1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic cinema - thoughts and questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Forostar, Aug 19, 2006.

1. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

Very cool

Netflix to finish final Orson Welles film
    thenewdaily.com.au/entertainment/movies/2017/03/15/netflix-orson-welles-the-other-side-of-the-wind/

After decades on the shelf, legendary filmmaker Orson Welles’ final work The Other Side of the Wind will finally be finished and released, courtesy of video streaming provider Netflix.

Netflix will acquire global rights to the film and finance its completion and restoration, the company said in a press release.

“I can’t quite believe it, but after 40 years of trying, I am so very grateful for the passion and perseverance from Netflix that has enabled us to, at long last, finally get into the cutting room to finish Orson’s last picture,” producer Frank Marshall said.

The roman-a-clef about a brilliant, ageing director, played by Welles’ friend and colleague John Huston, making a final film with no plot, no script and no money, has been the stuff of Hollywood legend for decades.

Welles began it in 1970, but never completed it due to a lack of funding for his unorthodox, unscripted production.

Since his death in 1985 the project has been entangled in legal and financial disputes.

Welles is considered one of the greatest directors of the 20th century, the mastermind behind classics including Citizen Kane (1941) The Magnificent Ambersons (1942) and Othello (1952).

But his legacy includes as many misfires as masterpieces.
    Welles left more than a dozen films unfinished over his career.

Forostar and terrell39 like this.
  2. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

I temporarily changed the topic title to draw some extra Maiden geeks. ;--)

Apparently there's a 1962 film called "The Iron Maiden" (also known as "The Swingin' Maiden)! Has any of you heard of it before? Or better: seen it?

The theme of the Bedford Steam Engine Preservation Society's (BSEPS) annual Steam & Country Fayre for 2011 was a celebration of the 1962 film 'The Iron Maiden', which was made in the local area. The display was a tribute to the Society's founder and President the late John Crawley, who was technical advisor to the film and 'starred' as a female double in many scenes. The display featured five of the 'star' engines form the film and many of the background 'extra' engines.

[​IMG]

The Iron Maiden:
    Mighty in strength and endurance!

[​IMG]

3. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

I thought of making a list of "Interesting Sci-Fi" films. Interesting should be seen as a very loose, broad term. Interesting from a historical or artistic point of view, or because it could be good or because it was good. Of course, a film can turn out to be shit. I'm making this list with a friend, and our main interest is space travel films. But fantasy/monster/robot kind of sci-fi will also appear, also when it's only on earth. Every film has the year and some (sub genre) keywords for later reference.

The first part is til 1924. Feel free to comment if you like. Any story content please in spoiler tags. :) From this first part, I have only seen The Hands of Orlac. If you wish to recommend a film that is omitted (especially in a period that is listed), also go ahead of course. Much appreciated!

1902 Le Voyage dans la Lune
    Moon Space travel Alien
    Georges Méliès / France

1916 Verdens Undergang
    Meteor Disaster movie
    August Blom / Denmark

1918 Himmelskibet
    Mars Space travel
    Ole Olson / Denmark

1919 The Master Mystery
    Robot
    Burton King / USA

1920 Algol
    Alien
    Hans Werckmeister / Germany

1920 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (with John Barrymore)
    Monster
    John S. Robertson / USA

1921 L'uomo meccanico
    Robot
    André Deed / Italy

1924 Aelita: Queen of Mars
    Mars Space travel
    Yakov Protazanov / USSR

1924 The Hands of Orlac
    Monster Transplant
    Robert Wiene / Austria

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  4. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

Cannot say I have seen any of those ... The earliest scifi entertainment I have seen that I really enjoy start with the 1936 Flash Gordon serials .. I like the Space Opera stuff

Forostar likes this.
  5. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Still a while before I get there, but it's certainly in the back of my head!
    I'm sure you've seen more pre-1936 sci-fi, bearfan, but perhaps not in space (travel) sense.

6. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

The only 2 I can think of that I have seen are Metropolis (1927) and and A Trip to the Moon (1902) ... it has probably been 20 years since I have watched either. But beyond the 1930/40s serials I am afraid I am not of much help in pre-1950s scifi.

7. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

Watch this space!

bearfan likes this.