1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood on the World's Hands

Discussion in 'The X Factor' started by Anonymous, Apr 11, 2004.

?

How good is Blood on the World's Hands on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

17.1%
  2. 9

11.4%
  3. 8

22.9%
  4. 7

20.0%
  5. 6

8.6%
  6. 5

8.6%
  7. 4

5.7%
  8. 3

2.9%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2.9%
  1. DJMayes

DJMayes Educated Fool

After some consideration, I've come to the conclusion this is my least favourite Iron Maiden song.

For me, this song is perhaps the perfect example of why I dislike The X Factor - and that's not Blaze Bayley. In fact, I'd put Blaze as probably the best bit of this song.

The bass intro is cool, and probably the best bit of the song. But after that, the main verse and choruses just chug along. I usually think of Maiden as quite an energetic band, and this lacks that energy, that spark (even the solos feel quite boring to me) as well as a hook to keep me interested until over 4 minutes in. Then Blaze's emotive "Blood on the worlds hands" finally gives the song something, before quickly dropping it again for the same chug that persists throughout the rest of the song.

On the whole this album is like this for me. It has some cool moments and it is certainly not irredeemable but in a lot of places and songs it feels like the band are exhausted, and the music suffers from it.

2. frus

frus Barbed Wire Hen

I wouldn't listen to X factor for 20 years because of this.
    However, if you give it a fair chance (for instance, pretend it's some different band), it can actually be very rewarding.
    I quite like Blood, gave it an 8

3. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Love the way this starts with a bass solo. It's really moody and a perfect way to start the song. The transition into the main song is a bit jarring, but I think that's more because of the production than the song itself. The transition sounds fine live. Love this song, really intense chorus. This is an example of socially conscious lyrics that are actually effective. The guitar solos are just as angry as Steve's lyrics. Love the half time chorus after the guitar solos. That was created to be an awesome live moment.

The sudden ending is perfect.

One of the great overlooked tracks from this era. If I had to choose one song from the Blaze albums for Bruce to sing today, this would be it without question.

Forostar likes this.
  4. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Not keen on the bass intro to be honest and the vocal is off key and grates. Some decent heavy riffing can't save it

5. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

Blaze and Steve are great on this track. It's a heavy monster. Never loved the chorus, but I like some of the guitarwork. 6/10.

6. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

8/10 fires Blazing stronger than before.

Blood on the World’s Hands brings things up again. The intro bass solo is pointless, Steve flubs a couple landings and the strange phaser effect does nothing to help his sound. Sorry, Steve. A solid harmonic hook and a great chorus drive this song, despite another plodding and simplistic verse where the vocals follow the guitar, which follows the bass, yada yada. There is a twisty, odd-metre riff in the bridge that is rather fantastic. This song has really grown on me over time, mostly due to the swirling music during the pre-chorus/chorus "out of control" part.

7. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Come to the Sabbath

Love the way it starts, and the song as a whole is pretty strong. Nothing more to say really. 8/10.