Zhang Yimou's Hero
Sammo Hung's The Prodigal Son
The Coen Brothers' Barton Fink
Emir Kusturica's Black Cat, White Cat
Bruce Robinson's Withnail And I
Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man
Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction

At least according to my imdb vote-history :p

Though I think that's quite representative of my film-tastes in general.

2. Do you also appreciate older films? Which ones?

Indeed I do. I can't say I have an extensive collection or anything like that, but I don't have a problem with black and white, and think that some of the best looking movies ever are B&W. Jarmusch's Down By Law is one of the most beautiful films I've seen. I've been wanting to get into Bergman, but never got around to it. I plan on seeing The Seventh Seal sometime soon, though. My fave classic or black & white movies would be:

Seven Samurai
Down By Law
Casablanca
North By Northwest
Gone With The Wind
The Big Sleep
Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Also, pretty much anything with Bogart gets my vote. The guy's quite probably the coolest man that ever lived.

3. Do you have favorite directors?

Definitely. Right now Chan Wook Park is definitely on top. After JSA and the Vengeance trilogy I've sworn my allegiance. I've yet to see I'm a Cyborg, but that's Okay yet, but I'm sure I'll like it. Bong Joon Ho is also one of my favourite current directors. Memories of Murder is my favourite crime-story, and The Host is bar none the best "big monster"-movie ever made. Yes, it beats the crap out of the original Godzilla, and even Jaws imo. Though he hasn't had too big a track-record, I'm loving his work so far.

For more famous ones: The Coen Brothers, Terry Gilliam, John Woo (pre Hollywood), Jean Pierre Jeunet, and Joss Whedon (who's only directed one movie, but tons of TV, and the man's a genius. Firefly FTW!).

4. Do you have favorite actors?

Johnny Depp. There just isn't a part this man can't play. From Raoul Duke to Ed Wood and Jack Sparrow, he's a genius through and through. The best actor living today. Bar none. It's a shame he hasn't been more recognised. He deserves to have at least a few Oscars by now. But that's how it goes when you do comedy and indie-stuff. I'm sure he'll get a sympathy-nod for At World's End, but that's really an insult to his career.

Notable mentions: Chow Yun Fat, Song Kang Ho, Shin Ha Kyun, Choi Minsik, Kevin Spacey, John Goodman, Christian Bale, Dustin Hoffman, Tom Cruise, Bill Murray, Tom Waits.

5. Which genres do you prefer?

I move fairly freely throughout any genre. The only movies I don't watch are pretty much parodies (think Scary Movie) and teen-comedy (She's All That and so on). As for my favourites, I'd say dramas (Magnolia, The Fountain) dramedies (Fargo, Ghost World, Punch Drunk Love), scifi (Star Wars, Serenity, Blade Runner, The Fountain), martial-arts (Hero, Prodigal Son, Flying Daggers), action (The Killer, Hard Boiled, Die Hard), off-beat comedy (Big Lebowski, Amelie, Delicatessen, Withnail And I) and a little side-dish with Zombies (the Romero-series, Shaun Of The Dead etc).

Phew. Now I just need room to reply to all of you guys' posts :p

Metal_made said:
I just don't get it, why such movies were able to create all that without all the new things, one would think, that with better Special Effects, the movies should be even more awesome, but IMO it seems to go all the other way around.  I don't like to think that the art is not anymore what it used to be, something to transmit ideas, feelings... But now, it seems like money sits down in the director chair and makes the movies.

There is some new good stuff, but all that I pointed out, everyday comes out less and less.

I know how you feel, while Romero's trilogy is classic (though I prefer Dawn to both Night and Day) most of the stuff today is quite average. However, I think that three noteworthy Zombie-movies have been made in the 00s:

First of all, Romero's Land Of The Dead. It might be inferior to the originals (though I might place it above Day), it still showed that zombie-movies can still be social commentary. Sure, he didn't pull it off quite as elegantly as he did in the original Dawn, but he still makes points about our society that are just as valid. And I think it's great to see that the creator of the genre can come back and make a movie that if nothing else is thoroughly entertaining. I'm really hoping he chooses to continue the mythos somehow. His Diary Of The Dead looks very promising, and hopefully will be a new take on the genre.

