Covers that are better than the originals... or just covers

Turisas' cover of Rasputin is a lot more fun than the Boney M original. But I can't be arsed to say it's better, because I don't know if it is a very good song to begin with.

However, if you want to hear a band taking a particularly mediocre and boring piece of 90's Eurodance (and, nostalgia aside, we all know that's saying a lot), and actually finding a great song inside it, take Ten Masked Men's cover of Eifel 65's I'm Blue... which is now actually an enjoyable and memorable metal song. Especially the guitars are amazing!

Night Prowler said:
Motörhead didn't cover The Trooper, it was recorded for an all-star tribute album that featured different lineup on each track. The Trooper had this lineup:

Vocals - Lemmy Kilmister (MOTÖRHEAD)
Guitar - Phil Campbell (MOTÖRHEAD)
Guitar - Rocky George (FISHBONE, SUICIDAL TENDENCIES)
Bass - Chuck Wright (ALICE COOPER, QUIET RIOT)
Drums - Chris Slade (AC/DC)

Lemmy is Motorhead... the song, the band, the lifesytle, all else is incidental.
Here's another wee selection for ya...

The Ramones - 7 and 7 Is. Completely revamps Love's inspired version, completely blows away Rush... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEtFNXIyCgw

Motorhead - Breaking The Law. Lemmy sounds not only as if he means it, he's been there done that... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zeh7d53E ... re=related

Dead Kennedys - Viva Las Vegas. Puts the spirit back into the song with a slight twist in the lyric... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT72CgEJQNQ

Johnny Cash - Hurt. For me there's so much here, a depth that Renzor can't touch... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho

Siouxsie & the Banshees - Dear Prudence. Never liked the Beatles, they did one or two good song (acid helps the creativity)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25weBjXioB0

As for the worst cover I remember hearing, Death attempting Painkiller by Priest. No one can top Halford, this whole song is complete in its purity, its perfection, why even try.

What?! I was about to come in and post Deaths cover of Painkiller as the best cover ever.

I don't like it as much as the original either, but the original is my 5th favourite song of all time :)

He's obviously not trying to "top" halford, hes going for something different instead of attempting to do it normally, and it pays off IMO :)

I just gave that Painkiller cover a listen, and bloody hell is it good. I like the original, but on bad days I wish Halford's shrieking would be replaced by something else. So this is the alternative for those days.

Perun said:
I like the original, but on bad days I wish Halford's shrieking would be replaced by something else. So this is the alternative for those days.
The Tim "Ripper" Owens live versions?  :D

Perun said:
I just gave that Painkiller cover a listen, and bloody hell is it good. I like the original, but on bad days I wish Halford's shrieking would be replaced by something else. So this is the alternative for those days.
I agree about the shrieking.

Since I am still reeling about what is going on in Priest survivor, I will have to point out here that their version of Fleetwood Mac's Green Manalishi is the best cover ever recorded.
And even Joan Baez has to admit their take(s) on her Diamonds and Rust is a close contender.

Late to topic again!! Songs are usually written for a voice, so anyone else singing it will sound odd which is why covers often are re-arrangements of the original etc (and not just a carbon copy with different musicians), sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

As already stated by others:
Johnny Cash - Hurt, I just think it flows far better than the original and the video for it just adds extra weight to the track, it's haunting.
Turisas - Rasputin, much better than the original. Seen it live twice and it's fun as hell.
Judas Priest - Green Manalishi.

