Cd Reviews

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
This is a "now playing" "recently purchased" type thread. I've bought or rediscovered a few cds but aside from making an individual thread for the band/cd on the Metal for Life forum, there really isn't a place to discuss such things.

Until Now :D

So at any rate I first want to talk about Icarus Witch. This band from PA, USA formed in the late 90's early 2000's specifically to make traditional metal. Disgusted with the nu metal seen they decided to conjure up the sounds of old and boy did they succeed. Their only album to date is their 2005 release "Capture the Magic" and it is an amazing album from start to finish. The title track has an amazing solo and tracks like "Darklands" and "the ghost of Xavior Holmes" made me think of Maiden. Darklands is similar to "Quest for Fire" in that it has warriors searching the darklands for the eternal fire.... The Ghost of Xavior Holmes reminded me of the Rhym of the Ancient Mariner only as far as the see voyage theme goes, because in this case everybody on board the ship has died, but Xavior hasn't realized this and thinks he is the sole survivor...

Next is Amorphis
Amorphis is a band that took me some time to get into, but once I did I wanted more. They began as a death metal band and have ventured into a softer/mainstream sound as of late, but they are still masters at what they do. this is a band that I hate putting into a genre because they experiment so much. I like to think of them as Opeth's little adoptive brother lol.
Their last cd, "Eclipse" is a concept album based on a Finnish myth and I would call it more "mellow" than previous releases. It starts off rather heavy but by the fourth track the songs begin to be more piano/keyboard driven and well... mellow. It is a SOLID album, not a SINGLE weak track and you just get lost, it is one of those albums that sucks you in and doesn't let go until it's over.

Now for the doomsters in the house I have Candlemass. I was introduced to this band last year while doing my radio show. We got a copy of their latest self titled album and fell in love with it. It SCREAMS Neo-Black Sabbath which basically means straight up doom metal. It turns out they've been around for a whle (circa 1982ish) and I purchased the reissues of Nightfall, Ancient Dreams and Tales of Creation. these albums include their "classic" line-up and are considered "classic" albums in the Doom Metal Pantheon. While their sound doesn't change much the songs are briliant, dark and depressive as Metal should be lol. What really makes these albums are Messiah Marcolin's voice which complements the dark riffs rather well.

These are actually CDs I got before Christmas, but I'd like to stick them down anyway, because they are great albums.

Diamond Head - The Best Of
Diamond Head deserve far more than being remembered as 'the band Metallica covered'.  This is the band that helped Metallica write the songs for their first two albums (when they weren't using Mustaine/Hunting riffs)...without Diamond Head, Metallica would not have gotten to where they are today.  Influential is one way to describe this band, but letting the music speak for itself is the best way to appreciate Diamond Head.  A vast array of blues-influenced NWOBHM, ranging from the upbeat and rocking 'It's Electric' and 'Helpless' to the epic 'Sucking My Love', 'In The Heat Of The Night' and 'Borrowed Time'.  The former two are songs majorly covered by Metallica (along with 'Am I Evil'), and with good reason; the combination of groovy bass, memorable riffs and the incredible solo sections in the other three songs are reasons why Brian Tatler is one of my favourite guitarists.  He certainly ranks alongside the Three Amigos and the twin guitar attack of Priest, in terms of technical skill and songwriting ability.  The vocals of Sean Harris are also of note...he is both intense and relaxed, almost casually competent in drawing you into the music (very similar to Robert Plant...in fact, Led Zep are one of DH's main influences).  The whole act give an impression of competence and skill, and are one of the defining NWOBHM acts.  This Best Of is what it says on the tin...apart from 'The Prince' being absent, this is 100% killer from their first three LPs.  If you don't have this now...GET IT!

