Coming Home

How good is Coming Home on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
    No question in my mind, this is the 'hit' song maiden will have for the radio, and to bring in many new fans.  I think it is perfect.  Hard enough to satisfy the metal head [like me], yet melodic and easy enough for the main streamers.  I think everyone will love Coming Home.  Side note. I think one thing that I love, being old enough to remember the 80's, is that it has that 'big Power Ballad' feel. 
    It is powerful and beautiful and metal all at once.  The lads nailed it here. 

I too am old enough to remember the power ballads of the 80's... However, I for some reason am having a hard time with this song... its just not that big to me,,  I will listen again now, and try to relate some of the expert analysis from the community..

BTW - love the piece of mind avatar - this is the album that changed my life when I was 12 years old!

When I first heard this I thought it was a kinda filler ballad and the chorus had been too overhyped in the reviews. God damn it if it hasn't grown the fuck on me though. It's the song I can't stop listening to at the moment and the chorus after a few listens is huge and catchy as fuck. Imagining coming through the clouds to your home country and seeing those runway lights below as you touchdown. On paper sounds like a stupid idea for a song but the imagery, music and emotion in Bruce's voice combine to make it a real goosebumper. Love it.

IronMark666 said:
When I first heard this I thought it was a kinda filler ballad and the chorus had been too overhyped in the reviews. God damn it if it hasn't grown the fuck on me though. It's the song I can't stop listening to at the moment and the chorus after a few listens is huge and catchy as fuck. Imagining coming through the clouds to your home country and seeing those runway lights below as you touchdown. On paper sounds like a stupid idea for a song but the imagery, music and emotion in Bruce's voice combine to make it a real goosebumper. Love it.

Hell yeah!

Well Im loving the guitar solo more now :shred:

Also I think my copy of this is inferior in sound quality.. having trouble with mids... I dont know - Ill keep listening and I hope its a grower

IMHO Isle of Avalon is the best thing on this album..

Isle is in my bottom three with The Alchemist and TMWWBK.

Not a bad place to be though. I simply prefer other songs. Including Coming Home.

I agree with yu on Alchemist and TMWWBK... Coming Home is very basic I guess is the only way I can put it - simple for Iron Maiden and maybe thats my hang up. I am not a hater of it.. I just dont get the emotion out of it like some of you.. Again, love the solo - very atmospheric (no pun intended!)

Thanks for the avatar love rivet_head.  Piece of Mind is my favorite album of all time.  It also changed my life at a very young age.  I hope coming home gets to you soon, because it is re-changing my life today!! LOL 

Moon - you need to listen to Isle again.. Its simply amazing and is a throwback to Seventh Son.. Huge riffs, amazing solos WOW.

Anyway - its nice to know there are actually women who enjoy Maiden. I have never met one in my life that is truly a fan... Ive had women tell me thy thin run to the hills is good, yadyadayada... But a Maiden FanGirl - Fucking sweet!!!!! :D
Bornless- I stole that album as a young, dumb punk soley for the cover art!!!      Man, I had no idea what I was getting myself into!  Funny thing i""s, I remember my dad telling me when I was in high school that I would " give up that crazy ass music when you get older" - HA!!! Im still listening, and I converted my dad to a fan at 62 years old! BAM

Yeah, I'm gonna give it another listen. I feel like I'm missing out.

I just realized there's only two females (including myself) here.

Rivet_ that rocks..your dad sounds like the coolest. Also I agree, nothing cooler than a Maiden Fangirl!!  Hey Moon-you and I gettin' ready for post #100!!  Congrats sister.....

Edit: I pasted the wrong writeup for this one the first time....fixed now...

Not afraid to admit that this song nearly brings a tear. Some of Bruce's finest vocal moments here...and I don't give a shit what anyone says...this is NOT a ballad, anymore than COTD or ATSS were ballads. Just because there's a part with acoustics and beautiful melodic vocal lines, doesn't make it a ballad...especially since a good portion of the song kick in heavier....while still maintaining the beautiful vocal lines. However, when Bruce sings the chorus I get chills and especially the line "You know I will not staaaaayyyy" is so fantastic that it reminds me of how I felt near the end of the song TTLBLAH. Just stunningly beautiful. This song is fantastic! All together now..."To Abion's land....coming home!" Ok...aND HOLY SHIT here....Dave's solo....oh my god...the fluid melody as it gives way to Adrians sharp and crisp solo....holy shit....I repeat....holy shit. Sometimes less is more....MUCH more.

bornless1 said:
Holy crap mates.  Coming home!   [Listening as we speak]  This has all the best parts of Wasted Years,+Out of the Shadows.. I even hear some Moonchild? maybe/   ...Damn. This song is outstanding.  Is it a power ballad?  Is it a rocker?  I'm getting some Scorpions feel here...It is romantic, powerful,  and pure metal!!  The intro and outro are the perfect bookends for a nearly uncontainable piece of made for a live audience Rock.  This is Maiden at their best.  We are blessed this day!!
  I wouldn't say it's Maiden at their best........its Bruce at HIS best.....this is a Bruce Dickinson/ Adrian Smith collaboration that belongs more on Bruce's next solo effort than on a Maiden Album....but am I glad that Steve is relinquishing some control to those two?  FUCK YES!....great song, great solo...cant wait to hear it live with 30,000 other fans
IronMark666 said:
  my feelings exactly

Could you imagine being a passenger on an Astraeus Airlines 767 with a certain co-pilot listening to this track?

Back