Bruce Dickinson

How many pictures do you have with him?

I have 2, the picture from my avatar (London, December 2006) and the one where I look like a rocker and he looks like an academic (Heathrow, March 2013), uploaded below.

I have met him 3 times, but I do not have a picture of the second time (at Canterbury cathedral, December 2011), only an autograph and the memories of one of the best things I have witnessed live in 25+ years of attending gigs.

Attachments

• A_career_in_aviation_BruceDickinson.jpg
    A_career_in_aviation_BruceDickinson.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 20
Wonder who ghost wrote it, Eddie?

If it was Eddie, his handwriting is identical to Bruce's!

book1.jpg

So I decided to go through Bruce's solo albums one by one, and first up, his debut obviously.

TATTOOED MILLIONAIRE
Obviously, this is not Maiden. This is Bruce Dickinson. The style of this album is something of a mix of metal, hair metal, and hard rock, and mixed together. As it stands, the music is pretty good, though on occasion Bruce's voice will be a stumbling block - not that it's too bad because he uses his rasp to full form here.

Song by song:
Son of a Gun - Not that impressive as an album opener, to be honest. It's all right but nothing special. The 'Judas my guide' bit could have been used on a different song. 7/10
Tattooed Millionaire - Maybe it's because I've already heard this song, but I really like it. Chorus is great, and the whole thing reeks of excellence. 10/10
Born in '58 - Now this one was great. Probably my favorite song on the album, though the title track is good too so I'm debating. 10/10
Hell on Wheels - Strong song, not the moat outstanding but fairly decent. 8/10
Gypsy Road - Meh. I'd rather hear the Cinderella song, which is a far better song than this. Now if it was a cover of that song, I'd be more interested. 6/10
Dive! Dive! Dive! - After Born in '58 and the title track, this is the best song on the album. The submarine feel is great, the "ooooohh"s really make the track, and all the way through it's a delightful tune. 9/10
All the Young Dudes - Solid cover. Deserves some recognition. 8/10
Lickin' the Gun - Meh. Kind of a dumb song. 6/10
Zulu Lulu - Now this is a weird song. Wow. 7/10
No Lies - This one I'm torn on, because I really like the guitar and the instrumental ending, but the one big snag is the chorus. It's great until he does the "WhoooooooOOOOooooa!" Otherwise it's a great track. Ending is too abrupt though, so I don't think it's that great of an album closer. Could've used another chorus reprise at the end. Otherwise a solid song. 8/10

And since I listened to the 2002 reissue:
Spirit of Joy - Haven't heard the original, but I do like this song. Got an older feel to it. 8/10
Darkness Be My Friend - This one's a very interesting one. A like the little strumming, some of the lyrics are a little weird, but overall it holds up. My big gripe is that it's too short! 8/10
Sin City - Again, haven't heard the original, but it's certainly a solid song. 8/10
Winds of Change - An okay song, but there's a bit too much repetition for my liking. Scorpions did it better. 7/10
Riding with the Angels - Better closer than No Lies. 8/10

All in all, I'd give it a 7.9/10. Nice to listen to something different every now and then, despite a deal of needless repetition it's an enjoyable album that feels rather short, which works in its advantage. Balls To Picasso is next, whenever I get around to listening to it.

Cheers for making the effort, Diesel.
Yeah, it's cool! Listening to the same Maiden songs over and over again was getting a little repetitive, so I thought I'd branch out and look at their solo work too. I'm planning on listening to Blaze's stuff once I finish with Bruce. It's cool seeing the differences compared to Maiden.

On song ratings, I probably differ opinion the most on Son of a Gun. Love it!
I can see why one would like the song, it's not something I care for too much, but hey, differences of opinion are what makes it cool for us to have these discussions and whatnot in the first place, lol.

BALLS TO PICASSO
This one I had a lot of hopes in. I actually love both the title of the album and the cover. Listening to it though... I dunno. Tattooed Millionaire was a bit too soft, this one was a bit too heavy. It feels like a mix of sludge, thrash, and alt metal all put together and I dunno, doesn't work as well.

