UK Politics

The Daily Express is going to be insufferable tomorrow. Nothing would please me more to see it get shut down.

GIrWshK.jpg

To be safe, I cashed in 6 months of each of my kids school payments out of investments yesterday after the run up when it looked like remain would win. Going to buy them back shortly at a discount. That worked out nicely.

I do think the "lost the right to live .. work and any other rights is a bit premature. Nothing is changing for at least 2 years an no one knows what the final outcome will be until it is negotiated. The only thing known now is the UK will be less integrated with the EU and to what extent will not be known until October 2018 at the earliest.

I do think the "lost the right to live .. work and any other rights is a bit premature. Nothing is changing for at least 2 years an no one knows what the final outcome will be until it is negotiated. The only thing known now is the UK will be less integrated with the EU and to what extent will not be known until October 2018 at the earliest.

Not necessarily. With the UK almost officially gone, the EU will be far less complacent. Judging by the precedent set by the right-wing populism rising, it's going to much, much less integrated.

Not necessarily. With the UK almost officially gone, the EU will be far less complacent. Judging by the precedent set by the right-wing populism rising, it's going to much, much less integrated.

Maybe, maybe not. My point is we do not know and much can change in the next (at least) 2 years and 4 months. It will be less integrated, that is for certain. How much less integrated is the question.

The good thing for all this is that it might force the EU to focus on important issues and come up with a common vision on Foreign policy, migration, economics and less focus on stupid things like how much sugar is in some national dessert. I read a good quote that the question is not more or less but it is more and less

Last edited:
I can't believe this has even happened; I'm in total shock.

This was a vote for old Britain; a vote for the uneducated; a vote for xenophobia & prejudice; a vote for foreigner-mistrusters & for migrant-haters; a vote for bigots, and for racists; a vote for the narrow-minded & the inward-looking; a vote for the misinformed, and the selfish; a vote against "The Establishment" & a vote for mistrust; a negative vote against everything & for very little; a vote for years of financial uncertainty; a vote for UK constitutional chaos; a vote for English "independence". A vote for Little England.

If you voted Leave, this is sadly the company you're in. Is this what control feels like? The markets have reacted with total hysteria; Cameron is gone; Labour has totally lost its political compass; there's talk of a border poll in NI (a referendum on a united Ireland); and a second Scottish Independence Referendum is almost inevitable.
@CriedWhenBrucieLeft where the hell are you? Reaction on the Brexit please.
I have a partner who isn't a British National; I'm in a precarious current employment situation, without a permanent contract; I don't have kids, but I really worry about the lack of support for Leave by the next generation. This was unexpected, unnecessary; it feels politically dangerous. I'm not happy; it's feels like a terrible decision. But we will see how things develop.

Last edited:
At this point, it wouldn't surprise me if the IRA experience a resurgence.

I was thinking about this today. But a peaceful movement to unite Ireland is more likely to happen than IRA starting to get violent again, I feel.

You described your observations very well @CriedWhenBrucieLeft. I hope things won't turn out difficult for you and your partner. I have experienced myself the difference between having a partner from a country outside and inside the EU (the country in question became a member in 2004).

Check this out:

The British are frantically Googling what the E.U. is, hours after voting to leave it

The whole world is reeling after a milestone referendum in Britain to leave the European Union. And although leaders of the campaign to exit Europe are crowing over their victory, it seems many Britons may not even know what they had actually voted for.

Awakening to a stock market plunge and a precipitous decline in the value of the pound that Britain hasn't seen in more than 30 years, voters now face a series of economic shocks that analysts say will only worsen before they improve. The consequences of the leave vote will be felt worldwide, even here in the United States, and some British voters say they now regret casting a ballot in favor of Brexit.

"Even though I voted to leave, this morning I woke up and I just — the reality did actually hit me," one woman told the news channel ITV News. "If I'd had the opportunity to vote again, it would be to stay."

:facepalm:

Meanwhile:
More than 700,000 sign petition for second referendum

(that's almost 900.000 at the moment)

More than half a million people have signed a parliamentary petition calling for a second referendum of the UK's membership of the EU.

An unprecedented surge of people trying to access the page briefly caused the official petition website to crash as many Britons shocked by the referendum result tried to engineer a re-run.
By Saturday morning more than 700,000 people has signed, well over the figure at which an issue is formally considered for a debate in parliament.

The petition, set up by William Oliver Healey, states: "We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the Remain or Leave vote is less than 60% based on a turnout less than 75%, there should be another referendum."

On Thursday 51.9% of votes were cast to leave the EU, versus 48.1% for remaining part of the bloc.

Meanwhile nearly 100,000 people signed a petition calling on London Mayor Sadiq Khan to declare the capital independent from the UK and apply to join the European Union.

Last edited:
Back