Bruce Dickinson

That footage is extremely upsetting.

Indeed. I remember the huge impression the carnage of the war in the Balkans had on me back in the day (I was a teenager with great interest in politics and history who could not understand how these things could happen and escalate so quickly). At the same time, the fact that my favourite musician made a special effort to be there to play for the people who were suffering this siege, made me incredibly proud.

I cannot wait to watch the documentary. I hope it will be released shortly after the film festivals' cycle for the documentary is over.

I was in Sarajevo a 7 years ago when there were still buildings that weren't patched yet. The fasades were filled with bullet holes and there were empty flats, because the grenades cleared them. The last time that I visited was 3 years ago and a lot of things have been patched since then. But I'll never forget my first visit there.

I visited Mostar 5 years ago and there were still many buildings that had not been patched. You could certainly see the scars of civil war there. :(

Some additional information about the documentary now available: www.screamformesarajevo.com

MV5BYThhM2I2NDgtMGQ2MS00NTYxLTkzNDMtNWY4YWMwNDJkMWZmL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQ2NzY5NjM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,739,1000_AL_.jpg

http://www.speakers.co.uk/microsite...ncert-that-nobody-believed-would-ever-happen/

In 1994 Bruce Dickinson defied all odds to make his way into worn torn Bosnia to perform a concert that nobody believed would ever happen. “Scream For Me Sarajevo” is a film that documents how Bruce and his band made it through the frontlines and into a city under siege to show their support for citizens being terrorised by shooting, bombing and starvation.

Ignoring official safety advice, and after being abandoned by the UN in Split, the film charts how Bruce and his band received unofficial help from members of the British Military and an NGO called “The Serious Road Trip” to undertake a perilous journey over the top of Mount Igman to play their legendary concert at the Bonsian Culture Centre.

Their journey, what this gig meant to those in the city and what a life changing experience this was for Bruce is explored as “Scream For Me Sarajevo” recounts Bruce’s memories of the concert as he revisits the city.

As Bruce explained when interviewed by the Radio Sarajevo show “The Aebyss” in December 2015:

“We had a few adventures and we ended up doing just an amazing life changing show. Life changing, I said that because I think it did change peoples lives. It certainly did me and the rest of the guys in the band. It messed with my head for a long time, probably ultimately in a good way I think.
I think it genuinely seems to have supported people’s belief in the fact that somebody somewhere actually cares and that there was a future for the place in the midst of all this carnage and the horror that was going on.”

Written by Jasenko Pasic and directed by Tarik Hodzic, “Scream For Me Sarajevo” received its world premiere at the 22nd edition of the Sarajevo Film Festival in August 2016 and is expected to receive a commercial release before the end of 2017. Pasic said of the film:

“I got the idea for the film one night when I was reading the story of Chris Dale about the concert of Bruce Dickinson that was held in 1994 in Sarajevo. Then I started the search for the people who were at the BKC that night and that story resulted in the film.
“Tatjana Bonny, Alex Elena, Tarik Hodzic and Adnan Cuhara are the people who created this film with me, which will show all the cruelty and the horror of the siege of Sarajevo, and that the people lived normally in those circumstances. ‘Scream For Me Sarajevo’ is a film about life.”

Trevor Gibson, now owner of Circle Studios in Birmingham (http://www.circlestudios.co.uk/), was one of the people that made the show possible back in 1994. Not long ago he uploaded some pictures to his Facebook account, from his visits to Sarajevo in 2014 (with Chris Dale and Alex Elena) and in 2015 (with Bruce) to shoot the documentary, from the premiere at the Sarajevo Film Festival, and from some of the atrocities that he witnessed (extremely upsetting). :(

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...10154359077483765.1073741829.507958764&type=3

On a day-off in Sarajevo, Bruce and his band went to an orphanage. This is what Chris Dale had to say about the experience (http://www.metaltalk.net/columns/20100823.php) and below is a picture taken on that day.

Chris Dale said:
Our 'celebrity' personal appearance was a little different too. Bruce and Alex were going to do an acoustic session at an orphanage.

An orphanage is always a kind of sad place, kids who for whatever reason don't have their mums and dads there to look after them. This was more tragic.

These kids had all lost their parents in the war. Many of them had seen them murdered in front of them. Some were still in shock, just staring straight ahead. They'd been like that for months. Others clung to us and wouldn't let go. Maybe they knew we'd be getting out of here soon.

There were two shell holes in the playground. The people running the orphanage told us the Serbs had fired the first shell during playtime. Then they put the second one in when the ambulance crew arrived. It was a cold attack and was calculated to cause the most possible casualties amongst children and non-combatants.

It was under these conditions that Sarajevo lived. Before we got there I had known this was a war. I had known that wars are bad things. But I wasn't emotionally prepared for this at all.

Reading this and seeing this picture of Bruce and Alex holding two orphans fills me with sadness. :(

british-rock-singer-bruce-dickinson-l-formerly-of-the-heavy-metal-GT1M9F.jpg

Thanks!

"The album is too heavy for the puppet"

He said he liked Dimmu Borgir!

(and don't forget this)

Last edited:
To me it sounds exactly like Bruce. Trying to learn a lot different things you get excited about, without knowing what it takes to master them at first (singing, radio, fencing, flying, writing, aviation bussines...). BTW I hope the foreword is written by Nicko.

Last edited:
This will be interesting ... especially to see how personal he gets given that he has tended not to give out all that much personal info in the past.

Wonder whether that title's correct...

It is on the publisher's website, so I guess it is correct. It also sounds quite like something Bruce would choose for a title.

According to the man himself,

“It’ll be a book of tall tales,” he says. “I’m not doing a biography because I hope that’s a little bit early yet. I’ve done quite a few odd and peculiar things in my life, not just Iron Maiden, there’s a few good stories kicking around. The main idea of the book is to entertain other people, not entertain myself. They won’t be works of fiction but on occasion you think you couldn’t make it up.

Source: interview with Courier Mail, via www.brucefans.net http://www.brucefans.net/bruce-talks-about-his-future-plans-solo-album-autobiography-and-more/

Back