Bruce Dickinson

Old school. Like Dickens.

No doubt this will be a fairly self-aggrandizing book -- most autobiographies are -- but I'll probably still want to read it.

Bruce has been quite self-deprecating in many occasions, so I guess it will probably be a quite entertaining read, full of interesting tales.

And here is the man himself with the manuscript, in WH Smith refill pads.

18160535_1898111677124036_6625042618071908352_n.jpg
Could he look any less like an aristocrat and any less like a rock star?

Looks like Shock Tactics is getting a vinyl reissue: https://www.amazon.com/Shock-Tactic...99829521&sr=8-2&keywords=samson+shock+tactics

Of all the bands in the New Wave of British Heavy Metal movement, Samson takes the woulda/coulda/shoulda been big stars prize. The band’s talent and theatricality were undeniable; guitarist and singer Paul Samson had replaced Bernie Tormé (of Gillan fame) in the band Scrapyard before founding Samson, which soon enlisted the lead vocal talents of a certain “Bruce Bruce” a.k.a. Bruce Dickinson, soon to be of Iron Maiden. Throw in bassist Chris Aylmer and drummer Thunderstick, who performed inside a metal cage wearing a gimp-style mask, and this was an outfit seemingly destined for big things. But, constant promotional gaffes (e.g. booking them on tour with an ill-matched Robin Trower) led the band to terminate their contract with management, who promptly brought an injunction keeping them off the road. Then, their label (Gem) went bankrupt; as Dickinson says, they “made every mistake in the business.” In the midst of all the turmoil, though, the band made its third and finest record, Shock Tactics, which was ably produced by AC/DC producer Tony Platt; but, as Iron Maiden was recording next door at Battery Studios in London, the two bands became friendly, and Dickinson left Samson for Iron Maiden just as Samson received big offers from A&M and RCA, which were instantly withdrawn upon his departure. So, classic music industry saga…classic British Heavy Metal! Real Gone Music is proud to present Shock Tactics in “Crimson Loincloth” vinyl limited to 700 copies and including the original album insert—first-ever vinyl reissue!

The band’s talent and theatricality were undeniable

I don't think so. Paul Sampson is nothing out of the ordinary, while Bruce Dickinson couldn't sing at all during his early years. He screamed and shouted everything. I think that Still Life was the first Dickinson recorded track where he actually sings the words rather than shouting them in intonation.
Core NWOBHM is very limited in artistic sense. Iron Maiden were prog-influenced from day #1 and that, indirectly, brought them success. Maiden is 'closer' to late-1970s Floyd than to Samson, Saxon, Angel Witch, Diamond Head or any of their other peers.

NWOBHM were just bands playing a more aggressively than what's been seen before (that would be Rainbow, UFO, and such, in the mid 1970s). There's no novelty in that. You can't hypothesize because of Maiden's success, nor any of those bands played remotely similar music to Maiden's.

NWOBHM is evolutionary, Maiden is revolutionary. They were first ones to mix prog and agression.

I definitely agree that Samson was mostly mediocre. The best thing they did was the cover

An interesting paragraph from an interview with Bruce from 1996:

Henrik: But you started this flying business, didn’t you?
Bruce: No, that’s complete bullshit. What we did was that we we’re gonna do this April false joke on April false day and we set up this company to say that we were gonna start this airline. Then it sort of got a bit out of hand. So we scrapped the idea just before April false day, but somebody got hold of it afterwards and said that I was gonna do this company.

He joked about it... And 10 years later Astraeus was born :D

He joked about it... And 10 years later Astraeus was born :D
He was employed as a pilot by Astraeus for a while, but yeah, he got Maiden to hire a plane from the company around 10 years later.

It fully happened when he was a co-founder of Cardiff Aviation in 2012 though! :)

Really looking forward to this. Nice that it has a date and cover now. I assume there will be some sort of book tour

“What Does This Button Do?” - Bruce Dickinson's memoirs to be published Oct 19th!

For the first time ever, Bruce shares his recollections of childhood and school days, joining Maiden, his solo career, aviation, his recent tongue cancer and much more. In typical Bruce style, this book was written exhaustively in longhand, filling seven A4 notebooks, which he has been working on meticulously whilst out on the road during The Book Of Souls World Tour!

The book will be released internationally with local language versions being made available too.

Pre-order now:

https://goo.gl/DAgRWe

Oh, how cool would it be if Bruce did the audiobook... It should be a no-brainer for the publisher. Make it happen!

Back