1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I Play With Madness?

Discussion in 'Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2004.

?

How good is Can I Play With Madness? on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

16.2%
  2. 9

10.8%
  3. 8

27.0%
  4. 7

27.0%
  5. 6

5.4%
  6. 5

8.1%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

5.4%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Donner

Donner Ancient Mariner

Re: Daily Song: Can I Play With Madness?

The low point on an otherwise perfect Maiden album.  I also don't think this song works live AT ALL.

6/10

Cool video though.

2. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

Yeah, everybody said it: Catchy and poppy. Is that bad in itself? No. What bothers me a bit is how this works on the mood of the lyrics, and the album as a whole. They lyrics are rather mystical, but the way they are delivered don't do them very much justice. It is as if Bruce came along and said, "Oy mate, I just talked to the prophet, and guess what he told me! He said that you ain't free and your soul's gonna burn in the lake of fire. Bummer, eh? Well, catch ya later!"
    Having said that, if you separate it from the album context and listen to it on its own, it works pretty well, and it is a great live song. I'd give it 5/10 for dragging down the album's atmosphere, and 7/10 for its live merits, which makes this a solid 6/10.

3. national acrobat

national acrobat Ancient Mariner

Very catchy song, and I've always had a soft spot for it probably because it's one of the first Maiden songs I heard. But it doesn't stand out very much, so 5/10.

4. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

The least good song from the album, but compare this with some other least good ones from other albums (for me that would be: Dance of Death, Virtual XI, Iron Maiden, Killers, Piece of Mind, The Final Frontier) and you suddenly have a decent song.

I like the different guitar roles (as always: Dave riffing on and on, and Adrian taking the chords), and actually I like the chorus too. Live, this chorus was never sung that well, unfortunately. The videoclip is one of the best.

My grade would be around 6,5 so I'll give a 7.

5. Taker

Taker Cannon Fodder

8 out of 10... One of my favorites on the album, and great live. Cool guitars, and I've always liked Nicko's drumming on this one.

6. Jupz

Jupz Ancient Mariner

I love this song, and its one of my faves from the album. I agree that it doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the album though.

7. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Worst song off the album, I don't like it so much. Not a terrible song but not great. 5/10.

8. Zare

Zare Dream of broken citadels

This song is made to be a single, it's pretty much dull, instrumental part is one of their most uninspired ever, and it's too fucking commercial.
    The lyrics fit the theme of the album, and it doesn't hurt my ears either.

5. I actually like the overly hated Apparition more than this song.

9. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Hell yeah, I thought I was the only one who thought that the punishment (and the hate!) of that track was exaggerated.

10. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

This song is way too commercial for me. As Eddie Trunk once said "It's Bon Jovi for Iron Maiden". And I'd have to agree with him. I knock it down an extra point because it is god-awful live. 5/10

11. Vap

Vap Ancient Mariner

6. I used to like this a lot more before. I still like the breakdown in the end.

12. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

I see that this song isn't very popular around here, but I really like it. Yeah, it's simplistic, slightly commerical, but it's damn catchy, and Bruce sound MADly good. It never sounded good when played live, but it's a great studio track. 8/10.

13. Fugazi

Fugazi Alchemist

7/10, It's a pretty good song, good sing along chorus, really liked the promo video.

14. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

A notch below the rest of the album .. an 8.

15. 8. I have never been able to resist the catchyness of this song. Not one of the best on the album, but still a great fun song.

16. Dityn DJ James

Dityn DJ James A coma stole my name.

I'm obligated to like everything from this album. 8.

17. Chartwell

Chartwell Trooper

Catchy tune. I gave it a 9, although it's worse than other songs I've rated 8 before. Basically, a nostalgia rating - plus one of the only Maiden songs I consistently hear on the radio, and what can I say... I loved the video when I was a kid. So it gets a higher rating than it should have. Also, song structure is awesome, and the harmonies... well, it shows some real maturity.

18. Dityn DJ James

Dityn DJ James A coma stole my name.

Maiden gets no airtime where I live.

19. Revelations85

Revelations85 Trooper

9/10. A classic Maiden song, with awesome vocals.

20. Great Sage

Great Sage Invader

Fucking great tune, if you ask me.

Dityn DJ James and Kid_Ego like this.