1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Home

Discussion in 'The Final Frontier' started by Night Prowler, Aug 9, 2010.

?

How good is Coming Home on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

9.4%
  2. 9

25.0%
  3. 8

40.6%
  4. 7

9.4%
  5. 6

12.5%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

3.1%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

9/10. Brings tears to my eyes. Sometimes I seek this out when I am flying, to close my eyes and imagine what Bruce feels when Ed Force One touches down in Heathrow or Gatwick. For a moment, he puts me in the captain's chair beside him. That's real magic.

2. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

So much emotion in this song and Bruce nails it. Love the themes in the lyrics and the melodies are magnificent.

3. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

9/10

Coming Home is another semi-power ballad, similar to Out of the Shadows from AMOLAD. Bruce delivers a powerful and emotive vocal and some truly heartfelt lyrics. He sings from the cockpit of Ed Force One, relating his feelings on returning from a lengthy tour and finally being able to rest. Dave and Adrian's solos are simply perfect, easy, melodic, and very bluesy. It's a really strong song, especially for Bruce.

4. soundwave

soundwave Educated Fool

My first reaction was "NOOOOOOO - another tawdry ballad to serve as a stopgap until the next epic".

I generally don't like it when bands do any variation of the "the road is so hard and I can't wait to go home" topic. For me, it's a way that musician's "break the fourth wall" and therefore detracts from my musical immersion. I was glad that Maiden stayed away from this subject (or cloaked it in storytelling) for so long. Having said that, they handled it better than most as they don't fully go down that road - I liked that it was from Bruce's aviator perspective and I could relate to it from a traveler's POV.

Musically, the song is fairly "stock". Nothing really that exciting other than Bruce's delivery and some good soloing from Dave and H. I'd rather listen to OOTS.

5. RueMorgue

RueMorgue Prowler

Please help with the acronym OOTS :)

6. RueMorgue

RueMorgue Prowler

I rather like this. Nice riff, lots of melody, heartfelt vocal.

7. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Domini canis

Out of the Shadows

Diesel 11 and soundwave like this.
  8. RueMorgue

RueMorgue Prowler

Thank you!

9. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Come to the Sabbath

I'm glad I saw this, because I couldn't figure out if he was talking about Out of the Silent Planet and forgot the P, or if he meant that one webcomic, Order of the Stick. :p

soundwave likes this.