didn't include the song The Number of the Beast. This threw off everything from 05, and I will be including that in the calcs.

I'm working on the doc now and if you want to stop by and say hello, I'm there.
how is Bring your daughter ranked higher than IOA?

Back