Second, Shaun Of The Dead. If you haven't seen it yet, you have to. It's a "romantic comedy... with zombies". And the thing about it is that it works, on every single level. The writing is brilliant, the zombie-parts are genuine, they aren't a parody of the zombie-movies, but just the elements reused in a new setting. The creative team behind it love the genre, and treat it with the utmost respect, while making a hilarious and emotionally charged movie. It might be my favourite Zombie-movie second to Dawn.

Third, the remake of Dawn Of The Dead. It changed the game, and many people disliked that. However, it did so with respect in my opinion. They knew they couldn't make the same thing over again, so they took the main elements, and made a kickass action-horror-film with great writing. If all summer blockbusters had scripts that great, I'd be a happy camper.

And as a footnote, Ryuhei Kitamura's Versus. A call-back to the Evil Dead school of film-making, this low-budget Japanese Zombie-actioner is absolutely brilliant. Funny, tons of zombie-slaughter, and great action. Not a master-piece by any means, but great genre-filmmaking.

Shadow said:
Computer technology has increased the possibilities of cinema enormously, for good and bad. For while it's now possible to realistically depict more things than ever before, the story inevitably suffers from over-emphasis on visual effects. Film-makers have so much fun creating and enhancing the effects they completely forget about good scripts, acting and directing - in short, the things I like the most about older films. While I'm sure the obsession with computer graphics is very much a passing phase, it always annoys me when a film that could have been great is spoiled by mindless action scenes (Revenge of the Sith, anyone?).

While I generally agree with that statement, I'd like to emphasise that it's (in my opinion) the "mindless" aspect of this that is the problem. RotS is a great example. At the end we had a duel for the ages. Obi Wan vs Anakin, an event that was possibly even more pivotal than Luke vs Vader in ESB/RotJ. It should be a historic even. However, they went completely gung-ho due to the possibilities they had. It became Jedi-Tarzan on a river of Lava instead of the grim duel between to icons. If they'd just have taken the setting, with the place falling apart, but Obi Wan and Anakin fighting it out with each other, and not with the environments, it would have been a much more interesting piece of cinema. Especially if you throw some dialogue in there, but if they did it well enough, they wouldn't have had to.

I'm a strong believer in that action can be an expression of emotion even without the use of dialogue as explanation. And CG and SFX can make it all the more beautiful and powerful, but it's this "mindless" use of it that's destroyed some films. I already mentioned I love Hero, and Zhang Yimou's movies are perfect example of how to marry CG with action and powerful result.

Re: Classic cinema / current cinema - thoughts and questions

Shrike said:
My fave old/black & white movies would be:

Seven Samurai
Down By Law
Casablanca
North By Northwest
Gone With The Wind
The Big Sleep
Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

North by North-West and Gone With The Wind are in colour. But perhaps you meant: My favourite old movies are...(?)

I meant old or black and white, maybe I could have written it better :p Classic cinema to me includes some colour-movies. I mean, Gone With The Wind was made before Casablanca, for instance. And there have been some great B&W work done "recently", as you'll notice by me including Down By Law (http://youtube.com/watch?v=7BE2M-772dQ), which is from 1986. I wanted to diversify a bit :p

Shrike said:
1. What are your favorite films?

I know how you feel, while Romero's trilogy is classic (though I prefer Dawn to both Night and Day) most of the stuff today is quite average. However, I think that three noteworthy Zombie-movies have been made in the 00s:

First of all, Romero's Land Of The Dead. It might be inferior to the originals (though I might place it above Day), it still showed that zombie-movies can still be social commentary. Sure, he didn't pull it off quite as elegantly as he did in the original Dawn, but he still makes points about our society that are just as valid. And I think it's great to see that the creator of the genre can come back and make a movie that if nothing else is thoroughly entertaining. I'm really hoping he chooses to continue the mythos somehow. His Diary Of The Dead looks very promising, and hopefully will be a new take on the genre.