Ensiferum - Ensiferum and Iron
The first two full-length LPs from Finnish Folk metallers Ensiferum.  A relatively new band on the scene, they've made quite a name for themselves among the European circuit, despite lead guitarist/vocalist Jari Maenpaa's departure to his side project Wintersun after the release of Iron.  Whilst their newer material (under the command of Norther's Petri Lindroos) is very turning towards the Children of Bodom/Nother/Kalmah sound (as is Wintersun), the earlier Ensiferum is folk metal of the best kind.  Upbeat, casual and very, very drunk, these two albums have the ability to hit hard one minute, soft the next, with numerous time changes and acoustic interludes.  The Finns certainly are proud of their heritage, as well; the Finnish flag is a symbol seen on shields in the cover art, and the music and lyrics are deeply tied to traditional Finnish values.  The use of the 38-string kantele on several tracks throughout their catalogue is an unusual, yet effective variation, but the backing riffs of Markus Toivonen and Jari's melodies and insane sweeps (listen to the solo in 'Guardians of Fate', or Wintersun's 'Beyond the Dark Sun'!) give musical bliss.  Plus, any band that gives one of their members an instrument credit of 'Drunken bottle percussion' is worth a second look in my book. :D

Ok, after listening to it for a week I'll write about Therion's new double CD Gothic Kabbalah.

Right after Deggial I had ideas for a new album, but one day I woke up and felt I needed to make a Nordic concept album for some reason. Secret of the Runes was then written more or less in 2 months; however, the 7-8 songs for this original follow-up to Deggial were put on ice for the time being.

After finishing the world tour for Secret of the Runes, making Live in Midgård, recording a Demonoid album, and having a small vacation, those 7-8 songs had grown to 55 songs and pieces that could be developed into songs. This was partly due to my own productiveness and also because Kristian had become well synchronized with his song writing, delivering both complete songs and parts that I could put together with my ideas into songs (and the other way around too) – not to forget Johan, who had also written a bunch of songs.

We went through the songs and realized that we had enough good material for three albums. Recording one after the other, promoting, and touring each one separately would have taken several years and would have been a bad idea; and being so productive, we would have had another 55 songs waiting when we finally came to the end of it.

Recording all three at once would have been too much work on our shoulders, so we made a compromise and recorded two at once for a simultaneous release and saved songs for the third one. The way of dividing the songs was to take the more progressive songs for the future third album, the songs that were more straightforward and heavy metal inspired to Sirius B, and then the rest were put on Lemuria (thus making it the most diverse of these 3 albums). However, after recording the two albums we swapped a few of the songs between the albums, which made them slightly more similar to each other but also more varied in themselves.

These albums had 171 people participating in the recordings and the huge orchestra and choir were very different sounding compared to the more close and intimate sound created on the previous album, Secret of the Runes. -- Christopher Johnsson.

What Johnsson meant by "proggressive" was "different". the new album is not a prog metal piece, but rather a new direction. Gone are the opera choirs and complex orchestration replaced by a more straightforward "band" and simple (by therion standards anyway) arragements done with a keyboards. There is a solo sprano and tenor in a couple of tracks, but no more. Also gone is Christopher's singing instead signing on Mats Leven who was lead vocalist in their last tour of Serius B and Lemuria and two non-opera female singers who still have amazing voices. Otherwise the line-up is still the same one from Deggial (Johnsson, the Niemann brothers and Petter Karlsson on Drums) with Thomas Karlsson again writing a bulk of the Lyrics.

Side note: Thomas Karlsson is apparently the leader of the Pagan order Christopher Johnsson has been a part of since 91 and has written a big bulk of the lyrics for Therion since 96's Theli. So in a way Therion is religious music :D

Anyway. Upon first hearing this 2 cd masterpiece I thought, "this is what the fans must have felt upon listening to Theli back in the day." In other words, "What happened to the Therion I knew?" I'll admit at first I didn't like it, but after a couple of listens I must admit the new slimmed down band sounds great and the songs are spectacular. They of course still have the Therion sound, minus the Opera Choirs.

So a bold new step which only makes me wonder, how are they going to tour with this new material and their back catalog?

