"Coming Home" announced as Iron Maiden's next single.

portermoresby said:
What about the next being Starblind? Or The Alchemist?

Uhm... we already have 3 singles. Isn't that enough?

Genghis Khan said:
In order to fit into the neat radio time slots, you know where a song clocking in at 5:00 is considered a rarity and of an epic length.

False. That's a myth.

For about 20 years (the 70s and 80s) 3 to 4 minutes was the standard. And 5 minutes would have been epic then.

But if you actually look at the durations of the biggest hit singles since 1990, a huge number are over 4:30, and 5 isn't rare at all.

The phrase "3-minute single" became part of the conventional wisdom long ago, but few realize it has changed.

Edit for clarification: I'm not saying all singles are 5 minutes. That's obviously not correct. I mean that it's about 20% over 4:30, which was unheard of 20 years ago.

a lot of newer bands arn't afraid to put out long singles either. Avenged Sevenfold's latest clocks in at 6 minutes.

SinisterMinisterX said:
False. That's a myth.

For about 20 years (the 70s and 80s) 3 to 4 minutes was the standard. And 5 minutes would have been epic then.

But if you actually look at the durations of the biggest hit singles since 1990, a huge number are over 4:30, and 5 isn't rare at all.

The phrase "3-minute single" became part of the conventional wisdom long ago, but few realize it has changed.

Edit for clarification: I'm not saying all singles are 5 minutes. That's obviously not correct. I mean that it's about 20% over 4:30, which was unheard of 20 years ago.

I wasn't being literal.  I'm rather refering to the time in the 70s when radio jockeys played more of what they wanted, at least that's what I heard.  For example, playing long Pink Floyd songs.  Good luck hearing stuff that isn't a single on the radio.  I'm tired of hearing 'Crazy Train' when Ozzy is represented or 'Paradise City' when GNR is represented or 'Unforgiven' when Metallica is represented or all the other predictabilities.  Lame.  Boring.

Genghis Khan said:
Good point.  I haven't examined it much since I don't listen to the radio anyway.  But Maiden has done this before with 'Angel and the Gambler'.

Agreed, but Angel was available to us Fans, I have that edit as i expect you do too. Coming Home Radio Edit is being played on radio (or is it?) and yet we can not buy that version, even in a downloaded form, total stupid and I still can not understand why no Maiden singles have been made for the Final Frontier ??
Perun said:
Uhm... we already have 3 singles. Isn't that enough?

Maiden have not released any singles to us from the Final Frontier, Radio only promotional singles does not count :(

maidenpriest said:
Maiden have not released any singles to us from the Final Frontier, Radio only promotional singles does not count :(

Okay, they weren't physical releases, but El Dorado and The Final Frontier are considered singles. They even have artwork:

eldorado.jpg

art_satellite_15_the_final_frontier_iron_maiden_ironmaidenwallpaper.com.jpg

Perun said:
Okay, they weren't physical releases, but El Dorado and The Final Frontier are considered singles. They even have artwork:

eldorado.jpg

art_satellite_15_the_final_frontier_iron_maiden_ironmaidenwallpaper.com.jpg

the first one was a free download and the second one was a video on the website, we could not even get the music via download so IMO both are promotional tools, not to be considered 'official' singles in there discography

If Maiden decide to give a single for free instead of charging for it, why should that stop it from being official?  It's brilliant marketing if you ask me, and that's what all singles are about ultimately: marketing and promotion.  The case can be made against The Final Frontier since it was only released in video form, but El Dorado is definitely an official single.

you count one download song as a Maiden single, when no artwork or importantly B side songs were included and it was not released as a physical product like a 12'' inch or Cd single etc

A) See Perun's post above.  It had artwork.
B) Does a Hallowed Be Thy Name live track as a b-side honestly give it any more value?
C) So what if it isn't physical?  Maiden is adapting to the digital age far better than most bands in the music business.
D) Like I said, the purpose of a single is usually to promote the album.  I think Maiden achieved that pretty damn well with El Dorado.
E) From Wikipedia:
In music, a single or record single is a type of release (A), typically a recording of fewer tracks than an LP or a CD (B). This can be released for sale to the public in a variety of different formats (C). In most cases, the single is a song that is released separately from an album, but it can still appear on an album. Often, these are the most popular songs from albums that are released separately for promotional uses (D)

Invader said:
A) See Perun's post above.  It had artwork.
B) Does a Hallowed Be Thy Name live track as a b-side honestly give it any more value?
C) So what if it isn't physical?  Maiden is adapting to the digital age far better than most bands in the music business.
D) Like I said, the purpose of a single is usually to promote the album.  I think Maiden achieved that pretty damn well with El Dorado.
E) From Wikipedia:

I remember the days when Maiden gave good value with there singles and as long as the A side you had an unreleased studio songs, classics like Sherrif Of Huderfield and Mission From 'Arry and often a great live track as well as unique artwork, so I don't consider 'El Dorado' a single for one because it was for free, as far as I am concerned they just gave us a free exclusive song for nothing because there wasn't a single and it looks like the record company does not want them to release any :( Maiden needed to sell there new album so gave us a taster!!

Back