Second, Shaun Of The Dead. If you haven't seen it yet, you have to. It's a "romantic comedy... with zombies". And the thing about it is that it works, on every single level. The writing is brilliant, the zombie-parts are genuine, they aren't a parody of the zombie-movies, but just the elements reused in a new setting. The creative team behind it love the genre, and treat it with the utmost respect, while making a hilarious and emotionally charged movie. It might be my favourite Zombie-movie second to Dawn.

Third, the remake of Dawn Of The Dead. It changed the game, and many people disliked that. However, it did so with respect in my opinion. They knew they couldn't make the same thing over again, so they took the main elements, and made a kickass action-horror-film with great writing. If all summer blockbusters had scripts that great, I'd be a happy camper.

And as a footnote, Ryuhei Kitamura's Versus. A call-back to the Evil Dead school of film-making, this low-budget Japanese Zombie-actioner is absolutely brilliant. Funny, tons of zombie-slaughter, and great action. Not a master-piece by any means, but great genre-filmmaking.

Wow Shrike, I'm really glad that you also appreciate the zombie movies, specially Romero's work, since the social commentary he gives in his movies always make me think about our society.

I do have a copy of both, Land of the Dead and Shaun of the Dead, actually those movies were in my mind when I wrote that there were good movies now, and you can't imagine the way I laughed with Shaun.

I promise I will try to find the japanese movie you mention, because if someone who clearly loves films recommends it, it's worth giving a try.

Congratulations Shrike ,really, your taste for movies is superb.

Nice topic. I even watch both classic and current films but rarely, black and white films.
Among my favourite films are:
1. The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976)
2. Robocop (1987)
3. Robocop 2 (1990)
4. Robocop 3 (1993)
5. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
6. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)
7. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
8. Braveheart (1995)
9. Goldeneye (1995)
10. Kingdom of Heaven (2005)
11. Commando (1985)
12. X.X.X. (2002)
13. Jason and the Argonauts (1963)
14. Die Another Day (2002)
15. Transformers the Movie (2007)
16. The Living Daylights (1987)
17. There's Something About Mary (1998)
18. Hellboy (2004)
19. Dodgeball (2004)

I actually have no favourite actor and director but action and comedy are my favourite film genres.

It seems me (and my wife) are becoming serious film noir freaks!

Here a list of film noirs we own. 129 in total of which we have seen 109. The films in italics we still have to see. All these films are from the classic noir period (so no neo-noir).

