"Chemical Wedding" & Gilgamesh Cover: Similarities

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Hugh Gilmour, Bruce Dickinson's graphic designer whose artworks can be seen on "Anthology" (2006), "The Best Of Bruce Dickinson" (2001), "Alive In Studio A" (1995), "The Chemical Wedding" (1998) and "Tyranny Of Souls" (2005), spoke to Roadie Crew magazine's Thiago Sarkis about the similarities between the front cover of Dickinson's "The Chemical Wedding" and prog/jazz/fusion group Gilgamesh's "Another Fine Tune You've Got Me Into" (released in 1978!). (See both cover images below.)

"I didn't know about the Gilgamesh LP cover, which was very interesting," Gilmour said. "Designers and artists are inspired and influenced by each other all of the time. I think it's a much bigger problem for someone like Roger Dean, whose brilliant artwork is almost instantly recognizable as prog rock, so ends up being used as some sort of visual shorthand."

According to Gilmour, neither he nor Bruce had any knowledge of the Gilgamesh album's existence. "Both Bruce and myself are big fans of William Blake," he explained. "I didn't know about that Gilgamesh album, and I'm sure Bruce didn't know either. All of the images used had to be licensed officially from the Tate Gallery in London, who own them."

3173987640_719f77dd5d_o.jpg

(source)

I don't find it all that surprising, though interesting - it seems both covers are based on the same work of art.  Very interesting story though Foro!

LooseCannon said:
I don't find it all that surprising, though interesting - it seems both covers are based on the same work of art.  Very interesting story though Foro!

of course they did, it's an original Mighty Blake drawing !!
his style is very recognisable; he was not only a poet but also a painter and a sculpter

Maybe this is worth noting:

Cover: "The Ghost Of A Flea" (c. 1819) by William Blake, Courtesy of The Tate Gallery, London.

From the credits of the Chemical Wedding album.

Perun said:
Cover: "The Ghost Of A Flea" (c. 1819) by William Blake, Courtesy of The Tate Gallery, London.

yeap exactly !! he did a serie with this subject Ghost of Flea, some in pencil some in acrylics.....

Back