Bond, James Bond

Watched A View to a Kill on TV today before football started (haven't watched it in years and didn't really pay much attention to it during the recent marathon I had). I know Moore gets a bad rap, and this movie certainly has issues, but there is something almost comforting about his take on Bond - it's silly spy fantasy popcorn entertainment that's nice to have on in the background (it's not too dark/violent for the kids, but there is enough action to be interesting). I think you have to be in the right mood/mindset to watch it.

Having said all of that, the girl in this one was terrible.
Yeah, it is not as horrid as made out to be, but there are really some huge flaws in it .. and the casting was one of them. I watched it on a plane earlier this year and was thinking recast pretty much the entire movie and it could have been pretty decent. I like Walken, but the writing for him made for a pretty poor bad guy

Wasn't it true that David Bowie was intended to be the bad guy? Yeah, I think if it had some re-castings (and some better writing) it would have fared better. The blimp exit scene is still both hilariously cheesy & cool though (I wish the mannequin wasn't so obvious).

I do remember quite a few theme songs with a music video. But we are talking Duran Duran in this case, and they were very big on their music videos!

View To A Kill, while it does have some very entertaining moments and a cool theme tune, is the point where Roger Moore went too far into the sleazy older guy camp. The Bond girl was screamy as hell and very irritating, I remember. Grace Jones was a great henchman/woman. Walken was a disappointment.

I think Duran Duran was the first big contemporary pop band to do a Bond tune (I remember my mom freaking out in the 80s "we don't need weird hair hooligans involved in our Bond movies!"), which is why it was a big deal. In retrospect, it was completely tame (and now completely normal), but it was a little 'edgy' for people back in the day...I guess some people felt it was the equivalent of Nile doing a Bond title song now. (OK, THAT would be awesome).

Grace Jones was the cool part - one of the better henchpersons of the series. Walken had his moments, but I don't think the script gave him enough chances to be his eerie/oddball self.

That's just your Mom :p Bond films went very 80s and Duran Duran were very 80s = perfect combination. A-ha also did a Bond theme, although in the Dalton era, and it's not so well known.

That's just your Mom :p Bond films went very 80s and Duran Duran were very 80s = perfect combination. A-ha also did a Bond theme, although in the Dalton era, and it's not so well known.

Yep - she was pretty conservative!

The Living Daylights was another good pop Bond tune. I don't think any of the modern films have had a really memorable one. I thought the Chris Cornell one was kinda weird. I would still love to hear Nile do one :dancinggeek:.

Bond films went very 80s and Duran Duran were very 80s = perfect combination

Yes. and music videos WERE very 80s!! It was also the first time the Bond title song had been done by a group since Paul McCartney and Wings when they did Live And Let Die in the 70s...All of the in between songs had been done by solo female artists...

My original argument = destroyed. Forgot about McCartney!

Killer tune, too.

Edit: I blame my mom.

Last edited:
Yeah awesome track. Note that in the video clip they have someone "blow McCartney up" in the studio at the end...that probably wouldn't have worked today :p

Also, that's Linda McCartney, his wife, and part of Wings that you see sitting in the cinema with him and who does the backing vocals on the track. Funny to see the popcorn bags they're eating from from those times too.....Looks like nothing compared to the big buckets we get at the cinema today :p

Last edited:
Yep - she was pretty conservative!

The Living Daylights was another good pop Bond tune. I don't think any of the modern films have had a really memorable one. I thought the Chris Cornell one was kinda weird. I would still love to hear Nile do one :dancinggeek:.
Skyfall is a very good song.

My favourite BOND movie is YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE (1967) but I also have these

1) View to a Kill - 1985
2) Octopussy - 1983
3) For your eyes only - 1981

Last edited:
Saw Spectre for a 2nd time. Like the way the script ties the other Craig movies together. Plus I am a fan of Christoph Waltz as well as the new Q.

Back