Ace In The Hole
Act Of Violence
Angel Face
Angels with Dirty Faces
Asphalt Jungle, The
Behind Locked Doors
Beyond A Reasonable Doubt
Big Clock, The
Big Combo
Big Heat, The
Big Knife, The
Big Sleep, The
Big Steal, The
Blue Dahlia, The
Body And Soul
Boomerang!
Born To Kill
Brute Force
Call Northside 777
Clash By Night
Crime Wave
Criss Cross
Crossfire
Cry Of The City
D.O.A.
Dark Corner, The
Dark Mirror, The
Dark Passage
Dead Reckoning
Decoy
Desperate Hours, The
Detective Story
Detour
Double Indemnity
Enforcer, The
Fallen Angel
File On Thelma Jordon, The
Force Of Evil
Fourteen Hours
Gilda
Glass Key, The
Gun Crazy
Harder They Fall, The
He Walked By Night
High Sierra
Hitch-Hiker, The
House Of Strangers
House On 92nd Street, The
Human Desire
In A Lonely Place
Kansas City Confidential
Key Largo
Killers, The
Killing, The
Kiss Me Deadly
Kiss Of Death
Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye
Lady From Shanghai, The
Lady In The Lake
Laura
Leave Her To Heaven
Letter, The
Long Night, The
Lost Weekend, The
Lured
M
Maltese Falcon, The
Mildred Pierce
Ministry Of Fear
Moonrise
Murder, My Sweet
Mystery Street
Narrow Margin, The
Niagara
Night And The City
Night Of The Hunter, The
Nightmare Alley
Notorious
Odds Against Tomorrow
On Dangerous Ground
Ossessione
Out Of The Past
Panic In The Streets
Phantom Lady
Pickup On South Street
Pitfall
Postman Always Rings Twice, The
Railroaded!
Raw Deal
Reckless Moment, The
Rififi Chez Les Homes, Du
Roaring Twenties, The
Scarface
Scarlet Street
Secret Beyond The Door
Set-Up, The
Shadow Of A Doubt
Side Street
Sniper, The
Somewhere In The Night
Sorry, Wrong Number
Spellbound
Strange Love Of Martha Ivers, The
Stranger On The Third Floor
Stranger, The
Strangers On A Train
Street With No Name, The
Sudden Fear
Sunset Blvd.
Suspicion
Sweet Smell Of Success
Tension
They Drive By Night
They Live By Night
Thieves' Highway
Third Man, The
This Gun For Hire
T-Men
Touch Of Evil
Two Mrs. Carrols, The
Where Danger Lives
Where The Sidewalk Ends
While The City Sleeps
Whirlpool, The
White Heat
Woman In The Window, The
Woman's Secret, A
Wrong Man, The
You Only Live Once

:blink: :blink:

Wow...what a collection! I've never even heard of like...almost all of them?  :blush:

But then I'm American...I watch the movie as it comes out in the theater...then get it on DVD.

I don't even know what "classic noir" means  :(

Film noir from the fourties and fifties is normally considered classic noir.

While the definition of film noir is highly debated, films of the genre are usually some sort of crime or social problem drama, visually characterized by low-key lighting style (high contrast between dark and light areas on the screen) and odd camera angles to emphasize tension in the scene.

Although I can't claim to be as acquainted as Forostar with the genre, I'm a great fan of classic noir, especially because of the emphasis on dialogue rather than flashiness to narrate the story.

A cool thing I like about film noir is that most films are not flooded with unnecessary words. Everything is very to the point.

From all movie genres, film noir (together with the oeuvre of Alfred Hitchcock) is the best possible combination of entertainment and excitement with a high level of artistic values and complexity. The narrations, the flashbacks, the twist, the tension, the suspense. Not to forget: Great magnificent camera work!

In comparison, you have e.g. cool entertaining films like comedies or action films, but there is little artistic value to them. On the other side you have a lot of deep sophisticated arthouse films with a lot of artistic value, but it has not enough entertainment value, for me. Not enough excitement.

The paradox is that film noir looks very American, but it also has European touch, thanks to all the great European directors who were involved in those days.

source: http://www.cinematical.com/2007/08/15/r ... -the-dead/
-------
RKO to Remake 'Isle of the Dead'
Posted Aug 15th 2007 1:02PM by Monika Bartyzel
Filed under: Classics, Horror, Deals, Scripts & Screenwriting, Remakes and Sequels

Years ago, RKO was one of the huge Hollywood studios. It isn't anymore, but as part of the company's revitalization, they're re-doing a lot of the company's library. Recently, a deal was made for a Body Snatcher* remake, and now they're getting creepy again by modernizing the old Boris Karloff film, Isle of the Dead. They don't have a director on the project yet, but they have tapped screenwriters Brian Horiuchi and newcomer Matt Lazarus to pen the remake. According to The Hollywood Reporter, RKO CEO Ted Hartley says: "Val Lewton made his name by taking the horror genre to a new place. Brian and Matt have the same kind of genre-bending sensibilities that will give this classic tale the perfect blend of contemporary themes and timeless scares."