Some songs have been covered sooo much though...but, the title of the thread is covers better than original not "best cover versions" :p
Joan Jett & The Blackhearts - I Love Rock'n'Roll, Original .. which actually is decent enough on its own, even though most people have never heard it.
Kiss - God Gave Rock and Roll to you II, Original. As much as Kiss have several 'problems', I do prefer their version over the original, different lyrics too. However the best version is the Bill & Ted one with Steve Vai's intro solo included... not sure if it's even been commercially released though :/ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfcS9yRzYwg)
Rainbow - Since you been gone, Original - Maybe it's just nostalgia, but the Rainbow one just sounds so much better to me.
Judas Priest - Diamonds and Rust (acoustic), I know it's been mentioned already but they did two versions, and although it's a close call between which one I prefer - their electric cover or their acoustic one, I think this one takes it as its a bit more emotional.
Guns N Roses - Live and Let Die, Original, just better in my opinion.. plain better. Although I am biased as GnR are one of my favourite bands (even Chinese Democracy, yes).
Guns N Roses - Since I don't have you, Original, Although I (shockingly) actually quite like the original.. it's not something I'd ever put in a playlist, but am happy to listen to if it comes on the radio. I won't go any further into the rest of the Spaghetti Incident as a lot of them are pretty good.
Glenn Tipton - Paint it Black, Original, I love the original for this but I love the Tipton version too.. and it makes it into more playlists than any of the other versions I have (All of which I love - Hayseed Dixie and W.A.S.P being the other 2, all are different styles).
W.A.S.P - Somebody to Love, Original, Okay this is more just a matter of me liking metal I guess.. but I do think its a good cover. I won't list any more WASP covers as they've done quite a few... The Real Me, Paint it Black, Burn, Mississippi Queen...

There are a lot of songs I think are equally as good as the original for various reasons and would really struggle to call either one "better"
Northern Kings - Don't Stop Believing, Original, I love the original (although rarely listen to it anymore due to events) and I wouldn't nessecarily say the Northern Kings version is "Better", but it's fantastic in its own right.
Northern Kings - My Way, Original - Love the NK version! But its more my style so thats only natural.

I don't class them as covers..but Halfords versions of Prisoner of your eyes and Heart of a Lion are superior to the Priest released recordings IMHO.

Okay, I think thats enough, I can't be bothered finding youtube links anymore :p ... Johnny Cash did a lot of covers and many of them are fantastic. (Ring of Fire is a cover :p), His cover of U2's "One" and Neil Diamond's "Solitary Man" are both superior imho, whereas his cover of Will Oldman's "I see a darkness" is fantastic, but I would struggle to call it better than the original I find them both good for different reasons.

Hayseed Dixie I think deserve a mention all on their own, their covers aren't nessecarily better than the original because it is a COMPLETELY different style, but I do enjoy a listen to it, it certainly puts you into a more upbeat mood. I saw them live a few years ago at Donnington, there was more people at the small tent watching them than were at the main stage watching MCR.. who left early due to being bottled.

I need to stop writing essays.

I also like Edguy's and Lunatica's versions of Ultravox's Hymn, better than the original.

And I can't believe I didn't think of it before, but Barry White's cover of Billy Joel's Just the way you are is fantastic.

Pretty faithful and very intense version of a highly underrated song. :ok:
(Still pretty tough for any vocalist to do a Dio song).

Resurrection time :D
Badass cover of Rainbow classic:

Good cover, very faithful to the original as mckindog said, but still kind of lacking the punch. For some reason, I miss the energy of the original in this one.

Always thought this wasn't a bad cover (not better though). I love that solo as well.

A mellow cover, with terrible vocals and a self-obsessed guitarist. Sounds like a brilliant hard rock number turned into an average power metal song to me.

He sings pretty good for a German. Actually I think he sings better than most non-native English speakers (and native English speakers!). Good range and power. Compared to this the Paradox singer sounds much weaker, has this typical terrible German accent and is even off key.

The cover is pretty faithful to the original and Iron Savior are a power/heavy metal band, so if someone does not appreciate such a sound, I am not surprised it sounds average to them. I agree that it is not a very original cover because they hardly changed anything (at the same time you could call it faithful as well).

I disagree with you on the solo because I find it melodic and fluent, and because it's a bit speedy (hardly more or even less than the Paradox solos) that doesn't mean Kai Hansen is a self-obsessed player.

Back