Thin Lizzy - Black Rose

One weird thing about Thin Lizzy is that while admittedly a lot of their stuff is very similar, I never get tired of it. The twin guitars and Phil Lynott's voice are instantly recognizable on this one as on any Lizzy record, and the for the most part the songs are faithful to the estabilished standard rock song pattern of verses and choruses, but it's a rocking piece nevertheless. 'Do Anything You Want To' kicks the album off beautifully with some good guitar playing and lyrics that would make any rapper proud in terms of rhyming. 'Waiting for an Alibi' was a new hit single for the band and definitely one of the stronger songs on the album, dealing with Lynott's recurring theme of social misfits and failures. 'Sarah' and 'With Love' are typical Lizzy songs about love, 'S & M' perhaps not quite so. 'Got to Give It Up' hints at Lynott's increasing drug abuse.

The stand-out track on Black Rose is easily the title track - 'Roisin Dubh (Black Rose): A Rock Legend' - which closes the album with a blast. Lynott had dealt with topics of Irish culture and history several times previously, but never on this scale. In a seven minute epic split in four parts, filled with twists and turns and beautiful melodies, he ties in a large number of traditional Irish folk songs, stories and historical figures. His love and passion for the subject comes across more clearly than ever and the track is essential listening for anyone interested in Lizzy's music.

All in all, it's a fine album worthy of repeated listening, but it doesn't quite rise to the level of Johnny the Fox and Live and Dangerous when it comes to showcasing the explosive power of the band's music. The fact that both Phil Lynott and Gary Moore were also working on solo projects at the time might have something to do with it, but then you can't expect every album to be as good as those.

Onhell said:
Next is Amorphis
Amorphis is a band that took me some time to get into, but once I did I wanted more. They began as a death metal band and have ventured into a softer/mainstream sound as of late, but they are still masters at what they do. this is a band that I hate putting into a genre because they experiment so much. I like to think of them as Opeth's little adoptive brother lol.
Their last cd, "Eclipse" is a concept album based on a Finnish myth and I would call it more "mellow" than previous releases. It starts off rather heavy but by the fourth track the songs begin to be more piano/keyboard driven and well... mellow. It is a SOLID album, not a SINGLE weak track and you just get lost, it is one of those albums that sucks you in and doesn't let go until it's over.

Now for the doomsters in the house I have Candlemass. I was introduced to this band last year while doing my radio show. We got a copy of their latest self titled album and fell in love with it. It SCREAMS Neo-Black Sabbath which basically means straight up doom metal. It turns out they've been around for a whle (circa 1982ish) and I purchased the reissues of Nightfall, Ancient Dreams and Tales of Creation. these albums include their "classic" line-up and are considered "classic" albums in the Doom Metal Pantheon. While their sound doesn't change much the songs are briliant, dark and depressive as Metal should be lol. What really makes these albums are Messiah Marcolin's voice which complements the dark riffs rather well.

Next step in classic doom metal for you could be the American band Solitude Aeturnus ! They just released their latest album Alone, after a long break. Talking about Candlemass, you might know that Messiah is gone and replaced by Solitude Aeturnus(!) singer Robert Lowe ! First I was happy, then sad (since I thought it was the end of SA), but it seems he will be singing in BOTH bands ! Great news :-)

About Amorphis, they're around way longer than Opeth. Their album "Tales From A Thousand Lakes" is a true classic, and by far my favourite album. Probably their best sold record as well. I think that this album was one of the first albums with grunts, I ever appreciated. Great songs, melodies and atmosphere.

Thank you Forostar! This was my main goal for this thread, give reviews and people can suggest similar bands, agree disagree etc. I didn't know Amporphis has been around for that long and I did know about Lowe being the new front man for Candlemass. Apparently Marcolin is too much of a prima donna. I'll definately look up his current band since I've heard of them, but haven't heard them.

Right, I've finally done it and purchased Tyranny of Souls (by, eh, Bruce :D).

My initial impression is that, for me at least, it lacks the punch that grabs you instantly. Chemical Wedding had this, but not Tyranny of Souls. A couple of tracks immediately stand out - Abduction and Navigate the Seas - but some of the others seem a little, dare I say it, predictable. However, I know NA cites this as his favourite solo Bruce effort and I have also had a recommendation from a last.fm user to stick with it - "it will reward you in the end", I'm told. This I will and will as I trust Bruce not to release an album that is under par (Tattooed Millionaire beside).