Song by song:
Cyclops - This song actually starts out the album quite well. One of the high notes. 9/10
Hell No - An okay song with an excellent chorus. The constant repetition of "Hell no" before the final chorus is unnecessary though. 7.5/10
Gods of War - This one's not really outstanding in much of any way. Never been a big fan of the Def Leppard song of the same name, which was the first thing I thought of. Both are "OK, but nothing special." 7/10
1000 Points of Light - Had some high hopes for this one, but it's not that great. Biggest disappointment on the album IMO. If I were to write a song called 1000 Points of Light, it would not sound like this. It would probably be an acoustic instrumental. In short, meh. 6/10
Laughing in the Hiding Bush - I like the way he sings the title, but otherwise it's not very outstanding. 7/10
Change of Heart - This one is a little strange but overall a high note for the album. 8.5/10
Shoot All the Clowns - Love the opening, but the song as a whole isn't the greatest. 7.5/10
Fire - My 'analysis' of Gods of War is pretty much the same for this song. 7/10
Sacred Cowboys - Now this one is a good song. Love the fast-paced verses. 9/10
Tears of the Dragon - On the one hand, it's not all it's cracked up to be, but on the other hand, it's an enjoyable track and an album highlight. 9/10

Overall, I'd give this album a 7/10. It's fine but I doubt I'll return to it again in the near future. Tattooed Millionaire is superior. Let's see how well Skunkworks fares.

...but first I think I'm gonna listen to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son 'cuz I need my Maiden fix. :p

BALLS TO PICASSO
This one I had a lot of hopes in. I actually love both the title of the album and the cover. Listening to it though... I dunno. Tattooed Millionaire was a bit too soft, this one was a bit too heavy. It feels like a mix of sludge, thrash, and alt metal all put together and I dunno, doesn't work as well.

Song by song:
Cyclops - This song actually starts out the album quite well. One of the high notes. 9/10
Hell No - An okay song with an excellent chorus. The constant repetition of "Hell no" before the final chorus is unnecessary though. 7.5/10
Gods of War - This one's not really outstanding in much of any way. Never been a big fan of the Def Leppard song of the same name, which was the first thing I thought of. Both are "OK, but nothing special." 7/10
1000 Points of Light - Had some high hopes for this one, but it's not that great. Biggest disappointment on the album IMO. If I were to write a song called 1000 Points of Light, it would not sound like this. It would probably be an acoustic instrumental. In short, meh. 6/10
Laughing in the Hiding Bush - I like the way he sings the title, but otherwise it's not very outstanding. 7/10
Change of Heart - This one is a little strange but overall a high note for the album. 8.5/10
Shoot All the Clowns - Love the opening, but the song as a whole isn't the greatest. 7.5/10
Fire - My 'analysis' of Gods of War is pretty much the same for this song. 7/10
Sacred Cowboys - Now this one is a good song. Love the fast-paced verses. 9/10
Tears of the Dragon - On the one hand, it's not all it's cracked up to be, but on the other hand, it's an enjoyable track and an album highlight. 9/10

Overall, I'd give this album a 7/10. It's fine but I doubt I'll return to it again in the near future. Tattooed Millionaire is superior. Let's see how well Skunkworks fares.

...but first I think I'm gonna listen to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son 'cuz I need my Maiden fix. :p
You gave some very high grades to songs I like the best as well. Sure a good enough reason to return to the album. Don't give up fast, lad. Lots of songs can be growers later on.

Check these Tears of the Dragon b-sides which are two of my alltime favourite tracks with Bruce. I'll never forget the day I put that CD-single into my discman for the first time (have it signed when I met Bruce briefly in 2016!, won't forget that soon either!):

Last edited:
You gave some very high grades to songs I like the best as well. Sure a good enough reason to return to the album. Don't give up fast, lad. Lots of songs can be growers later on.
Don't worry, I won't! Like I said, it's not something I'm gonna be returning to anytime soon, but I'm not ruling out anytime distant. ;) I'll certainly return to the album again and give it another shot someday.