Well, I guess if you're making a remake, it's a big plus that the original is over 60 years old. It's a bit better than the remakes that come only 10-20 years after the first. Now, the original film from 1945 is about a Greek commander (Karloff)..
karloff081507.jpg

..on an island where a terrible plague erupts. He quarantines the island, and the people on it succumb to the plague and die. However, some start to wonder if a vampire is the actual cause of the death. To make things more modern, RKO is going to move the setting over to a viral outbreak in Afghanistan. Personally, I'd really love to see them go a step further and have it be about the SARS craziness -- vamps preying mainly on sick and old people, not young, hot things. THAT is something we haven't seen before.
----------------

*Wow, a remake of The Body Snatcher! The Body Snatcher might be my favourite film with Boris Karloff!
Story: A ruthless doctor and his young prize student find themselves continually harassed by their murderous supplier of illegal cadavers.

Found a nice and interesting page about cinematographer John Alton.
Born on 5 October 1901, in Sopron/Ödenburg, Austria-Hungary (now Hungary)
Died on 2 June 1996, in Santa Monica, California, USA

"John Alton: Painting with light"
http://www.celtoslavica.de/chiaroscuro/dop/alton.html

It is often claimed that film noir is more a matter of visual style than of content. If so, cinematographers no less than directors and screenwriters should perhaps be listed among the true auteurs of the noir cycle, and John Alton would certainly rank as one of its prime exponents.... (read on, on the webpage)

Nice info and shots, from a few films he did. I copied a few shots, that I like:

t-men9.jpg

t-men16.jpg

raw7.jpg

raw13.jpg

raw14.jpg

raw16.jpg

walk3.jpg

walk5.jpg

walk2.jpg

big13.jpg

Hey Forostar,  I just want you to know I really enjoy all your posting on this thread.  I look forward to seeing new post here.  I am also a film noir freak.  So with your recomendation I recently watched Dark Passage with Boggie and Bacall.  I loved the way it started off.  Not seeing the convicts face through out most of the film kept me wondering.  Great acting by all parties.  I also noticed a chemistry between Humphery and Lauren.  They were good together on film and in real life.  My next film will be The Big Sleep.

Wow! John Alton was an incredible cinematographer!  I like the shots you posted.  What movie are the stills taken from?  The lamp post one is haunting and I can almost feel the mist.  Who said black and white is dead?  These pics prove otherwise. 

Hi char_da_harlot, I'm glad I can raise some interest for old movies! :)

Bogart is my favourte film noir actor and perhaps even my favourite actor overall.

The Big Sleep & Dark Passage belong to my favourite film noir's with Bogart.
Other must see film noirs with Bogart: In A Lonely Place, The Enforcer  and The Maltese Falcon.

The John Alton stills are from a few different films.
Follow this link and you'll see more (and from what films they are):
http://www.celtoslavica.de/chiaroscuro/dop/alton.html

From the films he shot, I'd recommend Raw Deal, He Walked By Night & The Big Combo. I haven't seen T-Men yet, but it should be good as well.

I will take your advice and write down this information on John Alton.  I know In a lonely Place is free on demand but the others I will keep a look out for.  TMC (Turner classic movies) has a bogart and bacall marathon every now and then.  There is a movie I always wanted to see called All about eve but never got to see it.  My Mom is a big black and white film freak thats how I became one myself...from her.

Thanks for the recomendations and I will post as I watch each film. :bigsmile:

Ever seen Frank Sinatra(!) playing a cruel bad guy, trying to assinate the president of the United States? Here a pretty exciting film noir, in the public domain. No paying, no downloading, just on YouTube:

Suddenly (1954, 75 minutes)

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9UNwdaZVHA
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ1jhjprNOQ
Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7DgCEI-Qpc
Part 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2FSPJurVTE
Part 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95sLWqsXqtI
Part 6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DErMEUQmEOk
Part 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VLQGBBZwhM
Part 8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrazvCpnL2Y

If interested, enjoy! :)

From 6 December til 16 Januari the filmmuseum in Amsterdam will show many Frank Capra films!
I think I'll go there to see Mr. Smith goes to Washington (1939) and Meet John Doe (1941) (both on the same afternoon, Saturday 15th).  :)

Recently I saw "The Fallen Idol" (1948), directed by Carol Reed, who's especially famous for "The Third Man".
Plot outline -->
A butler working in the French embassy in London falls under suspicion when his wife accidentally falls to her death, the only witness being an impressionable young boy.
fallen-idol_420.jpg

Nerve wrecking at the end!

