Children of the Damned

How good is Children of the Damned on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Children of the Damned

Atmospheric, melodic, great chorus, what's not to like?  I give it 9, with 10 reserved for Hallowed and the likes.

One of my top 10 Maiden songs. All the good words said by Invader, Valacirca and more, can only be seconded.

10/10.

valacirca said:
One of their best. Great lyrics with dark melody and an intense atmosphere. Beautifully sung by Bruce and I dare say that the tone he has on this song is unrivaled by any other song in their catalog.

10/10

Yes, Em is certainly Bruce's best Key, along with D.

Vortex said:
Yes, Em is certainly Bruce's best Key, along with D.

I don't think the point was the key the song was in, but rather the "colouring" to Bruce's voice in this particular song.

It sounds a bit strange to conclude from him sounding great on this song that E minor is the key he sings best in - regarding far more than half of Bruce era songs are in that key. Do you think Bruce sounds worse on songs (or song parts) in, let's say, A minor? An example of this is 2 Minutes to Midnight - that one is in A and personally I think Bruce sounds great on it.

Eddies Wingman said:
I don't think the point was the key the song was in, but rather the "colouring" to Bruce's voice in this particular song.

It sounds a bit strange to conclude from him sounding great on this song that E minor is the key he sings best in - regarding far more than half of Bruce era songs are in that key. Do you think Bruce sounds worse on songs (or song parts) in, let's say, A minor? An example of this is 2 Minutes to Midnight - that one is in A and personally I think Bruce sounds great on it.
I think Bruce has a pretty good sound in most keys. A doesn't suit him, alot of stuff is written in D, for that Maiden tone, but Bruce sound's haunting in Em, particulary in slower songs.

I have never given this much thought - maybe because I simply have never noticed that the quality of his singing is dependent on the key the song is in. For me it is a non-issue, because Bruce has a good enough range to handle it even if Maiden decide to transpose songs a quart up or down.

When you say A does not suit Bruce, I'm really curious for examples. Which songs (in A) do you think he sounds less good on?

All the great stuff of the song has already been said, so don't want to repeat it. I give it a 9/10. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 is that I like 2 songs more on this album (But only 1 of them is getting a 10).

Great song this one.
The clean guitars on the verses are beautiful, the chorus is good enough and the tapping lick by Adrian sounds amazing, great guitar work in this song. 4th best song on the album for me, so 8/10.

9/10 This is a second tier Maiden song. Not quite good enough to get a 10 with the real big guns but it's lurking just below. The most under rated part of this song is the solo, which is brilliant.

Jonszat said:
9/10 This is a second tier Maiden song. Not quite good enough to get a 10 with the real big guns but it's lurking just below. The most under rated part of this song is the solo, which is brilliant.

Agreed. It's not that complex, but it is very neatly done. Check out the Donington 2007 version of the song and hear the crowd's response to the solo  :D

In Children of the Damned Bruce did one of his best performances from his whole career, especially his deliveries in the chorus. This song has become much darker since I've seen the film, earlier this year.

The song contains various dimensions of awesomeness.
A. We have the calm, atmospheric but suspenseful couplets, with the great bassline.
B. The loud (contrasting!) choruses.
C. The very intense later parts before and after Adrian's solo, where Adrian plays the low melody (just like in Purgatory and Die With Your Boots On), while Dave takes the chords, full force. I love Clive in these parts, he certainly contributed to them, in a major way.

This, to me, is almost an epic song by Maiden.  Had there not been so many 10's, this would be one.  Its so very close.

10 when it came out, has dropped to 9 in the shadow of later classics. Great vocals and drums.

Another amazing song! 9/10

I don't think any song through 7th Son will get less than an 8 from me.

How do you guys know what key the songs are in? o_O Are you doing it by ear or do you have a reference?

valacirca said:
How do you guys know what key the songs are in? o_O Are you doing it by ear or do you have a reference?

A bit of both, I can usually tell what key a song is in by listening, but don't always get it right.

Back