Albie said:
Right, I've finally done it and purchased Tyranny of Souls (by, eh, Bruce :D).

My initial impression is that, for me at least, it lacks the punch that grabs you instantly. Chemical Wedding had this, but not Tyranny of Souls. A couple of tracks immediately stand out - Abduction and Navigate the Seas - but some of the others seem a little, dare I say it, predictable. However, I know NA cites this as his favourite solo Bruce effort and I have also had a recommendation from a last.fm user to stick with it - "it will reward you in the end", I'm told. This I will and will as I trust Bruce not to release an album that is under par (Tattooed Millionaire beside).

My favourite tracks are the first three ones and the brilliant title track, which was originally written for the Trinity project (Dickinson / Halford / Tate) which unfortunately did not happen.

Ok, so I finally gave Savage Circus a fair listen. This is Thomen "the Omen" Staunch's new band. For those of you that have been living under a rock the past couple of years, Staunch is Blind Guardian's old drummer. He left do to creative diffeences as he did not like the new direction BG was heading in and preffered their older sound. If you've heard a Twist in the Myth you can see why he left, not that it is a bad album, but it definitely is a departure.
    At any rate, Dreamland Manor is a great album that sounds EXACTLY like old BG, Staunch's intention no doubt. Even the vocal harmonies and the vocalist's voice sound a lot like Hansi's. I keep thinking of Imaginations from the other side when I hear it. The sound is so similar I was sure Staunch (who gets major billing by the way) did most if not all of the writing, however the entire band is credited for music and lyrics. If you miss BG's old sound this is one for you, if you like that brand of speed metal you'll like it to, great stuff, can't believe I didn't get it sooner.

Onhell said:
     Ok, so I finally gave Savage Circus a fair listen. This is Thomen "the Omen" Staunch's new band. For those of you that have been living under a rock the past couple of years, Staunch is Blind Guardian's old drummer. He left do to creative diffeences as he did not like the new direction BG was heading in and preffered their older sound. If you've heard a Twist in the Myth you can see why he left, not that it is a bad album, but it definitely is a departure.
     At any rate, Dreamland Manor is a great album that sounds EXACTLY like old BG, Staunch's intention no doubt. Even the vocal harmonies and the vocalist's voice sound a lot like Hansi's. I keep thinking of Imaginations from the other side when I hear it. The sound is so similar I was sure Staunch (who gets major billing by the way) did most if not all of the writing, however the entire band is credited for music and lyrics. If you miss BG's old sound this is one for you, if you like that brand of speed metal you'll like it to, great stuff, can't believe I didn't get it sooner.

Uhh, it's Stauch, not stench.

Almost a full 19 years after their last studio album, Onslaught have finally released "Killing Peace". And I have to say, it is a quite spectacular effort. Easily the best album I've brought since "A Matter of Life and Death" (no, I'm not comparing the two - just pointing out I've not purchased anything better since). Considering this was apparently due in the second quarter of 2006, the delay has been worthwhile.

The music is intense and unrelenting. Sy Keeler's vocals are the best I've heard from him. The drumming is (verging on Lombardo) superb. Quite possibly Onslaught's best effort so far. In fairness, the last album ("In Search of Sanity") lead to a small change in style from proper thrash to a more mature sound and this was largely due to the employment of Steve Grimmet (of Grim Reaper fame) on vocals. His vocal range allowed them to further their sound, but the reformed Onslaught has put Keeler back on vocal duties and the band has taken to a more classical thrash sound for Killing Peace. Some have suggested this album is very similar to Exodus's "Shovel Headed Kill Machine", but I have yet to hear this so can't comment.

The pick of the tracks has to be, so far, the title track, Burn and Prayer for the Dead, but all tracks are good to superb. A good consistent album and a must for any fan of thrash.