Check these Tears of the Dragon b-sides which are two of my alltime favourite tracks with Bruce. I'll never forget the day I put that CD-single into my discman for the first time (have it signed when I met Bruce briefly in 2o16!, won't forget that soon either!):
Looks cool! I'll check 'em out after SSOASS ends.

Alright, so upon @Forostar 's suggestion, I listened to the songs.

The Breeding House - Now this time they're using the heaviness correctly. This song is better than anything on the album IMO. 9/10
No Way Out... To Be Continued - The only reason The Breeding House is 9/10 is because this song is 10/10. Amzing stuff. The change up partway through is weird but works, and the heaviness is excellent. 10/10
And seeing that there was a sequel...
No Way Out... Continued - Another great song. This one feels like a mix between a Dream Theater and Queensryche song. Only reason it's not a 10 is because there's some instrument in the back which for the life of me I can't find the name of which is a bit annoying, but otherwise it's great. 9/10

Honestly, I'd have loved to see a concept album expanding on both of the No Way Out songs, maybe even incorporating The Breeding House in there somewhere as well. Damn, fine stuff! :ok:

Make sure you check out the Dive Dive Live DVD as well. It's, well, entertaining ...
:)
The Anthology DVD set is the best one to check out. Get a few extra songs on the Dive Dive Live stuff you don’t get on the original release. I actually really enjoy the performance of Winds of Change on it.

The Anthology DVD set is the best one to check out. Get a few extra songs on the Dive Dive Live stuff you don’t get on the original release. I actually really enjoy the performance of Winds of Change on it.
That's actually the version I've got - I didn't realise it was different from the original.

Took me a long time to warm to Balls to Picasso, really didn’t rate it upon release apart from the track, Tears of the Dragon, which I’ve always loved. But in recent years the whole thing has grown on me, think the production could have been better, but the songs are there as far as I’m concerned. As for the b-sides from that period, I think, Cadillac Gas Mask & No Way Out ... Continued are both fabulous.

With regards the next studio release, I loved Skunkworks on release, but can’t seem to enjoy it now, bar the track, Strange Death in Paradise.

Bruce Dickinson - Soloworks : The Vinyl Collection

BMG proudly reissue Bruce's solo catalogue on vinyl and as a box set this autumn!

https://goo.gl/HThqBD

BMG will be reissuing Bruce's solo catalogue on vinyl worldwide on 27th October.
400bruce-dickinson_box1.png

Bruce's six solo albums span from 1990 to 2005 and have been cut from the original masters for reissue on heavyweight, black 180g vinyl in artworked sleeves. Two of the titles ‘The Chemical Wedding’ and ‘Tyranny Of Souls are being made available for the first time ever on vinyl. The four previously available: ‘Tattooed Millionaire’, ‘Balls To Picasso’, ‘Skunkworks’ and ‘Accident Of Birth’ have been long out of print, with the latter two titles now expanded to double LPs for optimum sound.

As a special bonus, all six albums will also be available in a limited edition ‘Soloworks’ box, a must have for any collector.

From the stripped down, hard rock of Bruce’s debut solo album ‘Tattooed Millionaire’ (1990) and it’s heavier successor ‘Balls To Picasso’ (1994), through the cutting edge alt-rock of ‘Skunkworks’(1996) and the heavy metal celebration of ‘Accident Of Birth’ (1997) to the modern metal with a traditional heart of ‘The Chemical Wedding’ (1998) and final solo foray, ‘Tyranny Of Souls’ (2005), these six albums are an essential part of Bruce’s story outside of Maiden and, more importantly, some of the most vital and absorbing metal albums of the last three decades. Revisit them now at maximum volume.

Everyone who purchases the complete ’Soloworks’ box from 'pledgemusic.com' will also receive a double-sided 24” x 36” poster.

£140 for the box, £20 -1LP- to £25 -2LP- by album:
Tattooed Millionaire 1 LP
Balls To Picasso 1 LP
Skunkworks 2 LP
Accident Of Birth 2 LP
Chemical Wedding 2 LP
A Tyranny Of Souls 1 LP

Back