Anyone seen an old film recently and like to talk about it?

I saw Berlin - Symphony Of A Great City last week.

0000-5390-4~Ruttmann-Berlin-Symphony-of-a-Great-City-Posters.jpg

It is a very famous silent documentary by Walter Ruttmann from 1927. It portrays a typical day in Berlin, from sunrise to midnight. The film can, in my opinion, be watched and appreciated on a number of different levels:

The Historical Level: The film was made eighty years ago, before Berlin was almost completely destroyed in the course of the second world war, and before it was divided into the free western and communist eastern parts. During the second half of the 1920s, Berlin was on top of the world. With four million inhabitants, it was one of the biggest cities of the world, and the cultural life outshone that of Paris, London or New York. Music, literature, film, performing arts and the likes were unrivaled, and although often considered trivial at that time, are nowadays collectively considered classic. The film is a vivid portrait of the city and provides first-hand insight in work, customs and entertainment of the city and "its" era.

The Artistic Level: The film itself is a work of art. It is a breathtaking collage of images of every-day life combined with a symphonic score which perfectly accompanies the footage. It makes the viewer feel the different speeds and rhythms of the town during different times of the day. Perhaps the most memorial scene is the over-the top velocity of the late morning, which just keeps getting faster and faster and all of the sudden stops when noon arrives and everybody does their lunch break.

The Level Of Personal Interest: I am from Berlin, and despite having lived in other parts of the world for most of my life, I have always felt connected to it and regarded it as my home town. I am very happy to live here again, and I'm trying to catch up on what I have missed, which also means exploring the city's history. It is interesting to compare the Berlin I live in today with the town that is portrayed in the film, and although much has changed, some very basic things have astonishingly remained the same, although there are less and less people here who can carry on the traditional Berlinian spirit (the part of the city I live in is inhabited mostly by immigrants who often enough hardly even speak German).

Since Berlin was almost entirely destroyed in the war, one might want to watch the film with the desire of seeing the intact city as it was before the nazi regime and the war. Be warned. Although you do get to see that, it might not be what you expect. The director explicitly kept the images anonymous, and most of the time, you won't be able to place the scenes geographically- they take place in "just another Berlinian street". There are a few exceptions; a few places such as the Friedrichstraße, Potsdamer Platz or the Kudamm had/have their very own characteristics and are therefore easily recognisable. But if you want to see undestroyed landmarks, this isn't the film for you. A handful of landmarks is shown by a passing-by camera at the very beginning of the film at sunrise and are not explored any further.

Nevertheless, if you are interested in Berlin before -and after- it became perhaps the strangest city of the world, the "golden twenties", or simply an extraordinary piece of art, this is the film for you.

Interesting. I have been a couple of times in Berlin, but only for a few hours, as a "fast" tourist.
Do you know why the director explicitly kept the images anonymous?

On a sidenote: Coincidentally, I'm now watching Tortilla Flat, a comedy featuring Spencer Tracy. The cinematographer is Karl Freund (also director of The Mummy and Mad Love).

Besides being one of the cameramen of Berlin - Symphony Of A Great City, he also filmed Metropolis, Murders In The Rue Morgue, Dracula, All Quiet On The Western Front and many other films.

In Berlin.. he used a hidden camera to capture the people of the city going about their daily lives. Always technically innovative, Freund developed a high-speed film stock to aid his shooting in low-light situations. He also perfected the simultaneous three-camera coverage of the show as it was performed live in front of an audience, which remains the primary method for shooting a sitcom.

just discovered this thread, wow, it's fuckin' AWESOME !!

good work Forostar  :ok:

Back