The Godfathers of UK thrash are back. :D

I'm looking forward to laying hands on that myself Albie, as soon as I get some money, that is. ;) Power From Hell and The Force are just amazing and I've yet to hear In Search Of Sanity, but might give it a little look see when I get some dosh, as stated above. Onslaught are playing a festival here, so hopefully I shall be throwing a few elbows around to "Fight With The Beast", if I'm a lucky boy. :P

The most recent CD that I bought was the reissue of Sabbat's Dreamweaver, re-mastered and expanded with extra tracks. I have to say that when I first heard the album, it was a barely decent quality MP3, and it still amazed me. Andy Sneap's tight riffing, and Walkyier's poetry mixed together to form some of my favourite thrash music of all time. Understandably when I found out that Sabbat were reforming, I was over the moon, and then the announcement came that they were releasing both History Of A Time To Come (which has been available) and Dreamweaver (which was long out of print and going for up to €100 on ebay for a copy). I got mine on the day that it was released, and let me tell you that it is just mind blowing.

The production on the original MP3s that I had was compressed down so it was very flat sounding and low. Mr. Sneap's re-mastering opens it all back up, letting all the music come up in a flurry of thrashy riffs and complex words. To me, Dreamweaver is possibly the best thrash album of all time, and it was a dream come true to finally own it on CD. Each song is just a masterpiece, possibly culminating with Do Dark Horses Dream Of Nightmares?. From the start until the end, Dreamweaver keeps you enthralled in its complexity and makes myself, anyway, wonder how so many haven't heard of this band/album.

Ten out of ten, find me a thrash album that can beat this, and I'll buy you a pint, or whatever it is you drink. ;)

What is good news is that a lot of these thrash albums are been re-released - such as Shattered Existence (with the Ghostbusters EP as three bonus tracks). I already had the Ghostbusters CD and the Shattered Existence on cassette and I spent several years trying to get the album on CD where it was affordable (on eBay they were going for £30 upwards). I eventually found it around 5 or 6 years ago in some second hand Norwegian online store and paid around £18 for it. Had I waited till now, it would have been even cheaper - hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Ok, so I've bought and rediscovered quite a few cds as of late, but I'll begin with my latest purchase one I was very excited about. I'm talking about Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys: The Legacy World tour Live in Sao Paulo AND the DVD to same said tour Live in Three Continents. It is a REALLY good cd and you can hear the crowd really well, I wonder if any post production was done to it, because the last time I heard such a good crowd was on Iced Earth's Alive in Athens.

The DVD is really good too, good shots of the band and crowd with nice editing like spliting the screen and showing both guitarists on a twin solo. The set list was amazing since they played King for 1000 years, Keeper of the Seven Keys, Occasion Avenue and Helloween... all songs over 10 minutes. They played classics like Eagle fly free, future world (extended do to band introductions) and new ones: Mrs. God and The invisible man. All in all it is a two and a half hour long show... not bad.

I only have two complaints. No songs from Better than Raw and Andi Deris. Actually all the bands antics, they seemed... childish. Deris would encourage the crowd to yell and would give them thumbs up. Who gives thumbs up SERIOUSLY after age 10? Fortunately that doesn't ruin the show, it's amusing, but... really weird.

Onhell said:
I only have two complaints. No songs from Better than Raw and Andi Deris. 

I don't get the point. No songs from Andi Deris?
Deris is the singer on this release. The band is Helloween (as you know ;) ).

Forostar said:
I don't get the point. No songs from Andi Deris?
Deris is the singer on this release. The band is Helloween (as you know ;) ).

Do I sense a bit of irony here, or do you really not know what his point is?  ;)

Yax said:
Do I sense a bit of irony here, or do you really not know what his point is?  ;)

I honestly don't know. Please do explain and we'll see if my "understanding" sucks or if Onhell made a little mistake.

OH hahaha, My bad... I meant no songs from the Album Better than Raw and Andi Deris's on stage antics were my only TWO complaints. Still a very good DVD though. Saw it last night again at my buddy's house with surround sound and big plasma tv :D

Back